Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Raiding

Bob
There actually is a logout timer of sorts in the game, though it's not necessarily obvious to the player logging out. After you quit your game client, your character actually sticks around on the server defenseless until they're out of combat for about 10 seconds. So you could log out if there aren't any enemies nearby, but doing so while anyone's there to attack you is extremely risky.

We could increase that timer a bit, but we don't currently want to make it so long that someone's likely to arrive from out-of-sight and start attacking you. In the long-run, we'd like to make it clearer when you log out, probably with the option to either stick around until your character is free to log out (so you can jump in and defend yourself if necessary) or to just cross your fingers and quit the client because you're in a hurry. At that point, we could more easily consider a longer timer.
Bob
I agree that infinite inventories on logged-out alts has some problems, but it's going to require a lot of thought to get that system right. Those kinds of issues were intended to be explored once we get to the Death tech (particularly the part where you'd always log back in at a shrine), but we may have to consider shorter-term answers if problematic behaviors become common.
Maxen
City of Heroes had a 30 second visible countdown. You could stay logged in and interrupt it if you chose. Or you could "log out now". You'd still be vulnerable for those 30 seconds until your character disappeared. That's what I was envisioning.
Mistwalker
As a temporary solution, how about you can't log out when so encumbered that you can't move, unless you are at a bank.

Might be a small issue if you have internet issues, and stay logged in in the wilderness.
Bob
Mistwalker
As a temporary solution, how about you can't log out when so encumbered that you can't move, unless you are at a bank.

Might be a small issue if you have internet issues, and stay logged in in the wilderness.

Eventually, everyone gets logged out for Daily Maintenance, so that would have to be part of the consideration. Still, something like this would at least leave you vulnerable until that point, so it could help with any problems of characters overloading from a raid then logging out until a safer time. For problems of alts acting like banks, it would just push people to stock the alt up right before Daily Maintenance.

Still, we're eventually going to have to tackle the issue of inventories when logging off, and encumbrance will likely be an important part of any solution.
Tyncale
Would it be hard to code for Character Inventories to stop taking items the moment the character is max encumbered? I.e. when both gauges of the Encumbrance meter are filled?
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Bob
Tyncale
Would it be hard to code for Character Inventories to stop taking items the moment the character is max encumbered? I.e. when both gauges of the Encumbrance meter are filled?

It would be a little tricky just because we'd have to consider all the different ways that things can get moved into inventory, and we'd probably have to write the restriction into each circumstance. For things like transferring from a vault to inventory, or from a mule to inventory, we could pretty easily just reject the transfer. Not hugely complicated, but again, we'd probably have to find all the similar cases and put in a tiny bit of code to check the encumbrance and potentially reject the transaction.

Things get trickier when you start thinking about trades (which essentially create a separate escrow inventory that gets returned or transferred when the sale is rejected or accepted. They also get weirder with auto-looting, though we could probably just not worry about overloading you in that case, since you probably can't do much looting while immobile.

These are all things that have solutions, and we'd like to tackle them eventually, but inventory feeds in and out of so many systems that we'll need more time and resources to tackle it properly.
Tyncale
Once again I learn something about the multiheaded Monster that is Game Development. Thanks Bob. smile
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

To summarize Raiding:

*Raids are eligible at any time that outposts are in a "vulnerable to capture" state.
*Raids neither capture nor destroy-degrade a holding.
*Raids follow feud rules except they require only 1 hour pre set and bypass capturing outposts for direct attack on holdings.
*When holding guards are defeated and holding capture points are achieved, a husk will drop near the holding that contains that holding's daily produce and 5% of the Bulk inside the Holding Upkeep vault.
*The "husk" will act, and be accessible according to the mechanics of a "non owner" husk with a 2 hour lifetime.

Is that about right?
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
@ Bob

To summarize Raiding:

*Raids are eligible at any time that outposts are in a "vulnerable to capture" state.
*Raids neither capture nor destroy-degrade a holding.
*Raids follow feud rules except they require only 1 hour pre set and bypass capturing outposts for direct attack on holdings.
*When holding guards are defeated and holding capture points are achieved, a husk will drop near the holding that contains that holding's daily produce and 5% of the Bulk inside the Holding Upkeep vault.
*The "husk" will act, and be accessible according to the mechanics of a player husk with a 2 hour lifetime.

Is that about right?

That all sounds right. Just to be super-clear on one tiny detail, the husk will be a little different than a typical player husk in that it won't have an owner, so all players will be treated as "not the owner" and nobody can just take everything from the husk at once.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post