Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Clarifications on base camp versus freehold

Demiurge
Hi

According to the shop the Freehold regenerates 600 power every 4 hours whilst the cheaper base camp regenerates 800 power every 4 hours. This makes base camps tempting as most high level characters are not fully restored by the 600 power you get from a freehold.

I would just like to confirm that these are the correct current figures and not some sort of typo (or error that will see the base camp power reduced at a later date) before buying a base camp.
Bob
Those numbers are correct. The Freehold has other advantages, so the Base Camp got a bit of a Power boost to make it a more interesting tradeoff.
Tyncale
I just now noticed that Smallholdings prices (now called Freeholds) were slashed in half. Rather then a temporary discount, this seems more of a complete rethinking of what these items should cost(Basecamp also slashed in half). Has it been considered to give existing owners something in return as a sort of thank you for purchasing this when prices were twice as high? I realize that PFO is still a game very much in development, so people will probably say to suck it up, just like the people that bought into Everquest Next and Landmark had to take their loss when those got canned, but still. PFO is still alive and being developed, so I think such a huge price drop could warrant something to appease those that invested. Was this pricedrop ever communicated to us?

Mind you, I am not talking about refunds, I know how fickle the true value of virtual goods and pixels is. But some token of appreciation that would cost Goblinworks nothing, and would not piss off any players that do not qualify for this token.

Hell, I would settle for just having a different name for our freehold, or keep the old name(Smallholding), just so people know the owner was a trailblazer. smile

Probably not something that you would gladly add to your existing workload(sorry people, for nagging), just wondering if there were any considerations.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Edam
I personally have got way more than $200 worth of use from my day one smallholding purchase - though I can see how people that purchased one at full price just before the price drop may feel a bit miffed.
Bob
And hence why there's an open offer for anyone who purchased smallholdings or base camps within a few months of the price/name change to contact customer.support@goblinworks.com so we can work something out.
Zax
Bob
And hence why there's an open offer for anyone who purchased smallholdings or base camps within a few months of the price/name change to contact customer.support@goblinworks.com so we can work something out.

And that is more than reasonable. I agree with Edam, I have gotten more than $200 worth of use out of the Small Holding and the improvements to the Base Camps and the Small Holdings (Freeholds) have only further justified my purchase. Dropping the price of Base Camps to $25 and with the updated cooldown really makes those enticing for a wanderer like myself smile
Tyncale
Good to hear something is being done for those that bought them just before the price drop. That definitely does not include me though.

I can't really say I have gotten my worth out of it: I bought it for the future with a thriving game in mind, with (tens of) thousands of players, where all of those cool things were happening that Ryan described for us in the Blogs. A game where hunting parties, warbands, Bandits and Caravans roamed the lands, Sieges going on, constant flow of goods across the lands, with a serious chance of encounters and mayhem.

In such a world, I envisioned having a Smallholding could be a blessing, and be of good use. As it has played out now, I have gotten some use out of it as a temp storage near the Moloch Home hex when there were still enough players around to form a party there. After the funding fell through the world became emptier then ever and the Smallholding fell in disuse. I hardly used it as a temp storage anyway, since I could just as well haul any valuable goods to Callambea right away anyway: because the world, even then, was still a hugely safe place to travel due to the lack of players.

It is nice that you got your use out of it, Edam; then again, you and 5 or 6 others are basically playing (and owning) this game all by your lonesome. The current game reflects in no way what it should be and could be when the blogs had come true: apparently, in the current warped version of PFO you have found use for your Smallholding over the many years that you and your brethren have been carving out Kingdoms in a world without strife, without inhabitants. For me, any purchase done with Goblinworks in the past, was aimed for the future that was described for us in the Ryan Blogs.

The only reason that I am still here, and keeping at least 1 account subbed, is still for the possibility of that future becoming real. In that light, I still am hoping to get serious use out of the Smallholding I bought so many years ago. But for now, the money has been a waste, and the price cut did not help feeling good about it.

I did get enough fun out of PFO for an original 100 dollar pledge though. So there's that. smile

NB: when I say "warped version" I am talking about the fact that the population has not materialized (yet), not about the current direction that Bob and Cole are going. That direction is still mostly in tune with the old vision, though hugely hindered by a severe lack of money. I am still here because I think GW is still on track, be it severely delayed. And they are doing a humongously good job of implementing the promised systems. With only two people which is amazing.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Edam
Tyncale
It is nice that you got your use out of it, Edam; then again, you and 5 or 6 others are basically playing (and owning) this game all by your lonesome.
You have a good point about low population making the current game more attractive to builder types and less attractive to people with trader/PvP/etc aspirations however inferring there are only 5 or 6 players in the game is an exaggeration.

Keepers Pass last week had 10 players turn up just for a Mordant escalation and we are one of the smaller active groups. The dominion for example regularly gets a lot more players online than we do. Whilst it is true there are not hundreds neverlone thousands of players logging in on any given day - there are definitely a lot more than 5 or 6.
Tyncale
True, I probably should have just said "owning" instead of "playing and owning". smile Not 5 or 6, but definately no more then dozens. The bulk of the Assets in this game are held by very, very few people. With Assets, I mean the accumulation of Holdings/Hexes, money, Recipes, Bulk Goods, Crafting materials *and* high level (DT)accounts, residing with only a few people. I am even counting myself.

By the way, this lopsided balance worries me less then some others I have heard. All it needs is one Guild like Steelwings (if some of you remember him) put their mind to it, and these Kingdoms will fall within weeks, completely reshaping the political landscape, if you can even talk of one now. A trickle of new players will just side with the big fat boys. But not such a Guild that decides to come here, with a purpose.

This is one of the reasons that I still have hope for PFO. The big problem is how to interest such a Guild in the first place? Such a thing could get the ball rolling, but who gives the first push? If only this challenge could be thrown out there, advertised in some way.

I still think you need Free to Play + different xp system for this to happen. smile
Flari-Merchant
Interesting take on the situation, Tyncale. I am not sure what else can be expected because not that many players have stuck it out throughout the game's life so far. Of course they have accumulated things with almost 3 years of game behind them they have gained power and their groups have built wealth.

There has been a long stretch without serious conflict of any kind. Partially because there is enough land for all, there are too few to run it well and there have been so many changes that most players(right now) are trying to catch up to or prepare for incoming changes to infrastructure(like DI and new holding outputs). Mix that with not very exciting or rewarding PVP and you have serious stagnation. You will not see large organized groups moving in and smashing The Old Guard within a few weeks though. For one it isn't possible by normal methods to do that fast. For another the game isn't that interesting(yet) in the PVP market to attract that kind of group. They wouldn't be able to sustain the numbers needed to over match the wealth and accumulated power of the established, active groups so swiftly.

I don't think you will see FTP without cash shop coders and artists to make it viable. AS for xp, most groups that enjoy dominating territory seem perfectly happy with the EVE Online system. Why would this one bother them?
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post