Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Potential 14.2 On Zog

Bob
We've deployed a potential 14.2 build up to Zog. I say potential because it hasn't had much testing yet, just enough to verify it's not breaking anything obvious. On the other hand, it's small enough and has important enough fixes in it that we wanted to get some wider testing started over our Thanksgiving break. If it holds up well through the weekend, and then survives my more rigorous testing next Monday, we may roll it out to Live early next week. If not, or if we decide to add a few more things before deploying to Live, then at least the current changes will have been running through multiple Daily Maintenance periods, which is always helpful.

Here's a list of the biggest changes in this build:

• We finally tracked down and fixed what was causing individual hexes to break, resulting in things like feats not applying effects correctly (like the infamous time when casting Agile Feet would make you bleed, or the multiple reports of Energetic Field not applying all of its effects), or Opportunity not getting applied correctly, or exiting combat mode repeatedly in the middle of a fight. Thanks for filing all those reports, they really helped us establish a pattern and finally find a pattern to what was happening, which ultimately led us to the problematic code.
  • Line of Sight is considered unblocked when a character/entity is so close to another character/entity that they're partially sharing the same space.
  • Mobs generally try to stay a little further apart, which keeps them from bunching up so much when large groups try to surround a target. The ones further back will eventually be blocked by the front row and won't keep shoving forward to establish Line of Sight.
  • Fixed an issue where having an ammo-using weapon without an ammo container could break various parts of the UI (feats in the Personal Window, recently trained feats on Training Windows, ammo counter on the Action Bar).
  • Ammo containers now remember what was in each slot during the previous combat and auto-restock those slots in order before auto-stocking salvaged ammo.
Giorgio
+1 to improvements. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Flari-Merchant
Awesome! Polish, polish, polish… smile
Maxen
Thanks Bob. I was able to test bullets 1, 2, and 3. Those seem to be working as described in your notes. Wasn't able to test 4 or 5 as I didn't experience those and wasn't sure what to look for.
Bob
Maxen
Thanks Bob. I was able to test bullets 1, 2, and 3. Those seem to be working as described in your notes. Wasn't able to test 4 or 5 as I didn't experience those and wasn't sure what to look for.

Thanks for checking things out.

For anyone else interested, here are some helpful hints for trying those fixes out.

• Broken hexes: Try buffing yourself (e.g. casting Energetic Field) right before officially crossing from hex A to hex B. Then buff yourself again just before crossing back from hex B to hex A. Repeat multiple times. If the buff keeps working, that's a good sign. You can also try getting into lots of fights that cross back and forth between hex A and hex B and see if combat gets weird in either hex after a while.
  • Line of Sight: Get a large group of mobs to surround you. Keep running around until one of the mobs messes up and starts to occupy roughly the same space as you. You should be able to attack that mob.
  • Less Bunched Up: Let a large group of bandits, goblins, or other similarly sized mobs attack you. See how bunched up they get.
  • Ammo containers and UI: Equip an ammo-using weapon without an ammo container, and select that as your current weapon. Log out and back in again. Open up your Personal Window, all your feats should still be there even though you don't have an ammo container. You should also see 0 ammo listed in your Action Bar, and training skills should immediately update the training window (instead of letting you click on Train again only to be told you've already learned that rank).
  • Ammo Container Memory: Stock an ammo container with 1 crafted arrow/charge, and leave a large number of that exact type of ammo in your inventory. Kill something, using up your stocked ammo(and likely running through some makeshift ammo). Wait until you exit combat mode, then check your ammo container. It should be auto-stocked with the crafted ammo from inventory, then with any salvaged ammo there's still room for.
Flari-Merchant
Not sure this is the right place for this: Any clues yet on why the dropping of combat mode is happening so quickly even in the middle of brawls?

Also, particularly ogres(red or tougher), seem to have a never noticed "healing spike" at around 1/2 or less hit points. I personally do not mind it as I think mobs should in some cases, but is that built in and is it safe for newer characters? Never noticed it before.
Bob
Bringslite-Dominion Soldier
Not sure this is the right place for this: Any clues yet on why the dropping of combat mode is happening so quickly even in the middle of brawls?

Also, particularly ogres(red or tougher), seem to have a never noticed "healing spike" at around 1/2 or less hit points. I personally do not mind it as I think mobs should in some cases, but is that built in and is it safe for newer characters? Never noticed it before.

We're pretty sure this is all due to the broken hexes issue that will get fixed in 14.2. In essence, every time you attack something or get damaged, you're supposed to get a combat effect put on you that says "stay in combat mode for a while longer," which is very similar to having effects like "go faster for a while" or "be an Opportunity for a while" put on you. When the hex gets broken, those effects can either not get applied at all, or other effects can get applied instead. With "stay in combat" not getting regularly reapplied, you basically go into combat mode on your first attack, fall out 12 seconds later, then re-enter combat mode just enough to pull out your weapon again. Sometimes this seems to result in being sort-of-in-combat, but regenerating as though you're out-of-combat, and can happen to mobs as well. This isn't really noticeable on weaker mobs that tend to get killed within 6 seconds, but can be pretty noticeable on tougher mobs when it happens.
Edam
The only concern with changing the bunching up is splash AoE attacks are very close range. If the mobs were to stop outside splash range it would render feats like carve, wilting surge and whirlwind fairly pointless.
Bob
Edam
The only concern with changing the bunching up is splash AoE attacks are very close range. If the mobs were to stop outside splash range it would render feats like carve, wilting surge and whirlwind fairly pointless.

That's definitely something we'll need to keep an eye on. You'll probably catch less mobs on average per AoE attack, but I think you'll still be able to average above the "expected" numbers that the AoE's are balanced for, assuming you're generally using them when you have a good chance of catching reasonable numbers of mobs. If that doesn't seem to be the case, we can either look into letting them bunch up a little more, or into rebalancing AoE's based on lower expected numbers of mobs, depending on which would feel better overall.
Flari-Merchant
Or you can step into the better spot for your aoe like we have always done previously

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post