Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Line of sight in pve

Bob
Something else I've noticed while testing around all this feedback is that often I'll get behind cover and then notice myself taking damage from my target, who now lacks LoS. In some cases, the target then keeps attacking me, meaning there's a bug for us to look at. In others, the target moved shortly thereafter, meaning that the original attack was checked for LoS while the target still had LoS, and the damage just happened later since we only check LoS at the beginning of the attack. We may eventually decide to check LoS at multiple points of the attack, but there's an interesting balance there between realism and the frustration of losing attacks half-way through.
Mistwalker
Thanks for the insights, comments and taking the time to answer our comments/questions/concerns.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

How long do you think until you can factor in "partial cover" for things like low walls and fences and catwalks or do you think that you ever can with the way the system is built?
Bob
Bringslite-Dominion Soldier
How long do you think until you can factor in "partial cover" for things like low walls and fences and catwalks or do you think that you ever can with the way the system is built?

There are ways we could implement partial cover, but it wasn't in our initial LOS plans. If we wanted to add it at some point, doing so wouldn't be particularly dependent on any other work, though it would be best to polish the basic LOS system first to provide a better foundation for layering on partial cover. The real trick would be coming up with a reasonably efficient version of partial cover that makes combat more fun (as opposed to just more complicated), then prioritizing that against other possible work.
Flari-Merchant
Bob

There are ways we could implement partial cover, but it wasn't in our initial LOS plans. If we wanted to add it at some point, doing so wouldn't be particularly dependent on any other work, though it would be best to polish the basic LOS system first to provide a better foundation for layering on partial cover. The real trick would be coming up with a reasonably efficient version of partial cover that makes combat more fun (as opposed to just more complicated), then prioritizing that against other possible work.
Thanks Bob. I guess I'll have to wait a bit for more granular combat conditions.

Hopefully this fix will work well. I have experienced the mobbing during gushers where all were on me, pinning me, while one was frantically running around looking for a lock on me. No LoS for me, on any, until I remembered Mistwalker's "jump" tip. I don't mind the idea of getting mobbed and pinned as long as there is a way to get out of it. Jumping doesn't feel like a very… cool? solution. Especially for those that are killing the mobs one-by-one. Seems gimmicky. It also runs down the Kit strength pretty fast! smile

Another issue I have had is standing behind a table on its side, bowing(the shooting kind) at a huge crystal. The table was only to my waist but it denied a LoS lock on the crystal way above me. Can't wait until you guys can spare some time to trim down the collision boxes on some of the scenery.
Flari-Merchant
On the other hand, I was just mentioning last night in an escalation that I am really digging ranged combat now. While most would find party members and mobs moving into their LoS as annoying, I find it dynamic, forcing me to move to reestablish LoS or pick anther target. Not sure why but I am liking that, having to move around and choose targets from a melee mess. smile
Bob
Another issue I have had is standing behind a table on its side, bowing(the shooting kind) at a huge crystal. The table was only to my waist but it denied a LoS lock on the crystal way above me. Can't wait until you guys can spare some time to trim down the collision boxes on some of the scenery.

The "center" for crystals is also a bit lower than you'd expect, since we're generally measuring from the ground to the top of the entity and they're the only entities that float. That's another issue we're looking into fixes for.
Bob
On the other hand, I was just mentioning last night in an escalation that I am really digging ranged combat now. While most would find party members and mobs moving into their LoS as annoying, I find it dynamic, forcing me to move to reestablish LoS or pick anther target. Not sure why but I am liking that, having to move around and choose targets from a melee mess. smile

That's certainly the goal for LoS, adding a nice little layer of complexity to combat that makes you adjust your strategies as circumstances change on the battlefield. The tricky part is making sure it's not requiring so many adjustments that it just gets aggravating, and also making sure it feels intuitive enough overall that those adjustments can be made fairly easily. Things felt pretty balanced in those respects for the combat situations I experienced during testing, but there are, unsurprisingly, plenty of other situations that need more tuning.
Maxen

Totally agree with this. It adds a new dynamic to ranged combat and keeps the combat fluid.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob and Cole

14.2 much improved NPC behavior during gushers(for myself at least). One or two will still get real close, like on my spot, but they don't ALL try to get on my spot. Haven't had time to test much else but what I have done has seemed better. Thanks Guys! smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post