Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Invaders

Bob
Along with giving players the ability to raid Holdings, EE 13 also gives creatures the ability to invade hexes and raid Holdings for bulk goods.

During Daily Maintenance, any hex that is eligible to be raided the coming day will decide whether or not there will be an invasion during the PvP window and, if so, what list of creatures will be spawned in. If the hex is currently infected (very unlikely until we turn infection back on in some form), then there will definitely be an invasion that day, using the creatures from the current phase of the current escalation as of Daily Maintenance. If the hex is currently uninfected but has an infected neighbor, then there's a 90% chance the hex will be invaded by creatures from the neighbor's current escalation phase. Finally, if the hex is currently uninfected and doesn't have an infected neighbor, then there's a 30% chance the Holding will be attacked by creature's from the hex's default spawn list. Even if the hex or its neighbors are cleared/downgraded before the PvP Window, or if a new escalation infects one of those hexes, the invasion will use the creatures decided on during Daily Maintenance.

Once the PvP Window opens, 10 increasingly large/tough waves of invading creatures will attack the Holding, with a 90 second break between waves (very similar to the waves that attack Harvesting Sites, just with a limit). As with Raiding or Capturing, attacks on guards will show up on the Ownership map so owners can see what's under attack. If a sufficient number of guards is killed off, then the invaders will begin racking up Invading Points when near the Holding (just like Capture or Raiding Points). If they get enough points, then the creatures will steal that day's bulk resource production, but none of the stored bulk resources.

Raids and Invasions can be going on at the same time, in which case it's a race to see who racks up the needed points first. Repelling an Invasion does not protect the Holding from any later Raids, which will be easier to pull off if all or most of the guards have already been killed off.
Flari-Merchant
Good Gawd. I think that will keep us all busy. Thankfully only 3 days per week.

Need to plan well and take out the more tough Home Hexes on just the right day.
Stilachio Thrax
Bob, I like the concept of this, but the implementation is all stick and no carrot. This should feel fun, and instead it seems like another chore.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Harbalin
Is a hex considered "infected" only when an escalation is present (for example, is a monster home hex always "infected" or only when an escalation is present)?

Does an "eligible hex" exclude "Protected Hexes"? There was previous mention of "Protected Hexes" having "some chance" of being subject to an NPC raid.

Is there a radius of effect greater than "1" for an NPC raid?
Flari-Merchant
Hmmm… I also do like the concept but feel that it is very much too heavily constructed. For example, the Dominion is one of the groups with a pretty large land mass of holdings under our sway. Not the largest but definitely up there. True, this mechanic is only for 3 days a week, which should be set for our most active days just because of the "raiding" mechanic" yet I am pretty sure that even with perfect escalation control, our group will find it impossible to protect more than a few hexes each night. That leads to a likelihood of losing a great deal of Bulk production each week.

If the goal of this is to reduce Bulk resource stockpiles even faster than currently, and to mold the system into a much more tough game at the settlement management level, I think it will work swiftly and decisively.

That is "ok" for what it is worth. I can't help feeling that it is a pretty rough "stick"(as Stilachio wrote) as described at this stage of very low population though. My concern is that it will become very tedious and very "unfun" very fast at these planned occurrence levels.
Flari-Merchant
Bringslite of Staalgard
Hmmm… I also do like the concept but feel that it is very much too heavily constructed. For example, the Dominion is one of the groups with a pretty large land mass of holdings under our sway. Not the largest but definitely up there. True, this mechanic is only for 3 days a week, which should be set for our most active days just because of the "raiding" mechanic" yet I am pretty sure that even with perfect escalation control, our group will find it impossible to protect more than a few hexes each night. That leads to a likelihood of losing a great deal of Bulk production each week.

If the goal of this is to reduce Bulk resource stockpiles even faster than currently, and to mold the system into a much more tough game at the settlement management level, I think it will work swiftly and decisively.

That is "ok" for what it is worth. I can't help feeling that it is a pretty rough "stick"(as Stilachio wrote) as described at this stage of very low population though. My concern is that it will become very tedious and very "unfun" very fast at these planned occurrence levels.

Edit: Just like the gusher mechanic, we can only speculate and in the end see what and how players use and react to the situation and the potentials. Certainly we did not ask for details only so we could negatively criticize all of them. smile
Bob
Harbalin
Is a hex considered "infected" only when an escalation is present (for example, is a monster home hex always "infected" or only when an escalation is present)?

Correct, only active escalations count as an infection. Just being a home hex isn't enough

Harbalin
Does an "eligible hex" exclude "Protected Hexes"? There was previous mention of "Protected Hexes" having "some chance" of being subject to an NPC raid.

For now, we're only counting hexes as eligible if they're running their PvP windows, so protected hexes are excluded. I still like the idea of giving invaders a chance of hitting protected hexes, much as placing a Siege Engine in a neighboring hex can do, but want to see how this version plays out before adding more invasion opportunities.

Harbalin
Is there a radius of effect greater than "1" for an NPC raid?

The radius is currently just 1, with the 30% chance of being invaded by the default creatures meant to give at least some chance of invasions in hexes further away from monster hexes until we can take another look at letting escalations spread.
Bob
Stilachio Thrax
Bob, I like the concept of this, but the implementation is all stick and no carrot. This should feel fun, and instead it seems like another chore.

A fair point, but part of the idea here is that your reward for doing things like setting up properly protected hexes, and for clearing out nearby escalations, is a dramatically reduced chance of getting invaded by tough monsters. We don't want these to be rewarding enough that people feel like they really need to leave themselves open to these attacks in order to reap the rewards.

That said, we've tried to set them up in such a way that you can't really prevent them from happening at least occasionally, so we could probably get away with some kind of small reward for fending off an invasion without unbalancing things. We'll give it some thought.
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard

This isn't intended so much to reduce the stockpiles as to make the taking of additional territory a more meaningful choice. If your settlement can provide enough players to regularly defend against invaders in multiple hexes (either your own or mercenaries), then spreading out is a great choice. If not, then you're probably better off controlling less hexes but with upgraded Holdings and Outposts. It's less efficient in some ways, but the upgraded guards may even be able to fend off some of the invasions on their own.

It's also not meant to be too rough of a stick. At worst, you'd lose 3 days of production per week in just your unprotected hexes. In cases where expanding to a neighboring hex would provide protection to one or more already-controlled hexes, then doing so would still be pretty advantageous. Even if you can't regularly defend the new hex from invaders, as long as it can remain active it's still protecting your other hexes and letting them enjoy full production every day.
Nihimon
Obligatory Maiden reference.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post