Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Harvesting (aka Gushers)

Flari-Merchant
Bob
I've looked over the numbers for harvesting and gathering, and they do look a little underwhelming. The harvesting numbers are certainly very compelling in a lot of cases, but as expressed here, they often seem like just a small bump up in efficiency. I think the crux of the problem is that I'm using the original numbers for harvesting, but the gathering numbers were hacked to be doubled until harvesting was implemented. I'm loathe to slow down harvesting at this point, as the current gathering rewards don't seem too out-of-whack with the rewards for killing mobs and tackling escalations (in terms of rewards over time for similarly skilled characters). As such, I'm looking at doubling the number of resource cycles and halving the time between resource cycles for harvesting, meaning that you'd harvest twice as much in the same amount of time. There would still certainly be plenty of cases where a T3 gatherer wouldn't want to bother with T1 harvesting, but overall harvesting would be a lot more profitable. I'd also leave the drain on the hex's resources at 100, so the efficiency there would be more pronounced (since you'd get at least 200 resources out if the harvesting operation completes, and often more like 400-500).

Now you are getting into mule required territory for lone harvesters. I like it.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
Very few resources have 100+ pieces in any given hex. The exception being essences. Most any kit deployed that takes 100 of anything will damage that hex beyond responsible gathering levels if it takes one specific type of resource.

This is a very good point, and after checking the numbers there are indeed still lots of cases where particular resources start out at 100 or less. That has the potential to mean that the very resources you'd most want to harvest are the ones you really want to avoid harvesting.

I've been considering a change for a while now to resource regeneration that would make strip-mining a lot less punishing, and would thus also help with this problem. Currently, resources have a percentage chance of regenerating by 1% every 15 minutes, with the odds being the current percentage of that resource in the hex compared to its maximum value, with a minimum chance of 3%. When a resource is completely drained, that 3% chance means it could take a very long time before the resource recovers. And since the first part of that recover is so slow, even gathering a single unit of that resource during the early hours of recovery can significantly slow things down.

I'd like to try changing that chance to 50% plus half of the resource's current percentage, so the chance of regenerating would go from 50% to 100% as the resource recovers. That would still mean that a constantly strip-mined hex would overall produce half as much of that resource over time, but would typically recover 2-4% per hour, meaning full recovery would generally take 1 1/2 days. It would also mean that the early stages of recovery would be going quite a bit faster, so even just leaving the hex alone for 6 hours would likely mean recovering 12% or more of that resource, at which point an occasional gathering pull wouldn't be quite such a big deal.

Of course, this would greatly diminish the ability to use strip-mining as a form of economic attack, but currently that tactic can be extremely effective for very little effort. This change would still make it reasonably effective (even discounting the resources being gathered), but would require regular effort to maintain the strip-mined state.

Thoughts?
Flari-Merchant
You know that my vote will always be for craft materials being harder to find, AKA scarce. I don't see any other way to get the economy stimulated. If you haven't noticed, one of my characters is doing well selling coal for 50c/ea. I can't dig fast enough….
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
You know that my vote will always be for craft materials being harder to find, AKA scarce. I don't see any other way to get the economy stimulated. If you haven't noticed, one of my characters is doing well selling coal for 50c/ea. I can't dig fast enough….

That is certainly always a risk when fiddling with the regeneration rates. On the other hand, this wouldn't change how fast you can gather, just how worried everyone has to be about over-gathering. Things will still be pretty scarce unless more people start doing a lot more gathering/harvesting. An exception would be for any resources that are currently constantly being strip-mined. For anything that's currently being gathered sustainably, this change would probably have a minimal effect.
Flari-Merchant
Over all, I think that slightly faster regen will help with problems caused by Gushers. I do have a concern that it will also encourage player that do strip hexes to keep them stripped even more so. Instead of getting a very few pieces when they come back to re-strip, they will get a handful more.

Honestly though, I don't think that issue should be factored into the mix. Stripping hexes and getting away with it is a population shortage issue. It is also a valid game activity no matter how frustrating.
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
I've updated the original post to reflect that harvesting will now produce resources for 200 cycles, each cycle lasting about 3-15 seconds depending on tier/upgrade of the Harvesting Kit and tier of the resource being harvested.
Nihimon
Bob
… I'm looking at doubling the number of resource cycles and halving the time between resource cycles for harvesting…

That feels much better.

Bob
I've been considering a change for a while now to resource regeneration that would make strip-mining a lot less punishing…

I'd like to try changing that chance [to regenerate 1% of the maximum rating] to 50% plus half of the resource's current percentage, so the chance of regenerating would go from 50% to 100% as the resource recovers.

Thoughts?

Would the minimum chance to regenerate remain at 50% even if the current rating was less than zero?

If so, I think this is a good change that would also address some other issues related to strip-mining.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Bob
Nihimon
Would the minimum chance to regenerate remain at 50% even if the current rating was less than zero?

Interestingly, when the rating is below zero, there's actually a 100% chance coded in already. The design always called for getting out of negative numbers pretty quickly, it just wouldn't actually happen much until now.
You are a Troll
Proposed changes feel much more GUSHER like - we approve! smile
Flari-Merchant
You are a Troll
Proposed changes feel much more GUSHER like - we approve! smile
+1
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post