Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

A Modest Proposal

Stilachio Thrax
This game often feels like it has a lot of sticks, but not enough carrots. The value of recipes and expendables as rewards is lessening as players acquire more and more of them. Somewhat tangentially, the Pathfinder TT game has a rich cache of magic items that make our current items seem rather plain.

To help remedy this, I propose adding in one-shot recipes as a potential reward when finishing off escalations or at the end of Invasions. Perhaps they could even be a drop from PVP, if a way to circumvent fight-clubbing for the drop could be avoided. The nitty gritty:
- They would have a small chance to drop (around the rate for an azlanti stone), and the power of the item would be related to the tier of the escalation that drops it.
- They all would be based on, or inspired by, items in Pathfinder TT.
- They are all crafted by an appropriate crafter profession. The recipe can be traded. The crafter learns the recipe and can make 1 of the particular item, and the recipe then disappears from the list.
- Due to rarity and difficulty of getting it made, they have a higher durability than a regular item.
- By hewing close to their TT equivalents, they can offer different and possibly more effects/bonuses than regular gear.
- Every gear slot/weapon type/armor feat would have min 2-3 1-shot options, maybe more,to flesh out roles, playstyles, and character identity. For instance longsword options could include a Holy Avenger, Scimitar of the Spellthief, or Bastard's Sting.

General's Banded +3 is nice armor, but my fighter would much rather have a Mithral Full Plate of Speed, but my paladin would rather have Daystar Half-Plate or Celestial Plate. Wouldn't a rogue rather have Murderer's Blackcloth than a Shadowskin armor? These 1-shots could help differentiate characters more, and once threading is a thing, might help gear churn as they might cost more to thread, freeing up other items to loot in PVP, or giving a lucky PVPer a great trophy. Keeping the drop rate low, they won't ever eliminate the need for regular crafted gear, and by dropping only as a recipe, crafters are a critical part of the system. Everyone wins- adventurers possibly get a nice reward for things that often feel less than rewarding, crafters get new things to make (and sell, if an item recipe isn't needed by the lucky adventurer.)
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Maxen
A great idea and one that would infuse more Pathfinder lore and flavor into the game. I agree they should be rare and making it a one use recipe (vice an item drop) maintains the position that all gear is player-crafted. I like it.
Flari-Merchant
Agree!
-Put some Wonder and Thunder (mostly keep refreshing it) into the game for those that participate in it's activities.
-Add more "familiar ties" to PFRPG TT to help it seem more similar.
-We know that you can add recipes and manipulate crafting UI's relatively easy.
-We are going to need "new things" to strive for so that we can respark/keep interest alive.

For instance did you consider adding katana recipe to this new escalation? Or an Asian named pole arm?

We can handle hanging in there for future animations and/or weapon attacks for this stuff. We just want the horizons extended.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Lisa Stevens
I really like this idea! Of course, the big blocker for this is going to be artwork, since we aren't sitting on a pile of unused artwork and the first new artwork we get will be used to fill out the classes and their armor tiers. But on its whole, it is a pretty cool idea.
Decius
Rare items like that probably work better as a common recipe that requires a rare drop to complete. If a 'divine relic' can be used to make one of several items, the AH market for the resource is going to be more aggressive.
Flari-Merchant
Lisa Stevens
I really like this idea! Of course, the big blocker for this is going to be artwork, since we aren't sitting on a pile of unused artwork and the first new artwork we get will be used to fill out the classes and their armor tiers. But on its whole, it is a pretty cool idea.

We have been pretty good at hand waving unique art for armor and weapons and even though that is part of the fun of having/wearing different armors, I can say that I (only opinion of one) can continue to hand wave it for some time. I know it will get done up proper, eventually. smile
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Schedim
Decius
Rare items like that probably work better as a common recipe that requires a rare drop to complete. If a 'divine relic' can be used to make one of several items, the AH market for the resource is going to be more aggressive.

but it would be some thing NEW and UNIQUE in the same way. i think it brings some flavour to the table that is needed. Then there are some trouble with the current system that may be a problem, for instance I think it is still impossible to change the durability to be something else than 20?
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Decius
Schedim
Decius

but it would be some thing NEW and UNIQUE in the same way. i think it brings some flavour to the table that is needed. Then there are some trouble with the current system that may be a problem, for instance I think it is still impossible to change the durability to be something else than 20?
It would be possible to make it INV, but probably not wise.

I was really making a nuanced improvement from "Recipe:Thing (single use)" to having a Thing recipe that acts like other recipes, or even is universal, but making one of the ingredients in that recipe be a rare thing acquired from playing the game.
Edam
I actually have always been in favour of ALL recipes above a certain level being limited use. It makes things a lot more interesting if that Adamantine Shirt Recipe only lets you make 10 sets of armor and your Priests Scale Recipe is only good for 5.
Azure_Zero
Stilachio Thrax
This game often feels like it has a lot of sticks, but not enough carrots.
……….

I recall Playing EE version 1.0,
This version currently has a crap ton of carrots, and not enough sticks.
I recall Escalations; growing in power, spreading, and being a pain to remove.
I recall that you had to go to certain areas of the map to get specific resources in a decent amount (like cooper only being on ZKM).
I recall being encumbered by copper coins from doing escalations and we wanted to keep those coins.
I recall Recipes used to be far more rare (or that is how it felt).

Currently;
Recipes drop like crazy
Escalations are no big deal.
No one cares about coins unless they are gold or Platinum.

So yeah, where are the Sticks and the Carrots, eh.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post