Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Development Indexes for EE 15

Kenton Stone
Bob
Blah Blah Blah…

Settlements have 3 Development Indexes (DI):
  1. Security
  2. Civilization
  3. Morale
These work much like Influence, with
  • Available
  • Banked
  • Total
  • Max
Seems good up to here.

Bob
Each starts at 500 Available, plus whatever amount Banked is necessary for the settlement’s current buildings.
Example before any upgraded buildings

[*]Security
      Available = (500 + (Sqrt(# of holdings)*40) + Upgraded holding bonus
      Banked = (total Security DI for all buildings at +0 in settlement)
      Total = Available + Banked
      Max = (Average daily DI generated *30)
Bob
Each Index keeps a history of how much DI was earned each of the previous 28 days, with each day initially set to Total DI divided by 30 or the amount of DI that would be generated that day, whichever is greater.
I assume this is to smooth out spikes

Bob
The Max for each Index is calculated right after Daily Maintenance:

• Calculate the average DI earned by that settlement in that Index over the past 28 days, 14 days and 7 days.
  • Take the greatest of those averages and multiply it by 30.

Does 30 have relevance (30 days etc) or is it arbitrary?

Bob
The amount of DI generated each morning is also calculated right after Daily Maintenance:

• Total hexes controlled by the settlement contribute the square root of total hexes multiplied by 40 to each Index.
  • Upgraded Holdings controlled by the settlement contribute a total of 6 points per upgrade (not counting +0), with the amount per Index set in the spreadsheets. Nothing is added for +0 Holdings.
  • Holdings/hexes that are shut down or held by companies that only joined the Settlement the previous server day don't count.
  • Infrastructure/Support Structures contribute a total of 10-45 each to DI each morning. The specific amount at each upgrade for each Index is set in the spreadsheets. They start adding DI at +0. Nothing is added for shut down Structures.

This seems straight forward
Holdings = Sqrt(# of holdings)*40
  • Upgraded to +1 = # * 6
  • Upgraded to +2 = # * 12
  • Upgraded to +3 = # * 18
  • Upgraded to +4 = # * 24
  • Upgraded to +5 = # * 30

Bob
When S/M/L Structures (or Keeps) are built or upgraded, the amount of each Index specified in the spreadsheets is banked. If there isn’t enough available, the structure can’t be built or upgraded. Players are told which Indexes are insufficient when this happens.

I assume the amount is also deduced from Available?

Bob
If a settlement doesn’t have sufficient Max DI in one or more Indexes to cover the Banked DI, then all S/M/L structures (plus the Keep) shut down. When things are adjusted so that there is sufficient Max DI in all Indexes or all structures are at +0, any structure shut down purely due to DI becomes active.

To reiterate: Available is mentioned one time but no usage is indicated.

Bob
DI requirements will be set so that it’s not possible to have a really advanced settlement without controlling a reasonable amount of territory. Preliminary numbers are listed in the Public Spreadsheets. Not counting Support Structures, here's roughly how many hexes would be needed to have enough DI for the following settlements:

• All +0 Structures (4650 DI): 2 +0 hexes
  • All +1 Structures (9300 DI): 7 +0 hexes or 6 +1 hexes
  • All +2 Structures (13950 DI): 12 +1 hexes or 9 +2 hexes
  • All +3 Structures (18600 DI): 15 +2 hexes or 12 +3 hexes
  • All +4 Structures (23250 DI): 17 +3 hexes or 14 +4 hexes
  • All +5 Structures (27900 DI): 18 +4 hexes or 16 +5 hexes

This area is a major stumbling block for my thoughts.
Lets just take the first example
All +0 Structures (4650 DI): 2 +0 hexes
above it was stated that you begin with banked DI equal to all of your settlement
buildings. So this seems to indicate that all the necessary DI is already banked
so what do the 2 +0 holdings provide in DI that is necessary? Or is this indicating
they will provide the bulk resources to pay for the buildings. If that is the case
that is a different topic from DI.

Bob
Assuming most settlements will have some Support Structures to lower these hex requirements, and reasonably upgraded Holdings, there are plenty of Wilderness hexes to provide every current settlement with the DI they need.
Post your feedback here for discussion, and I'll make adjustments to this post with any changes that arise from discussion, or that turn up during implementation.

For clarification I will post an example settlement to work through my problems. Adjusting based on your response to this.
Bob
Kenton Stone
Example before any upgraded buildings

[*]Security
Available = (500 + (Sqrt(# of holdings)*40) + Upgraded holding bonus
Banked = (total Security DI for all buildings at +0 in settlement)
Total = Available + Banked
Max = (Average daily DI generated *30)

That is basically correct for what you would have on the first day.

Available would be the initial 500 points, plus the DI generated that first day, assuming that first day didn't take you over your Max (unlikely given the way Max is originally set). The next day, if no more DI was banked from Available, you'd have another day's worth of DI in Available, again assuming you didn't go over your Max.

Kenton Stone
Bob
Each Index keeps a history of how much DI was earned each of the previous 28 days, with each day initially set to Total DI divided by 30 or the amount of DI that would be generated that day, whichever is greater.
I assume this is to smooth out spikes

Exactly so.

Kenton Stone
Bob
The Max for each Index is calculated right after Daily Maintenance:

• Calculate the average DI earned by that settlement in that Index over the past 28 days, 14 days and 7 days.
  • Take the greatest of those averages and multiply it by 30.

Does 30 have relevance (30 days etc) or is it arbitrary?

Basically chosen as the average length of a month, plus multiplying by 30 gave me cleaner-looking target results than multiplying by 28, just because it's a multiple of 10.

Kenton Stone
Holdings = Sqrt(# of holdings)*40
  • Upgraded to +1 = # * 6
  • Upgraded to +2 = # * 12
  • Upgraded to +3 = # * 18
  • Upgraded to +4 = # * 24
  • Upgraded to +5 = # * 30

Keep in mind that 6 is the total for each holding upgrade, spread across the 3 Indexes for an average of 2 per Index. You can look in the Public Spreadsheet for exactly how much each upgrade of each holding type puts in each Index.

Kenton Stone
Bob
When S/M/L Structures (or Keeps) are built or upgraded, the amount of each Index specified in the spreadsheets is banked. If there isn’t enough available, the structure can’t be built or upgraded. Players are told which Indexes are insufficient when this happens.

I assume the amount is also deducted from Available?

Correct, much as Influence is banked out of Available Influence.

Kenton Stone
Bob
If a settlement doesn’t have sufficient Max DI in one or more Indexes to cover the Banked DI, then all S/M/L structures (plus the Keep) shut down. When things are adjusted so that there is sufficient Max DI in all Indexes or all structures are at +0, any structure shut down purely due to DI becomes active.

To reiterate: Available is mentioned one time but no usage is indicated.

Correct, Available isn't mentioned here because this is about Max DI for one or more Indexes being below the Banked DI for those Indexes. It's basically the same as outposts shutting down because Max Influence for that company is below Banked Influence (not relevant now, but still planning to bring that back when we start setting Max Influence again).

Kenton Stone
Bob
DI requirements will be set so that it’s not possible to have a really advanced settlement without controlling a reasonable amount of territory. Preliminary numbers are listed in the Public Spreadsheets. Not counting Support Structures, here's roughly how many hexes would be needed to have enough DI for the following settlements:

• All +0 Structures (4650 DI): 2 +0 hexes
  • All +1 Structures (9300 DI): 7 +0 hexes or 6 +1 hexes
  • All +2 Structures (13950 DI): 12 +1 hexes or 9 +2 hexes
  • All +3 Structures (18600 DI): 15 +2 hexes or 12 +3 hexes
  • All +4 Structures (23250 DI): 17 +3 hexes or 14 +4 hexes
  • All +5 Structures (27900 DI): 18 +4 hexes or 16 +5 hexes

This area is a major stumbling block for my thoughts.
Lets just take the first example
All +0 Structures (4650 DI): 2 +0 hexes
above it was stated that you begin with banked DI equal to all of your settlement
buildings. So this seems to indicate that all the necessary DI is already banked
so what do the 2 +0 holdings provide in DI that is necessary? Or is this indicating
they will provide the bulk resources to pay for the buildings. If that is the case
that is a different topic from DI.

You need the 2 hexes, or something that's generating daily DI, so that your average over the past 7/14/28 days won't drop too low, dropping your Max below your Banked. We initially set your history high enough so that your Max covers your Banked (and possibly more if you start out with lots of things generating DI). In essence, your Max rises or falls toward your daily generated average times 30. If you suddenly stop generating DI, then your Max eventually drops to zero, though it will take 28 days to do so. On the other hand, if you suddenly double your daily DI generation, then your Max will double over seven days.
HowardWdW
This still has some confusing elements to me. In fact its confusing enough I'm not sure I can generate relevant questions. But here goes:

The 500 DI each settlement starts with is I assume 500 of each of the 3 DIs is that right?

Eventually if you are generating enough daily DI the 500 becomes irrelevant because you will hit your maximum.

Holdings generate additional DI according to their type. Was this a recent addition, or did I just miss this before? I thought they generated equal amount of each of the 3 before someone pointed the figures out on the WIKI.

To take an example. Let's say a settlement controls 16 hexes. This generates (sq root 16) x 40 = 160 daily DI of all 3 types, correct? Or 4800 DI over 30 days. Let's also assume all the hexes are upgraded to +3 and the DI is once again evenly split (6 each per day per holding) = 16 x 6 = 96 daily or 2880 over 30 days. So now the settlement has 7680 of all 3 types which would be both its max after 30 days and if nothing was spent on buildings it's available. Is that correct? You could then add to this with infrastructure buildings.
Bob
HowardWdW
The 500 DI each settlement starts with is I assume 500 of each of the 3 DIs is that right?

Correct.

HowardWdW
Eventually if you are generating enough daily DI the 500 becomes irrelevant because you will hit your maximum.

Correct. The 500 in each Index is really just an amount to get you started. In fact, after 30 days, once your maximums are all based on your actual history of daily DI generation, the initial amount becomes largely irrelevant. We just set you up with a fake history initially that ensures you don't immediately lose that 500 unless you don't get to generating DI fairly soon.

HowardWdW
Holdings generate additional DI according to their type. Was this a recent addition, or did I just miss this before? I thought they generated equal amount of each of the 3 before someone pointed the figures out on the WIKI.

I'm not sure how explicit we were in public posts that different holdings affected different Indexes, but it's in the design docs and there's at least some mention on the forums by players that makes it sound like we brought it up somewhere, or at least implied it somewhere. However, the specific values in the WIKI weren't there before, so I added them back in December.

HowardWdW
To take an example. Let's say a settlement controls 16 hexes. This generates (sq root 16) x 40 = 160 daily DI of all 3 types, correct? Or 4800 DI over 30 days. Let's also assume all the hexes are upgraded to +3 and the DI is once again evenly split (6 each per day per holding) = 16 x 6 = 96 daily or 2880 over 30 days. So now the settlement has 7680 of all 3 types which would be both its max after 30 days and if nothing was spent on buildings it's available. Is that correct? You could then add to this with infrastructure buildings.

That is all correct.

Bob
FYI, I made a quick edit to the OP to make it a little more explicit that the abbreviation DI refers to a single unit of measurement stored in a Development Index. I try to always shorten Development Index down to Index, instead of abbreviating it to DI, since it's confusing to use DI both to refer to the points stored in an Index and to the Index itself. I wasn't 100% consistent on that in the original OP, should now be consistent throughout.
Bob
FYI, I edited the OP to make clear that the territory portion of DI generation is rounded to the nearest integer after multiplying the square root of the number of hexes controlled by 40.
Bob
Edited the OP to remove the reference to initializing the DI history based on current DI generation if that's higher than just total DI divided by 30. It didn't get implemented, and settlements will rise to their long-term max DI numbers after 7 days anyway. The initial lower maxes also won't block any of the incoming DI, since the maxes will rise faster than DI is coming in.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post