Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Harvesting (aka Gushers)

Bob
HowardWdW
Bob, when looking at the XP cost to go from 14 to 17 I think you just looked at the cost for raising that skill rank. However in order to raise that rank you need ability score increases beyond that gained from the rank itself. To get to level 17 miner I had to train Tanner, Smelter and Sawyer each to rank 10 also, plus some armor feats.

Fair point. In theory, those feats are valuable in their own right, so it's not always clear how much to think of that XP as being spent on going from 14 to 17. However, for a character only learning them to get their ability scores up, that does figure into the cost. Of course, that's also part of the argument for taking advantage of broader skills over specialization, but it's certainly possible that hand is overplayed in this case.
Giorgio
Data Point for Bob:

Coal Gusher
Date: 11/04/17
Time: 452pm-535pm EST
Miner Rank 17; Skill 224
Coal Gathered: 475 units
Kit: Expert Harvesting Kit +0
Party: 2 Players
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Bob
Giorgio
Data Point for Bob:

Coal Gusher
Date: 11/04/17
Time: 452pm-535pm EST
Miner Rank 17; Skill 224
Coal Gathered: 475 units
Kit: Expert Harvesting Kit +0
Party: 2 Players

Sounds about right. The "expected" amount at that skill would be about 460, but getting a little lucky and winding up at 475 would happen pretty regularly, as would getting unlucky and winding up around 445.
Kenton Stone
Bob, is there a way to get the flag and box off the tab list when the mobs spawn? Always having to tab through them to select a target is annoying.
Bob
Kenton Stone
Bob, is there a way to get the flag and box off the tab list when the mobs spawn? Always having to tab through them to select a target is annoying.

We managed to get nodes and mules off the tab list way back and I think I know how to do the same for those. Should be pretty easy, so I'll try to do it soon.
Bob
Bob
Kenton Stone

We managed to get nodes and mules off the tab list way back and I think I know how to do the same for those. Should be pretty easy, so I'll try to do it soon.

On further reflection, the solution I was going to do removes those from the tab list completely, and more thought (and possibly more code) needs to go into this first. In general, our current answer to this issue is that we let you tab-target pretty much every entity in the game when you're out of combat, and then we restrict tabbing to just combat entities while you're in combat. The exception to that are guards (they're combat entities and really dangerous to accidentally target in combat), mules (again combat entities, but more just a bummer to accidentally target in combat) and nodes (I suspect we removed these because there were just so many of them, often in the distance, and it was annoying to select them even out of combat).

The advantage to this system is that you can use tab-targeting to find interactive objects, but they don't get in the way during combat. However, guards and mules probably should be tab-targetable during combat if they're considered enemies, and the system can't currently handle that. It's also kind of unfortunate that you can't use tab to quickly identify nodes from a distance, since we let you do that with so many other things.

I've filed a bug report to reconsider this system when we have a chance.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post