Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Territory Claims and Escalations

Zax
Udo
You have what you hold. That includes escalations…. and works both ways.

+1
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Udo
You have what you hold. That includes escalations…. and works both ways.

+2
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Flari-Merchant
So bottom line, IMHO there is probably no agreement possible server-wide. At the same time, active players should not have to suffer for absentee players or those less interested in the escalations in their territory.

Therefore since there can be no agreement and there should not be lack of momentum, players should decide to do as they think best in escalation hexes and be willing/unwilling to pay the price (if any) that is the consequence of doing so.

The key here is that they should not have to feel bad due to public pressure. Whatever results, they are progressing the game and making things happen…
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
harneloot
Well, I only claim one single hex (swamp monster hex) and planted my Freehold there to show that (yes I know there are no in-game mechanics to enforce this claim, but there is in-game pvp smile Anyone who visits without invitation will be attacked. Any escalation myself and other residents of Hammerfall can't clear out in a reasonable time will see invites going out in General Chat for assistance. If you have been snooping around and see something in the swamp that is tasty, feel free to offer help by contacting me on the PFO Discord or Whisper me in game. I am more than willing to party up with most people….but I do not like sneaky trespassers who slink about in the middle of the night smile

(yes, I know my *middle-of-the-night* might be someone else's morning, afternoon or evening…just be polite and ask first…or not. We have what we hold).
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
My take,of course there is never gonna be a server wide agreement on everything but there doesnt need to be.

There are objective game mechanics that already dictate how territory works. You got a holding in a hex, then the hex is your territory. If you lose it, then it is no longer your territory. If someone sets up shop next door, then they aren't putting up a hex in some arbitrary claim, the other person owns it and it is their territory now. Want your hexes to be your territory again? Take it back, that's how this kind of ebb and flow of territory conquest works.

As for escalation matters, the mechanics say they are all open hexes. Some groups want to make some escalations part of their sphere of influence and that's all fine and dandy if you can back it up. That is it. If I bring a crew of folks to an escalation hex and no one stops us, it's our sphere of influence regardless of location until someone does something to kick us out. If not, well,then you dont hold it.

There is no need for a server wide agreement because there is already an objective standard in place. The only way this changes is if the mechanics change. This applies to all of us regardless of any factions gameplay philosophies. Personal agreement or not is irrelevant because that won't change what the mechanics dictate.

You have what you hold.
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Flari-Merchant
Paddy Fitzpatrick
My take,of course there is never gonna be a server wide agreement on everything but there doesnt need to be.

There are objective game mechanics that already dictate how territory works. You got a holding in a hex, then the hex is your territory. If you lose it, then it is no longer your territory. If someone sets up shop next door, then they aren't putting up a hex in some arbitrary claim, the other person owns it and it is their territory now. Want your hexes to be your territory again? Take it back, that's how this kind of ebb and flow of territory conquest works.

As for escalation matters, the mechanics say they are all open hexes. Some groups want to make some escalations part of their sphere of influence and that's all fine and dandy if you can back it up. That is it. If I bring a crew of folks to an escalation hex and no one stops us, it's our sphere of influence regardless of location until someone does something to kick us out. If not, well,then you dont hold it.

There is no need for a server wide agreement because there is already an objective standard in place. The only way this changes is if the mechanics change. This applies to all of us regardless of any factions gameplay philosophies. Personal agreement or not is irrelevant because that won't change what the mechanics dictate.

You have what you hold.
Seems like everyone is saying just about the same thing. The only differences would be playing alignment expectations(largely personal opinion) and political friendliness considerations. Outside of that, you have what you hold, however you hold it. Applied force, intimidation, or whatever…
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
harneloot
Agreed, just stay out of My Swamp smile
Paddy Fitzpatrick
harneloot

That swamp will be mine someday.
Find us on PFO Discord
Bob
Paddy Fitzpatrick
There are objective game mechanics that already dictate how territory works. You got a holding in a hex, then the hex is your territory. If you lose it, then it is no longer your territory.

This is true, but it's important to remember that the game mechanics only grant very specific abilities to the owners, like being able to place Outposts and set Security Levels. Any claims/rules that go beyond those mechanics are only meaningful if you're able to enforce them.

That said, enforcement is often easier when territorial claims roughly fit within a communal norm, in part because they're more easily understood and are more likely to seem fair to more people. It certainly won't guarantee that everyone abides by your claims, but it will likely reduce the number of people you have to regularly convince to do so through force.
harneloot
Paddy Fitzpatrick
harneloot

That swamp will be mine someday.

Feel free to have at the other three hexes, just stay out of My Swamp hex unless you like churning through your pretty T3 wizard robes. You've been amply warned smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post