Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 14

Flari-Merchant
Seems like the main issue is that at higher levels there is a disproportionate amount of mobs that deliver higher energy damage output as well as physical damage. Unfortunately some roles have built in feats that help mitigate both more easily than others.

For the fighter, I think really it is just about exploring more ways to beef up energy resist. Bob has written that cloth and lighter armors will be a bit ER nerfed when enchantment comes into play. Lots of things are changing as we go along here. Personally I don't play a Wizard so I won't opine on whether DC needs tempering.

I wouldn't mind seeing some better expendables for Fighters and maybe some ways they can mitigate E damage through role feats. Rather than nerf Wizards, maybe build more equal physical vs energy damage into high end mobs. The Fighter seems slow and clunky in melee, all around, so look into doing something about that rather than nerf the things that other roles are jealous of in their nemesis counter roles.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
You are a Troll
It's not about nerfing wizards - it is about addressing one horribly broken combo that people figured out that the devs likely never intended, or at least didn't realize how unbalanced it was in actual game-play.
Flari-Merchant
meh… I guess I haven't died to it enough in PVP to take much notice of it….. yet. smile

I see fighters using whirlwind then fire whirl then whirlwind then fire whirl then whirlwind then fire whirl….

I see rogue short bow putting an inch of stacks on critters before I can even engage one myself…

I see clerics that seem as though they can't die, ever…..

The only time those things should really annoy me, IMO, is PVP.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
For Chill Touch and Devourer's Caress, both are getting cut back a bit as a result of the rebalance around ammunition. Melee-ranged attacks that use ammunition turned out to be particularly overpowered relative to similar ranged attacks, so they get even more of a shave. That said, when using high-quality ammunition, it will likely be possible to bring those attacks back up to similar levels of effectiveness overall, but that will be pretty expensive.

As a more direct attempt to bring this particular combo into line, I've given Devourer's Caress a 4 second cooldown. That's just one of many levers I can pull when balancing a particular feat, and it's an appropriate one to use when the issue is largely that an attack is spammable. I'm hoping that lets the combo be used often enough that there are still occasions where a necromantic player can come in and act like a tank by stealing health from the mobs, but makes it a little less common and requires mixing up attacks a little bit more. If it doesn't do the trick, or if the cure is worse than the disease, then I'll try using some other mechanics to balance it out in the short run. Eventually, we'll switch the health aspect over to a different effect that more directly transfers health from the mob to the player, at which point we'll keep this balance issue in mind as we implement the effect and do it in a more balanced way.
Decius
Bob
For Chill Touch and Devourer's Caress, both are getting cut back a bit as a result of the rebalance around ammunition. Melee-ranged attacks that use ammunition turned out to be particularly overpowered relative to similar ranged attacks, so they get even more of a shave. That said, when using high-quality ammunition, it will likely be possible to bring those attacks back up to similar levels of effectiveness overall, but that will be pretty expensive.

As a more direct attempt to bring this particular combo into line, I've given Devourer's Caress a 4 second cooldown. That's just one of many levers I can pull when balancing a particular feat, and it's an appropriate one to use when the issue is largely that an attack is spammable. I'm hoping that lets the combo be used often enough that there are still occasions where a necromantic player can come in and act like a tank by stealing health from the mobs, but makes it a little less common and requires mixing up attacks a little bit more. If it doesn't do the trick, or if the cure is worse than the disease, then I'll try using some other mechanics to balance it out in the short run. Eventually, we'll switch the health aspect over to a different effect that more directly transfers health from the mob to the player, at which point we'll keep this balance issue in mind as we implement the effect and do it in a more balanced way.

Depending on what increases as a result of the 4 second cooldown, that might put it over into 'unusable' territory. Which is part of balancing.

Adjusting the cost of "cure", especially after the global buff to beneficial effects, might be a better way.
Bob
Decius
Depending on what increases as a result of the 4 second cooldown, that might put it over into 'unusable' territory. Which is part of balancing.

Adjusting the cost of "cure", especially after the global buff to beneficial effects, might be a better way.

Interestingly, if I were to increase the cost for cure dramatically, that wouldn't actually change the balance all by itself. What it would do is flag all the feats that include cure as overpowered, then I'd go in and fiddle with those feats until they're theoretically back in balance. I could lower the amount of cure in those feats, or raise their cooldowns, or make them take more time to use, or lower their other effects, or basically change any factor that lowers the overall value of the feat until it's back in line. As long as I was already having to rebalance all those feats a tiny bit, I did actually make cure just a tiny bit more expensive, but not by much since I don't have a ton of evidence that cure is overpowered across the board.

Since Devourer's Caress was getting cut back a bit as part of this rebalance, I did invest part of that cut in lowering its percentage of cure. I could potentially leave out the cooldown (or make it smaller) and lower the cure even more, but the main result of that would just be to slightly reduce the difficulty of mobs against which the strategy of spamming that combo is so effective. Cooldowns are a blunt tool to prevent spamming, but an effective one, and the length can certainly be adjusted a bit to make the combo still useful, but still something that is best with some other attacks mixed in. Ideally it will give wizards an effective combo to use when enemies get within melee distance, but not so powerful that wizards are using it to rush into melee range in just about every situation.
Flari-Merchant
I am not a Wizard and don't use those feats in any way, but I would remind everyone that just a few voices got ranged attacks nerfed fairly well for a very long time. I just hope that a few people don't harangue Developers again into over nerfing that combo causing the same dissatisfaction result as last time.

Combat is supposed to be partly about using combos to end with favorable results for the player.
uotopia@msn.com
Flari-Merchant
Also I would point out that if things get "adjusted" too much there will be little or less feasibility to solo some content at a time when there are VERY FEW players. That would probably be bad right now, M'kay?

Does the "combo defendant", at this current witch hunt, have much impact on PVP combat? If that is a NO then why mess with it right now? Who really cares if it allows loners or groups to get through some mobs more efficiently, right now?

Satisfaction and playability seem more important. Take time and study anything in-game before you adjust it downward. Especially don't hamper a sector of the player pop until it really is a problem like in a busy game. Put it in later if it really needs fixing.
uotopia@msn.com
You are a Troll
Bob
Ideally it will give wizards an effective combo to use when enemies get within melee distance, but not so powerful that wizards are using it to rush into melee range in just about every situation.

There you go Bringslite - made it easier to read for you since you seemed to be missing the main point here.
Flari-Merchant
You are a Troll
Bob
Ideally it will give wizards an effective combo to use when enemies get within melee distance, but not so powerful that wizards are using it to rush into melee range in just about every situation.

There you go Bringslite - made it easier to read for you since you seemed to be missing the main point here.
Here is a problem: There are only a few voices speaking up. It is dangerous to make changes in that circumstance. The only thing that I really am concerned about is Wizards leaving the game the way that many Archer characters did when range was "adjusted".
If it is an attack that is spammed, ammo cost just might put it somewhat in check.
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post