Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Development Indexes for EE 15

Bob
I'll be posting separate threads about Development Indexes, Structure Upgrades, Structure/Settlement Upkeep, and Taxation and Fees to go over our current thoughts on implementing these for EE 15. Here's what we're thinking about for Development Indexes:

Settlements have 3 Development Indexes: Security, Civilization and Morale. These work much like Influence, with Available, Banked, Total and Max amounts, measured in units referred to as DI. Each starts with 500 Available DI, plus whatever amount Banked is necessary for the settlement’s current buildings.

Each Index keeps a history of how much DI was earned each of the previous 28 days, with each day initially set to Total DI divided by 30.

The Max for each Index is calculated right after Daily Maintenance:

• Calculate the average DI earned by that settlement in that Index over the past 28 days, 14 days and 7 days.
  • Take the greatest of those averages and multiply it by 30.

The amount of DI generated each morning is also calculated right after Daily Maintenance:

• Total hexes controlled by the settlement contribute the square root of total hexes multiplied by 40 and then rounded to the nearest integer to each Index.
  • Upgraded Holdings controlled by the settlement contribute a total of 6 points per upgrade (not counting +0), with the amount per Index set in the spreadsheets. Nothing is added for +0 Holdings.
  • Holdings/hexes that are shut down or held by companies that only joined the Settlement the previous server day don't count.
  • Infrastructure/Support Structures contribute a total of 10-45 each to DI each morning. The specific amount at each upgrade for each Index is set in the spreadsheets. They start adding DI at +0. Nothing is added for shut down Structures.

When S/M/L Structures (or Keeps) are built or upgraded, the amount of each Index specified in the spreadsheets is banked. If there isn’t enough available, the structure can’t be built or upgraded. Players are told which Indexes are insufficient when this happens.

If a settlement doesn’t have sufficient Max DI in one or more Indexes to cover the Banked DI, then all S/M/L structures (plus the Keep) shut down. When things are adjusted so that there is sufficient Max DI in all Indexes or all structures are at +0, any structure shut down purely due to DI becomes active.

DI requirements will be set so that it’s not possible to have a really advanced settlement without controlling a reasonable amount of territory. Preliminary numbers are listed in the Public Spreadsheets. Not counting Support Structures, here's roughly how many hexes would be needed to have enough DI for the following settlements:

• All +0 Structures (4650 DI): 2 +0 hexes
  • All +1 Structures (9300 DI): 7 +0 hexes or 6 +1 hexes
  • All +2 Structures (13950 DI): 12 +1 hexes or 9 +2 hexes
  • All +3 Structures (18600 DI): 15 +2 hexes or 12 +3 hexes
  • All +4 Structures (23250 DI): 17 +3 hexes or 14 +4 hexes
  • All +5 Structures (27900 DI): 18 +4 hexes or 16 +5 hexes

Assuming most settlements will have some Support Structures to lower these hex requirements, and reasonably upgraded Holdings, there are plenty of Wilderness hexes to provide every current settlement with the DI they need.

Post your feedback here for discussion, and I'll make adjustments to this post with any changes that arise from discussion, or that turn up during implementation.

Edit 1: Made it a little more explicit that the abbreviation DI refers to a single unit of measurement stored in a Development Index. I try to always shorten Development Index down to Index, instead of abbreviating it to DI, since it's confusing to use DI both to refer to the points stored in an Index and to the Index itself.
Edit 2: Commented that the territory portion of DI generation is rounded to the nearest integer after multiplying the square root of the number of hexes controlled by 40.
Edit 3: Removed reference to initializing the DI history based on current DI generation if that's higher than just total DI divided by 30. It didn't get implemented, and settlements will rise to their long-term max DI numbers after 7 days anyway. The initial lower maxes also won't block any of the incoming DI, since the maxes will rise faster than DI is coming in.
Flari-Merchant
So… on the Wiki, are the listings under the DI columns(Settlement Structures tab) supposed to be DI "required amount banked" for structures and the amount of DI "generated" for infrastructure buildings?

Edit: Are you sure that all this is complicated enuf?
Bob
Flari-Merchant
So… on the Wiki, are the listings under the DI columns(Settlement Structures tab) supposed to be DI "required amount banked" for structures and the amount of DI "generated" for infrastructure buildings?

Exactly right. I should probably break those out into separate columns at some point, but didn't want to mess with that quite yet. They've been listed in the same columns for a long time and I didn't want to break anyone's parsing tools without warning. Instead, I just adjusted the numbers a bit for now.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Flari-Merchant

Exactly right. I should probably break those out into separate columns at some point, but didn't want to mess with that quite yet. They've been listed in the same columns for a long time and I didn't want to break anyone's parsing tools without warning. Instead, I just adjusted the numbers a bit for now.
Great. I'm not losing IT yet! smile
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Are you sure that all this is complicated enuf?

We toyed with some simpler systems, but they all had issues. Going with something that's pretty close to the original design, but made to work a little more like the already-existing influence system, seemed like the best way to achieve the design ends that DI was supposed to achieve without requiring a completely new system for everyone to understand.

At the end of the day, I'm hoping that most settlements won't have to think about the details too much. They'll just be able to see how much DI they've got (or can get before hitting the max) in each Index compared to how much a particular building or upgrade they want requires, then either wait for the DI to build up or do whichever DI-building action seems most appropriate at that point (take more territory, upgrade existing holdings, or place/upgrade support structures).
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

Are adjusting things like building upgrades, to play with workable DI amounts, going to be possible on a daily basis rather than a weekly basis? If we run into a "DI bankable" problem will we be able to fix it instantly, within 24 hours or a week(Mondays)?
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Are adjusting things like building upgrades, to play with workable DI amounts, going to be possible on a daily basis rather than a weekly basis? If we run into a "DI bankable" problem will we be able to fix it instantly, within 24 hours or a week(Mondays)?

Yes, the plan is that as soon as you downgrade enough structures to get back under your Max DI in all Indexes, then your structures will all quickly reactivate.
WxCougar of KOTC
For the Infrastructure, are the DI numbers listed in the public spreadsheet daily numbers? And for the Bulk upkeep required for those Infrastructures are those weekly or daily numbers?
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Bob
WxCougar of KOTC
For the Infrastructure, are the DI numbers listed in the public spreadsheet daily numbers? And for the Bulk upkeep required for those Infrastructures are those weekly or daily numbers?

The DI numbers listed for the Infrastructure buildings are what they generate daily. The bulk upkeep listed for them is weekly, same as for upkeep on the other structures.
WxCougar of KOTC
Thanks Bob, that was what I thought but I figured I would make sure I wasn't assuming something incorrect!
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post