Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 13

Flari-Merchant
Fiery
I'll amend my statement because you're misconstruing it - I don't currently sell anything for coin for reasons beyond ability to buy market items, so it would take more than what your example addresses to get me to sell anything for coin, and I have no concept of what a coin price for much of anything would look like at that point. You're asking me an amazingly complicated question that I would need to be prescient to answer, so any answer I could give would almost certainly be wrong or meaningless. My inability to answer the question is not tied to the value of black, or to my unwillingness to state a value, so you're conflating issues in ways that simply are misleading.

Easy Tiger! I did write in my reply that it would have to be a custom trade did I not? There is nothing wrong with that. We have made successful trades with you that I think were mutually beneficial.

The fact remains that lots of players are unable to have access to their character's abilities because they don't even know if you WILL trade some black or craft spell books for sale. Not really your fault if THEY WILL NOT ASK YOU ABOUT IT! <—That's a hint for bookless Wizards.
Just trying to start a dialogue. You will find yourself stripped constantly if there isn't at least a minor meeting of demand for black. Or maybe it doesn't matter to naughty players either way, but I am only trying to help you out.
Bob
Nihimon
plopmania
Could the upcoming gushers offer some assistance in breaking the locality problem of resources; While T3 gushers (of the right types) would be rare, freeing them from the locality constraints of the resources they are offering would add some extent of protection against complete resource monopolies.

I'm very curious about how Gushers are going to interact with Resource Ratings as well.

If Gushers lower resource ratings the same way that regular Gathering does, then I expect most players would look on Gushers as a nuisance rather than a reward.

If the Gushers provide top-quality resources without regard for - and without impacting - the hex's current rating, then I think that solves a number of problems, and completely obviates any need to create other systems to address the "Black" issue. The whole problem becomes "can you operate in the hex long enough to strike a Gusher?"

Gushers are intended to impact the available resources in a hex, but in a way that potentially lets you get more resources out than are removed from the hex. Essentially, the design calls for removing X of that resource from the hex as soon as the harvesting kit is built, but then producing anywhere from 1X-5X (2X-3X would probably be typical) of that resource over the harvesting kits lifetime, assuming it's kept running that whole time and isn't destroyed early by monsters or other players.

That said, that's the original somewhat complicated design. We'll almost definitely have to simplify things to get this feature in within a reasonable amount of time, and this aspect may be one of the things we have to simplify. That's something we won't be sure of until we get into the details of implementation.
Fiery
We have a current policy of trading black to all groups, bringslite, but stripping remains a problem that threatens all trade of black. If anyone wants to trade for black, they merely need to talk to us and negotiate. As long as poaching continues though, which I don't expect will stop, quantities available for trade will be limited. I am well aware of the consequences of black not being open to trade for, which is why I made it a point to to offer it and our other resources for trade to hrc after the war, as part of the peace process, though they dissolved before the moratorium of maybe 30 days. We have offered to trade to certain bandits found poaching our resources. The black is there for trade, and prices can be negotiated, but it won't be cheap that's true. I'm sure there are a fair number of people that will refuse the prices we expect, and will thus prefer to poach, or people who don't like to feed monopolistic control of resources.
Bob
Decius
Would it break anything to simply have all of the resources in a hex regenerate fully on defeating an escalation? I know there was some pre-alpha discussion about escalations depleting resources, because somebody posted a picture of a whiteboard.

It's an interesting thought, and we do want to eventually have it feel like clearing an escalation really opens things up for more efficient gathering. It might create a temptation to just constantly strip-mine monster hexes, with the knowledge that they'll return to full when the next escalation is cleared, but perhaps some variation on this theme would do the trick. Worth keeping in mind when we get around to coming up with the final plan.
Flari-Merchant
Fiery
We have a current policy of trading black to all groups, bringslite, but stripping remains a problem that threatens all trade of black. If anyone wants to trade for black, they merely need to talk to us and negotiate. As long as poaching continues though, which I don't expect will stop, quantities available for trade will be limited. I am well aware of the consequences of black not being open to trade for, which is why I made it a point to to offer it and our other resources for trade to hrc after the war, as part of the peace process, though they dissolved before the moratorium of maybe 30 days. We have offered to trade to certain bandits found poaching our resources. The black is there for trade, and prices can be negotiated, but it won't be cheap that's true. I'm sure there are a fair number of people that will refuse the prices we expect, and will thus prefer to poach, or people who don't like to feed monopolistic control of resources.
Well I didn't know all of that. It sounds like you guys are at least trying on your side of things. Which isn't something that you are obliged to do.
I am not regularly mining plat like I used to but I do several times/week as do many Dominion players. I haven't seen myself or heard that those hexes have been stripped in a long time. Platinum is far less in demand but there are only about 56 pieces available at top level.
Fiery
Of note, tight control of platinum would be nearly, if not more, crippling than black. Much less is used per item, but it is necessary to make a number of things. The resource problem this game has extends far beyond black, even though black is the elephant in the room.
Flari-Merchant
Fiery
Of note, tight control of platinum would be nearly, if not more, crippling than black. Much less is used per item, but it is necessary to make a number of things. The resource problem this game has extends far beyond black, even though black is the elephant in the room.
Well I had thought that as well. That fact is though, no one clamors for it and I have not seen many people around the area, though I do know of one I have seen enough times to wonder about. smile He knows who he is. Since whomever is getting their platinum is not stripping it and we are not around that area much… I at least am not making a point of watching the plat fields.
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite of Staalgard
… I at least am not making a point of watching the plat fields.

Well, there goes the neighborhood. Do you also post on Facebook that you routinely go on vacation and don't lock your front door? smile
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Flari-Merchant
Is that bad? I usually just post in the personals… "Unlocked house seeks strong man or men with moving van." smile
Midnight
Duffy Swiftshadow
I think I agree that limiting T3 because it's not really supposed to be worn day to day is a good reason for scarcity and something we're kinda losing sight of since Threading has been on the back burner for so long. So keeping it scarce and something we can fight over and thus reasonably paying 'gear resource' costs to acquire is a sound concept.

However, making it relatively easy to maintain dominance over the resource by either denial stripping or a hard control mechanic is really not appealing and lends even more favor towards 'hard mechanical' blob tendencies. I would rather see something where X decent amount is somewhat predictably appearing and folks rush to fight over it versus what we have today or a hard limitation like structure control mechanically blocking 'non owner' gathering. We need more incidental PvP opportunity and less structure/holding/siege PvP.

Edit: Perhaps something like gushers granting bonus T3 material (maybe less than non-t3 material but still better than the 0 from stripping) that only appear during fallow times?

I agree.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post