Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Invaders

Flari-Merchant
Well I am pretty much resigned(now) to see how it goes. I realize that you can only test whether it works mechanically before you add it to "live". There isn't really a way to test whether it is extremely annoying once in "live", before then. Hopefully you will keep an eye on player feedback once we have tried it out for a few weeks.

Edit to Add: These types of things, including resource costs to run settlements and holdings, do not have any "give" in them for the number of players actually playing the game. Meaning no matter how many or how few bodies are around to "do things" and "react to things" the costs and requirements remain the same.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
Well I am pretty much resigned(now) to see how it goes. I realize that you can only test whether it works mechanically before you add it to "live". There isn't really a way to test whether it is extremely annoying once in "live", before then. Hopefully you will keep an eye on player feedback once we have tried it out for a few weeks.

Edit to Add: These types of things, including resource costs to run settlements and holdings, do not have any "give" in them for the number of players actually playing the game. Meaning no matter how many or how few bodies are around to "do things" and "react to things" the costs and requirements remain the same.

We'll keep an eye on things, and there are several methods we can use to scale things up or down that just involve spreadsheet changes. Currently, the idea is to set things so that it doesn't take very many players in a settlement/alliance to cover things. In particular, even the lowest-level guards can often hold off a very low-level invasion, such as typical goblins or bandits, for a very long time. Depending on exactly what gets spawned, they may even hold it off completely on their own. Upgrade your holdings a bit and you'll really only have to worry when the tougher escalations land near you.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

Any idea how area effect spells and attacks are going to interact with guards when we are fighting Invaders? The active player base is so small that it is kind of rare to see 3 players from the same company in one group. Many players also run multiple companies and it is kind of hard to fight two battles at the same time.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
Any idea how area effect spells and attacks are going to interact with guards when we are fighting Invaders? The active player base is so small that it is kind of rare to see 3 players from the same company in one group. Many players also run multiple companies and it is kind of hard to fight two battles at the same time.

Guards are apparently very touchy about being damaged, and since they're not members of your party, they're not immune to your AoE damage, or even to direct attacks. If damaged by your AoE or direct attacks, they'll add you to their hate list and strike back, regardless of which company you're a member of. Fortunately, they seem to forget about you pretty quickly when they leash back, so you can probably just run away briefly and be fine again when you come back.

Still, probably best to avoid provoking them until we have a chance to give them a more complex AI.
Bob
After testing out the Invasions and going through our change logs to write up the release notes, apparently I was misremembering how we handle protected hexes. In fact, the invaders ignore hex protection, and if an escalation decides to invade, then they override the protection for that day. In light of that, I'm going to lower the likelihood of being invaded by a neighbor from 90% to 15% (so an Escalation is likely to invade 1-2 hexes each day), and the chances of being invaded by default creatures from 30% to 3% (these don't override protection, but you still don't want a lot of internal invasions to deal with). This only overrides protection given by neighboring allies, so your hexes still aren't vulnerable to Invasions outside your 3-day PvP windows. Also, if your hex becomes unprotected on a given day, it's still unlikely to become unprotected the next day, so this really just opens you up to an occasional Raid, not so much to the possibility of losing the hex.

Update: Edited to clarify that only Escalations override protection, not Invasions by default creatures.
Bob
On a related note, Invasions get scheduled whether or not there are vulnerable Outposts in the targeted hex, but the Invasion won't actually run unless there are vulnerable Outposts in the hex during the active PvP window, and thus when the Holding is eligible for a Raid. This means it's possible for a scheduled Invasion to override a hex's protection, resulting in a Holding vulnerable to capture if there aren't any Outposts to protect it. However, there'd be no actual Invasion, since we don't currently allow the invaders to capture the Holding.
Flari-Merchant
Wait. Are you saying that if NPCs decide to invade a hex that happens to be ally protected, that will open that hex to player raids for that day?
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
Wait. Are you saying that if NPCs decide to invade a hex that happens to be ally protected, that will open that hex to player raids for that day?

Yes, though only if the attack is coming from an escalation, not from the default creatures. For now, that means that only hexes that neighbor a monster hex run any risk of this. Once spreading is back on in some form, more hexes could potentially be opened up this way whenever an escalation is able to spread, and any infected hex would be unprotected until the infection is removed, but that's a ways off.

The basic idea, now that I'm reminded of it, was to make the borders just a bit more fluid, but not much. It was intended to be similar to the ability to break through protected hexes by placing siege equipment in a neighboring hex. By dropping the chance of this happening down to 15%, it's not likely to affect too many hexes per alliance on any given day, particularly if escalations are being dealt with in a timely manner. It's also very unlikely to affect the same hex two days in a row. But it does mean you'll want to consider Holding upgrades on any hex neighboring a monster hex, just in case a tough escalation moves in.
Bob
Oh, and technically it also opens the Outposts to being captured, though again, there's no guarantee the hex will be open the next day, so that could be a lot of effort for little or no return.
Flari-Merchant
What does that do to the old 3 day feud set up?
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post