Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Ammunition

Flari-Merchant
Keep in mind that you have not totally freed ranged actions from their previous hinderences and restored complete mobility here. They are "slowed 50%" for 2 secs after firing a ranged attack. Two seconds is a long time in any situation but especially a PVP situation.

You have allowed increased damage (in most situations) at the cost of having to deal with ammo but you haven't set mobility of said characters to highly flexible tactically, by any means…

I am not suggesting that you do so but it is apparent that all frustrations are not removed even if they are changed up a bit.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
HowardWdW
I feel the part of this that is being over valued is the new ability for a ranged character to move at a slowed rate and shoot. In PvE the mobs pretty quickly catch up to any ranged character and start beating on him in melee. A ranged character is continually showing opportunity and I assume mobs have attacks that can take advantage of that. PvP people will certainly be able to catch a ranged character and take advantage of that.

It is still exceptionally difficult to pull a mob off the character they are attacking (PvE) so the ability to "tank" mobs while ranged characters plink away without being attacked is minimal. So the idea that a ranged character will have less durability loss in gear and therefore can afford to pay for ammo doesn't seem realistic to me.

In the real world of history a trained archer could shoot 1 arrow every 6 seconds and punch through plate armor at a distance before that poor slow moving slob ever got near the archer. Such is not the case here as we all move at the same speed.

I think Bob's last proposed adjustment seems better. If ammo is expensive and difficult to obtain in quantity then having it increase damage over melee seems fair. Frankly if I were building a ranged toon today from scratch I would choose at the same time to have them pick a crafting skill that made the ammo they will use so I could supply my own at least from the crafted standpoint. That would in turn make dedicated refiners more valuable in the economy as they could sell refined mats to those characters. Currently there is little economy on refined mats, mostly because most players have suites of refiner/crafters to supply themselves.

Overall I am still in favor of ammo in the game. The big question for me is how, when the hoped for influx of new players arrives, will the balance between gear needed, gathering (most especially), refining and crafting work out. I think somewhere it would be extremely useful to have some guidance to new players on building up their characters which did not only focus on adventuring (combat) skills. I believe to make the game viable we need to encourage the thinking that characters need to be built to accomplish multiple objectives in order to be functional in the game in the long run. This is most especially true since new players unlike us old hats will likely not have multiple accounts.

The fact that gathering/refining/crafting skills can be used to raise ability scores needed for the chosen combat role is a huge strength of the game and could help move people in that direction. But this is not discussed anywhere. Almost every other MMO out there has web pages with build discussions which can be searched. Despite this game having been being played for 2 plus years since EE started, as best I remember there has never been a page in the forums with build guides, and unfortunately this forum is not searchable.

How about a community effort to put something together for new players along with some direction during the starter quests to have new players look at this info?
HowardWdW
Just following up on my last post, and I know this doesn't really belong in Ammo, but has there been any thought to re-balancing what gathering, refining and crafting skills train which Ability score? If we follow the reasoning that new players will need to be a bit of a jack of various trades, then the current distribution of skills vs abilities is a little un-balanced. Only 2 out of 19 refining/crafting skills train strength. No gathering skill trains Dexterity, Strength or Intelligence. If Sorcerer is ever a thing and runs off Personality there is basically one combo of things that train that. Anyway…just another set of thoughts.
Giorgio
HowardWdW
Just following up on my last post, and I know this doesn't really belong in Ammo, but has there been any thought to re-balancing what gathering, refining and crafting skills train which Ability score? If we follow the reasoning that new players will need to be a bit of a jack of various trades, then the current distribution of skills vs abilities is a little un-balanced. Only 2 out of 19 refining/crafting skills train strength. No gathering skill trains Dexterity, Strength or Intelligence. If Sorcerer is ever a thing and runs off Personality there is basically one combo of things that train that. Anyway…just another set of thoughts.

This really needs its own thread.

As a player who main PC is a free holder, who feels like a second/afterthought class, I have a few things I’d like to add; but not in an “ammo” thread. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Flari-Merchant
Tested only with a pretty advanced skill and gear Archer: couldn't be bothered to mess with various builds on limited time

Having taken another look at the EE14 build (fresh today) concerning only archer aspects, not testing in so many places with difficult LoS, variously updated damage spreads and vs. a few different critters:

1. The "slowed by 50% for 2 sec condition" did not seem so clunky in open terrain but I still feel it is more like a hamper for 3-4 secs.

2. The way that I was trained and geared made even "Salvage Arrows" seem as effective as they are in the real game now. At least on bandits and gobbos and wolves

3. Obviously, it looks like T1 +0 arrows are either exactly equivalent to current "no ammo required' game play or really close.

4. Higher strength enemies (Ogres, Eles, Bandit Captains) there is a clear power hike for higher tier higher + arrows.

Have to see the new numbers but if they are consistent with what I have seen, I would be careful about making arrows any more quick/cheap to craft or melee will be really pissed off. OR at least put in an interrupt mechanic against ranged attackers that are toe-to-toe with melee attackers.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Mistwalker
Can anyone refresh my memory.
Once ammo is in, will some mobs be dropping charged gems for mage and/or cleric ammo?
Flari-Merchant
Mistwalker
Can anyone refresh my memory.
Once ammo is in, will some mobs be dropping charged gems for mage and/or cleric ammo?
They drop both "salvage arrows" and "salvage charges" which are a bit weaker than T1 +0 ammo
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post