Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Harvesting (aka Gushers)

Bob
You are a Troll
1. Only a single resource is *gushing* from the Harvesting Node, even though other nodes of that type in hex might give 2-7 different types of raw mats?

Correct, Harvesting Nodes are restricted to a single resource.

You are a Troll
2. "The resulting Harvesting Site starts operating immediately after construction and immediately drains the hex of 100 units of its raw material." What if the hex does not currently have 100 units of the raw material left in it? What if it never does, even when the hex is filled to max?

Harvesting Kits can be placed even if the resource rating is below 100, it just results in a negative resource rating. That resource can't be gathered until its rating recovers to a positive number. Fortunately, recovery from negative ratings is actually quicker than recovery from low ratings.

You are a Troll
3. Will the quality and the weight of the raw material provided by the node be all at one level, or will it drop in quality just as if someone was normally gathering that much from the hex?

The quality/weight is set when the Harvesting Node is found, based on the current quality rating for the hex, and everything harvested there will be of that quality/weight.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
You are a Troll
1. Only a single resource is *gushing* from the Harvesting Node, even though other nodes of that type in hex might give 2-7 different types of raw mats?

Correct, Harvesting Nodes are restricted to a single resource.
You are a Troll
2. "The resulting Harvesting Site starts operating immediately after construction and immediately drains the hex of 100 units of its raw material." What if the hex does not currently have 100 units of the raw material left in it? What if it never does, even when the hex is filled to max?

Harvesting Kits can be placed even if the resource rating is below 100, it just results in a negative resource rating. That resource can't be gathered until its rating recovers to a positive number. Fortunately, recovery from negative ratings is actually quicker than recovery from low ratings.

You are a Troll
3. Will the quality and the weight of the raw material provided by the node be all at one level, or will it drop in quality just as if someone was normally gathering that much from the hex?

Bob
The quality/weight is set when the Harvesting Node is found, based on the current quality rating for the hex, and everything harvested there will be of that quality/weight.

Running off of that question, is it possible(example) to know what resource will be "gushing" before the kit is placed? Could a gatherer in a T3 hex with a T3 kit hit a gusher and find out he is getting only iron ore from the kit?
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
Running off of that question, is it possible(example) to know what resource will be "gushing" before the kit is placed? Could a gatherer in a T3 hex with a T3 kit hit a gusher and find out he is getting only iron ore from the kit?

When you find the Harvesting Node, you also get a chat message telling you what resource/quality it will produce and what tier of Harvesting Kit is required, along with a reminder that you have one hour to place the kit. We wanted you to have all that information upfront so you can make decisions about which kit to use and how many friends to bring along.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard

When you find the Harvesting Node, you also get a chat message telling you what resource/quality it will produce and what tier of Harvesting Kit is required, along with a reminder that you have one hour to place the kit. We wanted you to have all that information upfront so you can make decisions about which kit to use and how many friends to bring along.
Very nice touch!
Duffy Swiftshadow
So after reading this I don't ever see actually wanting to use one except for maybe Essence nodes. For everything else it looks like it will only be more time efficient at the highest +s which seems like a waste of resources for the kits at the higher tier levels and it's actually potentially more troublesome with the mobs attacking and getting people to come defend than to just gathering the 100 resources by hand over 30ish mins yourself, particularly in the T3 hexes.

I feel like I'm missing something but I've read it a few times and I got nothing.
Flari-Merchant
Duffy Swiftshadow
So after reading this I don't ever see actually wanting to use one except for maybe Essence nodes. For everything else it looks like it will only be more time efficient at the highest +s which seems like a waste of resources for the kits at the higher tier levels and it's actually potentially more troublesome with the mobs attacking and getting people to come defend than to just gathering the 100 resources by hand over 30ish mins yourself, particularly in the T3 hexes.

I feel like I'm missing something but I've read it a few times and I got nothing.

For me, the potential value that I see is the concentration of specific resources that only dribble into my bag at a SLOW rate normally. Right now most players(at least those I talk to) are trying to gather very specific things if and when they bother to gather at all. In the right hex and with skill, gathering 300 "pieces" of mats is very doable without a "gusher". They are always a mix of things, however.

My three most prevalent concerns:

1. Being able to find friends at odd times willing to travel to you to help on short notice and possibly a fair distance. That is not too much worry at T1 as the NPCs are far less dangerous so they can likely be solo'ed.

2. "increasingly large/difficult waves of creatures" gives me a bit of concern that many T2 and definitely T3 successive waves will be impossible to handle alone so the take will have to be shared or communal. That isn't bad in itself for an "all-for-one, one-for-all" group economy. 300 pieces as a "good" haul but divided between maybe 4 to 6 players in an hour of work isn't that great.

3. With both the above and the potential risk + vulnerability to players, a few trips to Pharasma will really kill all value possible in the endeavor.

Edit: I do suppose that what I am feeling is that a "gusher" should FEEL like a "GUSHER". It should be mule worthy and possibly multiple trips mule worthy… Especially if it takes an hour and involves constant fighting for that hour. 300 hundred pieces can be easily carried by two guys or one with just a small speed penalty. Still even getting 300pieces of one specific thing can and does sound (to me) like it is potentially profitable and desireable in some cases.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Looks like I did miss something: the 100 resources removed is turned into 100 pulls of 1-5 of that resource. That makes the results much more time efficient, especially for a single resource and generates some without hurting the hex's rating. Much better than my initial impression.

I do agree with your other points. I'm also a little disappointed it doesn't seem like it will drive much PvP.
Flari-Merchant
Duffy Swiftshadow
Looks like I did miss something: the 100 resources removed is turned into 100 pulls of 1-5 of that resource. That makes the results much more time efficient, especially for a single resource and generates some without hurting the hex's rating. Much better than my initial impression.

I do agree with your other points. I'm also a little disappointed it doesn't seem like it will drive much PvP.
I wonder if the time of the harvesting were extended and correspondingly the potential "take", the rarity were dialed up some and finally, there were as server message…. something like "A Gusher has been Discovered in the Southern Cragthorns" might meet more enthusiasm or satisfy more concerns.
Flari-Merchant
Since it looks like I can craft +3 expert's kits for well under 50c/ea(based on opportunity/cost of just selling the raw mats to build it) and get 200-300 T1 pieces(of my preference) with a bit of fighting in an hour, I find the concept well worth the effort.

This doesn't take into account this mechanic adding to PVP opportunities yet, but between raiding and raiding those suffering NPC Invasion, I think I like it well enough. I do still wish that it could be much more product to FEEL like a gusher.

It does seem like it will add to the daily fun and opportunity for gatherers, crafters-merchants and even in general.

Thumbs Up from this peanut! smile
You are a Troll
Yeah, 500+ would feel more like a true GUSHER and I think the idea of a General Chat message that a Gusher has been found in xxxxxx region on the server would be great too.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post