Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Harvesting (aka Gushers)

Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite of Staalgard
It is totally about supply and demand. I agree. No one else is willing to dig up coal and sell it. It is also most surely a temporary spike because… c'mon… not everyone can be that averse to gathering, can they?

Honestly if laziness is the illness that promotes the demand and that is all I can get to simulate scarcity, fine. smile

Yes, they can. I understand some people enjoy gathering in game, but I find it incredibly, mind-numbingly, boring and can only do it in small doses. Any gathering I do is for the benefit of OV and its allies in the Dominion. No amount of coin will change how much (or little as it were) I do, or whom it benefits.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Giorgio
A Cole sighting! How rare and welcomed! smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Bob
Cole Brown
Bringslite of Staalgard
@ Bob

You made it clear that only that gusher placer and his "party" can take from the chest without penalty. Can a player set a gusher to working and log out if there are others there to protect it, meaning will it still operate if the placer logs?

It keeps gushing when you leave, yes.

Also, there's no penalty in a low security hex, so other than the slow pulls because the owner isn't around to have a party, logging out doesn't make as much difference in such places, particularly if the resources being harvested are very light weight.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Cole Brown
Bringslite of Staalgard
@ Bob

You made it clear that only that gusher placer and his "party" can take from the chest without penalty. Can a player set a gusher to working and log out if there are others there to protect it, meaning will it still operate if the placer logs?

It keeps gushing when you leave, yes.

Also, there's no penalty in a low security hex, so other than the slow pulls because the owner isn't around to have a party, logging out doesn't make as much difference in such places, particularly if the resources being harvested are very light weight.
First, Thanks for answering, Cole. smile
Second, does the owner need be near the gusher for his stats to affect everything they can?
Cole Brown
Bringslite of Staalgard
Second, does the owner need be near the gusher for his stats to affect everything they can?

There's a skill check each gush for how many you get, similar to the check for how much you harvest from harvest nodes. That might default to the min skill of 10 if the owner's logged off/out of hex. So you'll be less likely to get more than 1 per gush.
Bob
Cole Brown
Bringslite of Staalgard

There's a skill check each gush for how many you get, similar to the check for how much you harvest from harvest nodes. That might default to the min skill of 10 if the owner's logged off/out of hex. So you'll be less likely to get more than 1 per gush.

To be specific, it looks like the owner of the Harvesting Site needs to be logged in and either in the hex or close enough to it that the hex is still keeping track of that character. If not, the amount harvested per cycle could drop substantially, though you'll still harvest quite a bit if the Harvesting Site remains operational for its full lifetime.
HowardWdW
This goes along with my remarks in the ammo thread about gathering when the game has many players (and my fear there will not be enough gathering).

Having now worked many gushers of all Tiers and having discussed this with other players in our group, the major conclusion is: Gushers are boring. The increase in gathering speed and ability to go search a particular resource is very nice, but they take way too much time to gather. T1 around 45 minutes. T2 and T3 well over an hour.

Second and even more serious complaint. The theory was (as I understood it) that now having a gatherer higher than level 14 should significantly impact the gathering output of gushers in both time (decrease) and quantity (increase). There appears to be something broken with this. I have spent close to 500k xp each to raise 2 of my miners to level 17 and the impact of time and resource amount gathered is not measurable. Whether it is a +0 or a +3 kit, and level 14 or 17 miner the time appears the same and the resource output the same (about 400 per gusher).

If the math is 1 to 5 per pull times 200 pulls the output should in theory be between 200 and 1000. I would expect to see considerable scaling between a level 14 and a level 17 gatherer. If the average for a level 14 is 400 per gusher and the level has a big impact of output (which it should in order to want to make people raise their gathering level higher), then linear progression should have average output for a level 17 at least around the 600 level and level 20 around 800. Maybe you only get to 1000 with a +5 kit (yes I think the kit plus should have an impact also)
Bob
Gathering skill affects the amount harvested in much the same way that it affects the amount of resources gathered per node. So, if your level 17 gatherer typically gets 10% more resources from the same number of nodes as your level 14 gatherer, then that character should also typically get 10% more resources from a complete harvesting process. As usual, it's random, so that won't always happen, but it should average out to that over time.

It's also important to note that the calculations are based on gathering skill instead of level. Depending on your other feats and gear, the difference between your level 14 gatherer and your level 17 gatherer can be more or less dramatic. Technically, it's even possible for your level 14 gather to have a higher skill than your level 17 gatherer.

I've tested the system out with more dramatically different skill levels and it certainly looked like the amount harvested went up as skill levels went up. If others are noticing similar issues, then I can try running more tests to see if there's a problem hiding there somewhere.

As for the degree of fun in harvesting, most of that is supposed to come from the fighting, and admittedly that could use some more work. We've got some improvements already made for EE 14, and we'll keep adding to it as we can.
HowardWdW
So to be clear Bob. Is it the gathering skill AT THE TIME THE GUSHER KIT IS PLACED or during the harvest cycle? This comes back to my complaint about armor types not matching up well with having multiple skills. So while there is a FEATURE for all 4 gathering skills (Invested with Secrets) there is no Armor skill that covers all 4 gathering skills.

A 10% increase in amount gathered between level 14 and level 17 makes it questionable as to whether it's worth investing in higher gathering skill. I would suggest another look at that math to tilt the numbers more.

Any way you can give us the actual math?
Decius
Linear improvement for superlinear cost is exactly how gathering skill should go. The +10 skill from going from 19 to 20 is the most expensive, but offers the same absolute benefit as any other +10. That is a design choice to cause there to be a real choice involved in leveling up gathering skills: at what point do you stop getting better at gathering and start doing something else with the XP?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post