Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Gushers, Rank 14, Effort

Wolf of Rathglen
I'd put this is a more specific category, but all those seem to be closed down now. I hope as part of paring down the Goblinworks site. [Edit: as soon as I posted those sub-forums are back. Strange.)

*@Bob - Can you say a little more about harvesting kits themselves? Will we need a a kit made of refined T3 materials to get raw T3 materials from a gusher? Does a higher + equate to more Effort right now, and what will it mean after our skill generates the Effort? What feat and materials are involved; pretty sure Engineer but are kits capable of harvesting T3 going to be made entirely of refined T3 components or many T2 components and rank 15+ skill? (All advanced harvesting kits are camouflaged with a thick slathering of Black!)

*Has anyone trained already past Rank 14 harvesting before EE13 plans were announced?

*With total skill affecting your chances of uncovering a gusher right away, and eventually how productive they will be, are you dropping other plans to train more ranks of armor, feature, and gathering feats to get a specific harvesting skill as high as possible, spreading training among all known harvesting, or just letting it ride at 14 for materials:xp efficiency?
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.
Forgetful
Yes, I have a gatherer past level 14.
Flari-Merchant
Bringing over what was written previously:
Bob
Wolf of Rathglen
Question 1- As for the intended proportions of where we gather from, are EE13 gushers (or their progeny soon after) intended to replace serial node harvesting as the majority source for raw materials? (So in the age of gushers serial node harvesting yields noticeably less than it does today).

We're not currently planning on changing the standard gathering rates anytime soon, but we'll see what happens once gushers are active. What's important is that gushers produce significantly more resources over the same amount of time compared to standard gathering, and are easier on a hex's total resources, at least assuming you manage to extract the full value of the gusher.

Wolf of Rathglen
Question 2- What does the gusher look at on a character for variables? Rank 7 and 14 for T2 and T3 materials I'm sure, does 200 total skill get a noticeably higher or faster T3 yield from placing the harvesting kit than 150 skill

Your total skill primarily effects the chances that any given node you try to gather from reveals a gusher. It doesn't currently affect the rate the gusher delivers materials, but it is supposed to do so once we create an ability to sign into a harvesting kit to contribute to its Effort, just as we intend to do something similar for Outposts. For now, Effort is based on the quality of the kit and its upgrade.

Your rank affects what materials you can find at gushers, just as expected.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Flari-Merchant
I also have a gatherer past 14.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Wolf of Rathglen
Can you say a little more about harvesting kits themselves? Will we need a a kit made of refined T3 materials to get raw T3 materials from a gusher? Does a higher + equate to more Effort right now, and what will it mean after our skill generates the Effort? What feat and materials are involved; pretty sure Engineer but are kits capable of harvesting T3 going to be made entirely of refined T3 components or many T2 components and rank 15+ skill? (All advanced harvesting kits are camouflaged with a thick slathering of Black!)

We've been discussing whether a T3 kit would be required to harvest a T3 gusher. It makes a fair amount of sense, but wasn't in the original design. Instead, you would mostly want a T3 kit for a T3 gusher because with the materials harvested being so valuable, you'd want to gather them as quickly as possible and a higher tier/upgrade would let you do that.

When we eventually look at incorporating effort from signed-on characters into the kit's production rate, we'll probably rebalance things by reducing the inherent effort coming from the kit's tier/upgrade, and perhaps multiply the effort from individuals by a modifier based on tier/upgrade, with the goal being that a kit with a reasonable number of reasonably-skilled characters signed on would generally produce at the roughly the same rate that the kit does now without bothering to require signed-on characters.

The recipes haven't been created yet, but they'll almost certainly be Engineer recipes. I'm leaning toward having them include Worker's Tools, then perhaps some appropriate T1/2/3 refined goods. The goal will be to keep them cheap enough to be worth using regularly, so the amount of materials involved in a single kit will be significantly lower than the increased amount of resources a gusher makes available.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

You have mentioned crews and "reasonably number of reasonably-skilled characters signed on" which the latter I expect refers to an iteration involving "effort". In the meantime however, is the first kit version's mechanics going to require more than one player to operate, assuming that one player can fend off the NPCs well enough alone?

Will kits be fairly light for carrying around considering the weight of things like holding, outpost and even building kits?
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
You have mentioned crews and "reasonably number of reasonably-skilled characters signed on" which the latter I expect refers to an iteration involving "effort". In the meantime however, is the first kit version's mechanics going to require more than one player to operate, assuming that one player can fend off the NPCs well enough alone?

Will kits be fairly light for carrying around considering the weight of things like holding, outpost and even building kits?

Yup, the whole thing about signed-on characters is about getting to a form of effort that incorporates the number of characters signed-on to a particular task and the skills those characters have. It's not currently on the roadmap, but it's still something we want to revisit in the future.

For the moment, there is no requirement that any specific players stick around at all while the harvesting kit is operating, aside from the fact that it will be overrun by monsters fairly quickly and destroyed if nobody defends it. The character who placed it does currently have the advantage of treating the husk as their own and doesn't have to remove items as slowly as other players, but that's a fairly limited advantage and something we can consider changing up a bit.

So if one character can handle the waves of monsters, then only one character needs to stick around.

I don't intend to make the kits particularly heavy, but they won't be indestructible, so there'll be some risk to carrying them around all the time.
Flari-Merchant
Thanks. smile
uotopia@msn.com
Garric Orcsbane
I too have Gatherers past 14 but will admit it was mostly for stat gates.
Midnight
Bob, are you saying there will be no way to equip the harvesting kit on a character's paperdoll and it will always be part of inventory, and thus always drop on death (if it survives the 25% destruction on death roll)?

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post