Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

ISP bandwidth throttling and PFO

Thod-Theodum
I pasted this on the PFO boards but it might be good to have a copy here as well

———-

I love the game so far and I'm hooked. But the game has been unplayable at times - well - actually quite often. But there are the times inbetween - mornings or late night - that I could actually enjoy it.

It doesn't help that we have issue like the DDOS last weekend and at least 1 alpha tester being blacklisted.

So after a lot of invetigation I have come to the conclusion that the most likely culprit for my bad performance is my own ISP and bandwidth throttling.

The idea behing it is to disadvantage bandwidth hogs like P2P and to ensure the normal customer can enjoy his webpages and especially games which are prioritized. Well - that is the advertisement at least.

So what do we have. I have 'unlimited usage' but there is a fair use policy.

Did I download too much?
a) I have a Youtube addicted child with his own iPad - this won't go away
b) I bought a new computer with Windows 7. Install, updates of 200+ patches etc. likely caused me at least 5GB to download - possibly more.
c) I downloaded lots of PFO installers. 1.3 GB a piece - sometimes on 2 or 3 computers (3 subscribers in the family) and if it crashed after 1 GB I restarted it

I'm not a P2P user - and the whole idea of throttling is to enable customers to play and give games preferred service. Off course the question is - are goblinworks.com classified as P2P or gaming. I would guess the first is more likely. They don't (yet) have to cloud to be seen as a gaming provider like xbos gaming, playstation or any other gaming network.

So lets look at the signs that I'm currently throtled
1) Internet speedtest shows a remarkable stable 1 MB/sec upload speed any time of the day.
2) Gaming during the week remarkable improved after 11 pm
3) Yesterday night I managed a speedtest of 0.5 MB/sec download - upload was still the same 1 MB/sec
4) It seems now 'stable' at 1 MB / sec download as well
5) I seem to be occasionally been kicked out of my connection

I will update this if I can confirm this. But maybe this is helpful for other players who are utterly frustrated by connections - and Ryan who seems utterly frustrated not finding problems for them.

goblinworks.com being regarded by my ISP as P2P seems plausible
Me being throttled seems very likely now

Edit: I'm with EE in the UK
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Thod-Theodum
A question to Goblinworks:
What information do I need to provide the ISP to ensure they take goblinworks off the 'blacklist' or reclassify them. Not sure it can be done easily if this is an automated system. But maybe Goblinworks can be whitelisted. This is not yet confirmed - I will have a visit to an EE shop later today.
I need to cancel my upgrade to fibre until this is resolved.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Ryan Dancey
There is nothing special about our game that should cause you any problems. It should look no different than any other MMO while being played. We don't send very much data to and from the server. If you are being throttled I suspect it is due to your total bandwidth consumption not anything related to us. But if you have a fiber connection I question even that. I suspect it is much more likely you have some mis-configured hardware (either yours or your ISPs), some of your equipment has been compromised and is now a part of a botnet, someone in your home is running an active P2P file server, or there is a bandwidth bottleneck somewhere between you and us.
Thod-Theodum
Ryan

I agree - PFO is not the cause - PFO is rather the canary in the mine.

And I agree that the most likely cause is total bandwidth.

The whole P2P is likely just a red herring. My provider claims they only throttle P2P and Newsfeed. From your information I take it that this might be just too difficult and if you are above a certain bandwidth (which is not disclosed - but you hear about disgruntled customers) that they throttle you as high bandwidth = P2P and newsfeed users (and we all know this isn't necessary true).

Alpha might have contributed thanks to several downloads of the program - I might have been over the usage for a while. We won't know.

I will look for a new provider on Monday. I just hope I'm an isolated case. I heard several people complaining about lag. None seemed as bad as mine - so I hope it is just me.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post