Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Ammunition

Bob
You are a Troll
For each combat toon that isn't melee you will need:

1-2 gatherers
1/2 - 1 crafter
and 1 gold to buy the ammo they will make?

Not sure that is really viable.

I think that overestimates the amount of ammo required by a typical character who is taking reasonable steps to regulate ammo usage, though is perhaps a fairly reasonable estimate for a hardcore player using ammo. I also think it overestimates the amount of dedicated effort required to create that ammo. Bowyers can produce quite a bit of T2 +0 ammo and far more T1 +X armor, and have the advantage of being able to craft 24/7 without being logged in that entire time. The refined materials required take very little time to produce, and gatherers need to get at least some time credit for the other valuable materials they gather along the way.

Still, I'll take a closer look at the numbers from this perspective and see if they point to any needed corrections. I'll also take a closer look at the assumptions around "what it's going to cost to still be as good as you were before ammo was required."
Flari-Merchant
Bob
I certainly understand why respecs would be tempting, particularly when the game is still in development and so much can change. The tricky part is that some of our design decisions, particularly the way we handle achievements, were made with the assumption that no respecs would be allowed. A lot of thinking would need to go into working around any such change, along with a fair amount of implementation work.

Not saying it's impossible, just that it's a bigger issue than it might seem at first.
What would be the issue if achievements were scrubbed along with feats? Anyone willing/wanting to respect could choose whether it was worth the effort or not.
Edam
I have subbed several accounts for 3 years on the basis that it is an open ended sandbox where your accounts develop organically evolving as things change.

The one thing that would see me sell my accounts and quit immediately is respecs as I personally see respecs as abandoning the basic core tenant of the game to pander to power builders and instant gratification types. Once a game allows that, even once, they lose all trust as far as I am concerned. I quit EVE after more than 5 years when they allowed XP farming and selling XP for similar reasons.

I am well aware that losing a few veteran players is not a big issue if they can get bulk new subs to replace the outgoing and it may be the sensible thing so this is not a "threat" just saying how it is smile
You are a Troll
I agree with Edam. As onerous and un-fun as some of the coming changes might be, a respec would be a horrible idea.

I know this was stated before but can't remember what was said: With the new line of sight rules, if you fire and the attack is invalid because of cover, do you loose your piece of ammo? What about when you attack but the target dies before the attack finishes?
Stilachio Thrax
I agree with Edam too. Respecs are tempting, and there are plenty of XP expenditures I'd like back. But that is not what the game was developed as or sold as. Adapt and adjust is how you move forward.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Maxen
As much as I loved respec’ing my heroes in CoH, I have to agree that it’s not a good idea.
Bob
Bringslite-Dominion Soldier
What would be the issue if achievements were scrubbed along with feats? Anyone willing/wanting to respect could choose whether it was worth the effort or not.

It would get tricky if we tried to allow partial respecs, since it would be more fair just to scrub related achievements, but the relationships aren't always clear. However, if we only allowed complete respecs, and that came with a complete achievement wipe, that would take care of this particular concern.
Bob
We've also always recognized that respecing is a contentious issue. Given the challenges of doing it in a balanced way that would feel fair to all sides, it's not something we'd be likely to look into at this point. For now, we'd prefer to make sure that reasonable choices made along the way don't become terrible choices as the game goes through changes. On the other hand, if certain feats were largely chosen because they were effectively overpowered at the time, whether due to simple bugs, unbalanced mechanics, or incomplete features, then we're fine with rebalancing those feats back to simply being reasonable choices.
Bob
You are a Troll
I know this was stated before but can't remember what was said: With the new line of sight rules, if you fire and the attack is invalid because of cover, do you loose your piece of ammo? What about when you attack but the target dies before the attack finishes?

If you have line of sight at the beginning of the attack, we let the attack go through even if you lose line of sight before actually doing damage. Providing the ability to effectively "interrupt" attacks by bouncing in and out of sight didn't feel very compatible with our overall combat system.

If your target dies, your attack should be interrupted, just as it is now. As a result, you will neither use ammunition nor do damage to the target.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

Were you able to do something about firing on <invulnerable> targets that get stuck when they can't finish their proper moves to get set to attack, like often happens in gusher fighting?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post