Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 13

Nails
Well, I won't go into their hexes and harvest without their approval. I consider them friends and so I don't want to go to war with them. Unfortunately, friends and allies don't get a better deal for black.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Nails
Well, I won't go into their hexes and harvest without their approval. I consider them friends and so I don't want to go to war with them. Unfortunately, friends and allies don't get a better deal for black.

Maybe we can make a separate thread on this matter?
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Decius
I like the idea of globally scarce resources, but maybe globally scarce shouldn't also be very local?
Duffy Swiftshadow
Edam
The issues is NOT people locking up the black (something that can be fought out in game if people really wanted to do something about it) it is that there is simply not enough black to go around which imposes an unbalanced limitation on wizard players versus everyone else.

True, the actual amount of Black you can safely harvest is not particularly high and a week's worth will make maybe two or three books at best, but the problem still stands that it's constantly stripped which decreases the amount that's available even further to make a book every few weeks. Going to war over that stripping is difficult because stripping is trivially easy to maintain once it's been done the first time. And even if you want to the 'punishment' available is burn down their settlement…the only real option available for every offense which now may require slogging thru their holdings for weeks. Seems disproportionate and unfulfilling.
Flari-Merchant
I think that at least increasing the available Black, and PR allowing some trading for it will make for a better atmosphere. No one likes to have put so much time and blood and sweat into their characters only to be stuck using inferior tools.

If it isn't made available in other hexes <shrug>, I don't really see any problem with any types of control over what the Gods have left to you in your areas, as long as you can hold them! smile Nor would I mind if the price for it reflected someone's control over it and it's scarcity. It isn't as if anyone that can use a T3 spell book doesn't have ways to be prosperous. Yes it is true that coin is almost without value when compared to T3 materials. You just have to find out what they want.

On resource distribution, I admit I am a bit sad that general materials probably will not be tightened up and more regionalized. Scarcity could definitely empower all kinds of possible content that is pointless ATM. I can get whatever I need(except T3) in pretty much every region on the map with little need to trade for it, fight for it or steal it. <—Lots of content left on the table there for all three of those activities.

We should be encouraged, TO PLAY THE GAME'S POTENTIAL, because of local scarcity of some of the things we need.
Nihimon
Once a hex has been stripped bare, how much time per day does it take to keep it stripped bare? Is the system intentionally set up to allow a small number of players willing to log on at odd hours to virtually eliminate the global supply of a particular T3 resource?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

Since you have asked, I wouldn't mind reading about your plans for "Raiding".
Duffy Swiftshadow
Nihimon
Once a hex has been stripped bare, how much time per day does it take to keep it stripped bare? Is the system intentionally set up to allow a small number of players willing to log on at odd hours to virtually eliminate the global supply of a particular T3 resource?

So I believe it's still governed by this formula

Every 15 minutes there is a chance equal to (current value/original value) that the resource will increase an amount equal to 1% of it's full value.

Most T3 have about 40ish per quality, lets round up to 50 for simplicity. So the total theoretical black is about 200 in a hex. Even if it's gathered down to 100 there's a 50% chance to generate 2 more black every 15 minutes; if that is left alone for 15 mins the next chance is 51% and so on and so forth. Without getting into a more complex probability series problem there's about 92 regeneration chances a day to generate 1% that in turn increases the chance. At a 50% chance the odds of recovering most or all from the halfway point in a single 24 hour period is pretty good.

But the lower you get below 50% the worse things start to get. If we're down to say 10 left in the hex out of 200 the chance to regenerate is only 5%, which means the odds to NOT regenerate is 95%. And since any growth is still only adding 1% to that chance, it is very reasonable that it would take more than those 92 chances in a day to recover as you would be hitting only a handful a day. So roughly you should see it jump to a bit less than 9% on day 1, then about 19% on day 2, then 30% on day 3, and from there it can be as short as a day or two. But even then we're still looking at about 3-5 days minimum if it's left alone, but bad luck can make it a lot longer. So if a hex is stripped and say 3-5 people just sample it each day to see what it's at, it will probably remained stripped just from that alone.

Now I seem to recall that there is a flat base chance it can't go below, I think it 10% or 15% but I can't find a quote for that right now so I'm assuming I'm making stuff up in my head until proven otherwise. Even if that is true, the low end probabilities are still pretty rough, it may shave a day off at best.

It might be smarter to remove the random chance (or make that a small bonus to growth) and instead make regrowth far more predictable. That could generate better interactions because then patterns can be predicted, it removes some of the uncertainty and clearly indicates approximate recovery timelines. Which means if it doesn't recover you know for a fact it's being stripped and can narrow the time range with some work. Might need to elongate the scale in this sort of example, but it might work. Also might require less tweaking when/if GW need to scale the base amounts up.
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
Since you have asked, I wouldn't mind reading about your plans for "Raiding".

I'll post a more detailed thread about this on Monday.
Bob
Duffy Swiftshadow
Nihimon
Once a hex has been stripped bare, how much time per day does it take to keep it stripped bare? Is the system intentionally set up to allow a small number of players willing to log on at odd hours to virtually eliminate the global supply of a particular T3 resource?

So I believe it's still governed by this formula

Every 15 minutes there is a chance equal to (current value/original value) that the resource will increase an amount equal to 1% of it's full value.

Most T3 have about 40ish per quality, lets round up to 50 for simplicity. So the total theoretical black is about 200 in a hex. Even if it's gathered down to 100 there's a 50% chance to generate 2 more black every 15 minutes; if that is left alone for 15 mins the next chance is 51% and so on and so forth. Without getting into a more complex probability series problem there's about 92 regeneration chances a day to generate 1% that in turn increases the chance. At a 50% chance the odds of recovering most or all from the halfway point in a single 24 hour period is pretty good.

But the lower you get below 50% the worse things start to get. If we're down to say 10 left in the hex out of 200 the chance to regenerate is only 5%, which means the odds to NOT regenerate is 95%. And since any growth is still only adding 1% to that chance, it is very reasonable that it would take more than those 92 chances in a day to recover as you would be hitting only a handful a day. So roughly you should see it jump to a bit less than 9% on day 1, then about 19% on day 2, then 30% on day 3, and from there it can be as short as a day or two. But even then we're still looking at about 3-5 days minimum if it's left alone, but bad luck can make it a lot longer. So if a hex is stripped and say 3-5 people just sample it each day to see what it's at, it will probably remained stripped just from that alone.

Now I seem to recall that there is a flat base chance it can't go below, I think it 10% or 15% but I can't find a quote for that right now so I'm assuming I'm making stuff up in my head until proven otherwise. Even if that is true, the low end probabilities are still pretty rough, it may shave a day off at best.

It might be smarter to remove the random chance (or make that a small bonus to growth) and instead make regrowth far more predictable. That could generate better interactions because then patterns can be predicted, it removes some of the uncertainty and clearly indicates approximate recovery timelines. Which means if it doesn't recover you know for a fact it's being stripped and can narrow the time range with some work. Might need to elongate the scale in this sort of example, but it might work. Also might require less tweaking when/if GW need to scale the base amounts up.

Resource regeneration does still follow that basic equation, and the minimum chance for regeneration is very low. As a result, keeping a hex strip-mined can be pretty easy, and regenerating once strip-mined can take quite a while. Even just regularly checking on the state of the hex by sampling can slow the regeneration process down significantly. I don't know whether or not we'll be able to re-examine that system as part of this rebalance, but it's something I'd very much like to review at some point.
 
You must be logged into an enrolled account to post