Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Line of sight in pve

Bob
Bringslite-Dominion Soldier
I find the same problem that others have found with melee AoE. Many times Whirlwind will not trigger until I can get a lock on something outside the actual cluster. For a 2+ year character, it only adds a lil difficulty.

Are these kinds of issues happening with all kinds of mobs, or do they mostly happen with specific kinds of mobs (humanoids or ogres or wolves or goblins, etc)?
Edam
My naive un-researched impression is larger mobs (such as elementals) are worse, HOWEVER that may just be an artifact of the fact they have more hitpoints and hence line of sight issues are more frustrating.

A good test would be to run a gusher in a Ninja hex smile
Maxen
Bob
I find the same problem that others have found with melee AoE. Many times Whirlwind will not trigger until I can get a lock on something outside the actual cluster. For a 2+ year character, it only adds a lil difficulty.

Are these kinds of issues happening with all kinds of mobs, or do they mostly happen with specific kinds of mobs (humanoids or ogres or wolves or goblins, etc)?

Most of the gushers I’ve done have involved bandit attacks. I’ve definitely experienced the issue BL describes with those.
Edam
The other very frustrating "line of sight" issue is a melee character (player or otherwise) running past may only be between a ranged character and the targeted mob for a tiny fraction of a second but it seems to block line of sight for the ranged character for a very long period.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

Only really seeing in groups of gobbos, bandits and including ogres when they are there in the shared spot. Probably wolves too.

My gut is also telling me that poles for standards/flags/maybe lamps probably shouldn't block LoS or have collision at all.
Flari-Merchant
Mistwalker
Have any of you having trouble with the mob tactics tried jumping?

My mage stands on a table, and when I get mobbed, I key the attack, jump up, and the attack goes off.

Tis another tactic to use with AoE attacks.
Will give it a try. Thanks, Mistwalker
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Overall I do like that line of sight is in place.

What I want to see is how it affects PvP. I can imagine a lot more tactics can be used now that we have to be able to see our targets.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Edam
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Overall I do like that line of sight is in place.

What I want to see is how it affects PvP. I can imagine a lot more tactics can be used now that we have to be able to see our targets.

It would be rather amusing if the lufbery circle became a valid PFO defence against incoming ranged smile
You are a Troll
It is not a threat to quit Maxen. It is, as Paddy states, a statement of how I feel the game has evolved. With such a low server population the changes in the latest patch do not make the game more fun and interesting, they make the game more of a chore; more un-fun. And so, I will be voting with my wallet now instead of my words.
Bob
My gut is also telling me that poles for standards/flags/maybe lamps probably shouldn't block LoS or have collision at all.

If an object has a collider on it, either to block player/mob movement or to make the object clickable, then we have to jump through a bunch of hoops to exempt that object from LoS. For this initial implementation, we've kept things as simple as possible. We'll work on improvements over time, but as always we have to prioritize that against other work, so simpler adjustments are more likely to be made soon, with trickier adjustments coming later (unless they're really important).

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post