Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Territory Claims and Escalations

Nails
Much has been said about settlements claiming hexes, but what is fair for those hexes as it relates to escalations?

Are all escalations that are in a settlements claimed territory theirs and theirs alone for as long as that settlement wants? What if the settlement is not active?

There are tons of escalations that are on the map that just sit, with nobody working them, or working them very slowly, where they are in a hex for weeks or more. What is the fair way to handle that? In the past, BHA had a policy that if an escalation was left for more than 3 days, in anyone's territory, it was fair game to be taken out by any group. From what I hear, they no longer stand by this. But, my point is, what is fair for the server and its participants?

Personally, I feel that if a settlement is active and taking down their escalations in a reasonable amount of time, say a week or less, that they should be left alone. But what is fair? For example, AL is not one of the most active groups around has had a Revenge of Nuhr that was in one of their hexes for over a month without being touched, The Dominion had an Elite Dark Elf escalation in a hex in excess of 2 weeks and BHA had a Elite Dark Elf escalation for more than 3 weeks.

Can we as an active user base decide what is fair and not fair for this topic?

(I hope this is not going to degrade into name calling and unreasonable statements but can be a reasonable discussion)
BlackMoria
I don't have answer for you on that. The most reasonable and simplest solution to my mind is territory is actually claimed by settlement holdings (not small holding or base camps) and anything more than that is wishfully thinking or ego stroking. And since holdings can't be placed in monster hexes, there is no 'actual' claim to the hex supported by game mechanics.

On the other hand, claims and ignoring them have real consequences. And since a fair amount of PvP has escalated into far bigger affairs by hotheads on one or both sides, such claims can't just be dismissed out of hand unless you want to see your settlement in flames eventually. There is no middle ground here. Every provocation of ignoring a claim has the possibility of going nuclear. That is reality of the game. Really sad that there is no middle ground because that in part is stifling any meaningful pvp if two opposing people in a monster hex claimed by a settlement results in possibly siege equipment showing up around the offender's settlement.

As I said, I don't have answer short of me saying there is too many hot heads in the game calling the shots.
Suave
Since the Bandit Coalition never recognized these territorial claims, we pretty much don't care.
Udo
You have what you hold. That includes escalations…. and works both ways.
“Those who surrender Freedom for Security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one”
-B Franklin
Flari-Merchant
Udo
Yeah, I feel like that is about as close to any agreement that we will ever get, server wide.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Notta
Speaking as an individual, not as a member of a settlement, if the group claiming the hex does not protest the fact that others are working the escalation or acts against said others, then that group, in essence, is surrendering its rights to that claim until such time as it protests the violation of said claim or acts against the violators.

Once protest or action in response to a violation of a claim occurs, what happens next depends on the nature of the group violating said claim. If that group was lawful, I would assume they would recognize the claim; the response of other groups would, I suppose, vary by alignment.

Expecting "server wide consensus" is irrational.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Probably not, nor should we. Claims are just declarations of intent, it's up to you to decide if going against that intent is worth the potential risk. The peaceful escalation farming initiatives and the lack of any useful PvP is what's killing this game.

That said I can't believe we're still talking about this between the same old people no less.
Stilachio Thrax
Udo

Realistically this about sums it up. I would hope that as a courtesy, parties interested in working an escalation known to be in another's "territory" might ask first if it would be ok, but most probably won't.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Stilachio Thrax
Udo

Realistically this about sums it up. I would hope that as a courtesy, parties interested in working an escalation known to be in another's "territory" might ask first if it would be ok, but most probably won't.

That depends solely on the diplomatic relationship between the parties interested in the escalation. If multiple parties want to hold on to an escalation and enforce that claim either they work together or they compete for it. Saying an escalation is automatically someone's territory without trying to back it up is a meaningless claim. If two groups don't want to work together and one group competes while the other does nothing, then the first group is the one who actually owns the escalation and now the other group has to do something to take back what they lost.

You have what you hold.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Zax
Duffy Swiftshadow
Probably not, nor should we. Claims are just declarations of intent, it's up to you to decide if going against that intent is worth the potential risk. The peaceful escalation farming initiatives and the lack of any useful PvP is what's killing this game.

That said I can't believe we're still talking about this between the same old people no less.

+ a Billion Trillion

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post