Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Ammunition

Bob
With EE 14, attacks meant to use ammunition will begin requiring its use. There will also be some corresponding balance changes to those attacks to pull back on changes that were made to them so that they'd feel more balanced when they could be done without using up expensive ammunition. Ammunition will be required for all bow attacks, all orisions other than Basic Focus Attack/Exploit, and all cantrips other than Basic Wand/Staff Attack/Exploit and the Mastery cantrips.

When you have a weapon in your main hand that can use ammunition, you won't be able to use any attacks that require ammunition on it until you equip an appropriate ammo container (quiver, charge gem) in your off-hand. The tier of the ammo container cannot be higher than the tier of the weapon, and the ammo container can't store ammunition from a higher tier than the container itself. The ammo container will have a small number of slots for different variants of ammunition (2-5), a small amount of ammunition that it can have loaded at once that's ready for firing (10-20), and a larger total amount of ammunition that can be stored in the container (100-500), with the amounts for any or all of those being higher for better ammo containers.

Before combat, ammunition must be stored in the ammo container's ammo slots, which will be loaded from top to bottom. Whenever the loaded ammunition runs out, ammunition will be reloaded from the top ammo slot. If reloading empties the top ammo slot, then the ammo slots below it will all move up one place, so that the next reload will come from the next top-most slot. Reloading will take 1-2 seconds and will prevent any attacks during that time.

Ammunition will increase the base damage for each attack, with higher tiers and upgrades increasing that damage bonus. In general, the idea is to balance things such that using ammunition at roughly the same quality level as the weapon/attack will provide damage similar to a melee attack at that level, while using lesser ammunition will do less damage (possibly down to the amount of damage currently done without ammo). Using better ammunition will allow such attacks to do even more damage than comparable melee attacks, but at a correspondingly higher expense. Also, since ammunition from a higher tier than the weapon can't be used, there's a limit to how much improvement can be gained from simply using higher pluses.

Upon exiting combat, any ammunition in inventory that matches the variant in an ammo slot will automatically be moved there, in priority order and up to the maximum amount of ammunition the container can hold. Creatures will drop small amounts of low-quality ammunition as loot, so this should provide a small amount of backup ammunition much of the time.

On death, ammo containers will lose 1 point of Durability, just like other equipped items, and 5% of the ammunition stored in them will be destroyed.
Flari-Merchant
This doesn't look too bad. smile
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
You are a Troll
I am willing to give it a go….however, ammo doesn't add to the *fun*. It didn't add to the fun of Baldur's Gate, nor Mass Effect, etc and it won't add to the Fun in PFO. Sure, it adds realism, but it's annoying and anti-fun. I am fine with the ammo containers being another needed piece of gear, but the individual arrows and charges are going to be a royal PIA.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

Is it safe yet to expect that every type of ammo recipe and materials are going to be in the mix? Can we confidently start to craft them?
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Bringslite-Dominion Soldier
Is it safe yet to expect that every type of ammo recipe and materials are going to be in the mix? Can we confidently start to craft them?

Yes, all the gems/arrows that you can make will work as ammunition, and all the quivers/charge gems will work as ammo containers. We probably won't get in all the keyword aspects that are supposed to be attached to various kinds of ammunition, but I'll do my best to reflect the values of different ammunition variants in their basic damage numbers until we do. That said, you may not want to craft much specialty ammo unless you just happen to be able to get the materials for them more cheaply than you can for more standard ammunition.
Flari-Merchant
Bob

Yes, all the gems/arrows that you can make will work as ammunition, and all the quivers/charge gems will work as ammo containers. We probably won't get in all the keyword aspects that are supposed to be attached to various kinds of ammunition, but I'll do my best to reflect the values of different ammunition variants in their basic damage numbers until we do. That said, you may not want to craft much specialty ammo unless you just happen to be able to get the materials for them more cheaply than you can for more standard ammunition.
Thanks Bob! smile
uotopia@msn.com
Duffy Swiftshadow
Cold iron arrows as far as the eye can see!!

Also prepare for the dominance of range attacks.
Flari-Merchant
Duffy Swiftshadow
Cold iron arrows as far as the eye can see!!

Also prepare for the dominance of range attacks.
I will be interested to see how it is going to get balanced. Skilled ranged attack should be impactful but so also should LoS (including cover), melee proximity to range armed players(easy interrupt) and the logistics of encumbrance of things like arrows.

I realize that it is a fantasy game and am excited that ranged attack will become interesting as an option again but I(for one) do not seek for it to be Too OP. Just about any more swift melee attack should interrupt an archer that you are toe-to-toe with. Cover and LoS needs to matter. Arrows should be somewhat heavy and bulky enough to cause some trouble trying to carry around 100s and be effective with them. Some of that should be factored into cantrips and orisons if possible.
uotopia@msn.com
Smeltbane
It will be amusing to see how all those legend hunter types do against things like superior artillery when the NPCs get the ranged damage bump.
You are a Troll
Arrows should be somewhat heavy and bulky enough to cause some trouble trying to carry around 100s and be effective with them.

That sounds super duper annoying and anti-fun.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post