Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Structure/Settlement Upkeep

Bob
I'll be posting separate threads about Development Indexes, Structure Upgrades, Structure/Settlement Upkeep, and Taxation and Fees to go over our current thoughts on implementing these for EE 15. Here's what we're thinking about for Structure/Settlement Upkeep:

Settlement Level no longer limits the Trainer Levels in a settlement and the Facility Rating for the settlement’s structures. Those values are set by each structure's upgrade level. Settlement Level only sets the Support Level for all settlement members and the settlement's PvP window length.

Settlement Leaders can set a Target Settlement Level, and the settlement will pay one-half of the difference between the upkeep paid for its structures (bulk upkeep averaged across all bulk resources, coin upkeep tracked separately) and the minimum required for that Settlement Level (roughly doubled from current requirements to match with only paying one-half of the difference). Settlements can wind up higher than the target if the requirements for the structures alone put them above the target.

On Monday mornings, the settlement sums the upkeep requirements for all the settlement structures. If the basic upkeep requirements are already high enough to cover the Target Settlement Level, then it sets the Next Upkeep Settlement Level to the highest level already met. If not, it raises all the upkeep requirements by one-half of the difference to Target Settlement Level requirements and sets the Resulting Settlement Level to the Target Settlement Level. If there are enough resources in the Settlement Upkeep vault to pay that amount (including the 4-1 exchanges), then payment is made, any structures shut down for lack of upkeep are reactivated, and the Settlement Level is set to the Next Upkeep Settlement Level. If there aren’t enough resources, then payment isn’t made and the settlement is shut down, with a Settlement Level of 9.

If a settlement’s upkeep wasn’t paid, the settlement leaders can manually pay a pro-rated amount to re-activate the structures and get back their Settlement Level. They’ll first need to add more resources to the vault and/or adjust the current upkeep requirements (lower the settlement level, downgrade some structures).

Based on some rough production estimates and the upkeep numbers currently in the Public Spreadsheet, here's some potential settlements and how many hexes worth of bulk resources would be needed to maintain them:

• All +0 Structures (Settlement Level 10): 1 +0 hex
  • All +1 Structures (Settlement Level 12): 3 +0 hexes or 2 +1 hexes
  • All +2 Structures (Settlement Level 14): 4 +1 hexes or 3 +2 hexes
  • All +3 Structures (Settlement Level 16): 7 +2 hexes or 6 +3 hexes
  • All +4 Structures (Settlement Level 18): 11 +3 hexes or 10 +4 hexes
  • All +5 Structures (Settlement Level 20): 19 +4 hexes or 17 +5 hexes
  • All +5 Structures, including Support Structures (Settlement Level 20): 22 +4 hexes or 19 +5 hexes

These numbers assume about 80% efficiency on bulk resource production, so you may be able to do a little better if you control the right hexes. However, even at maximum efficiency there's not enough bulk available to support every player settlement at maximum, though there's enough for about 28 fully maxed-out settlements. That said, if alliances avoid too much overlap between settlement structures and make judicious use of Support Structures, it's possible there are enough bulk resources to go around so that every settlement has all the +5 structures it needs within a reasonable travel distance. Not necessarily likely, but possible.

Structure and Settlement Upkeep will also include a coin component, which will be adjusted upward as the player population and money supply increase.

Post your feedback here for discussion, and I'll make adjustments to this post with any changes that arise from discussion, or that turn up during implementation.

Update 1: The Settlement Level Upkeep difference was listed as one-third in one place and one-half in another. Fixed to correctly be one-half in both places.
Update 2: Added that bulk upkeep for structures is averaged across all bulk resources before being checked against upkeep for the target settlement level.
Update 3: Removed reference to emailing active settlement leaders when a settlement is shut down. This will require some extra consideration and wasn't able to be finished in time, but we'll be looking at it again after EE 15 is deployed.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
On Monday mornings, the settlement sums the upkeep requirements for all the settlement structures. If the basic upkeep requirements are already high enough to cover the Target Settlement Level, then it sets the Next Upkeep Settlement Level to the highest level already met. If not, it raises all the upkeep requirements by one-third of the difference to Target Settlement Level requirements and sets the Resulting Settlement Level to the Target Settlement Level. If there are enough resources in the Settlement Upkeep vault to pay that amount (including the 4-1 exchanges), then payment is made, any structures shut down for lack of upkeep are reactivated, and the Settlement Level is set to the Next Upkeep Settlement Level. If there aren’t enough resources, then payment isn’t made and the settlement is shut down, with a Settlement Level of 9. This also results in an email being sent to all active settlement leaders.

Just trying to grasp these things.

This means that I may set my Support level at 20 but if I only have… lets say a +3 Garrison then I will have to pay 1/3 the bulk and coin upkeep between a +3 Garrison and a +5 Garrison in addition to a +3 garrison, etc. for all other structures, to keep things working at support 20?
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Settlement Leaders can set a Target Settlement Level, and the settlement will pay one-half of the difference between the upkeep paid for its structures and the minimum required for that Settlement Level (roughly doubled from current requirements to match with only paying one-half of the difference). Settlements can wind up higher than the target if the requirements for the structures alone put them above the target.

Lets see if this is what I missed:

*I set my settlement at "Target 20"
*I have 15 structures in it that are all +3
*To stay at my target support level, I need to pay 1/2 the difference between upkeep for +3 buildings and +5 buildings in addition to upkeep for +3 buildings
*If that isn't in the vaults, the computer will try and find a lower "Support level" which I can pay for.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Bob
On Monday mornings, the settlement sums the upkeep requirements for all the settlement structures. If the basic upkeep requirements are already high enough to cover the Target Settlement Level, then it sets the Next Upkeep Settlement Level to the highest level already met. If not, it raises all the upkeep requirements by one-third of the difference to Target Settlement Level requirements and sets the Resulting Settlement Level to the Target Settlement Level. If there are enough resources in the Settlement Upkeep vault to pay that amount (including the 4-1 exchanges), then payment is made, any structures shut down for lack of upkeep are reactivated, and the Settlement Level is set to the Next Upkeep Settlement Level. If there aren’t enough resources, then payment isn’t made and the settlement is shut down, with a Settlement Level of 9. This also results in an email being sent to all active settlement leaders.

Just trying to grasp these things.

This means that I may set my Support level at 20 but if I only have… lets say a +3 Garrison then I will have to pay 1/3 the bulk and coin upkeep between a +3 Garrison and a +5 Garrison in addition to a +3 garrison, etc. for all other structures, to keep things working at support 20?

Thought I'd changed one-third to one-half throughout, but apparently missed a spot. That's now fixed.

The differential isn't so much about paying half of what some other structures/upgrades would cost you, as paying half of the difference between what your existing structures/upgrades already cost you and the listed upkeep amounts for your Target Settlement Level. It's probably easier to think about it using an example.

Say you just have a +3 garrison. That requires 64 wood, 64 food, 128 ore, 64 stone and 200 copper coin.

Also say you set your Target Settlement Level to 20. I still need to figure out the exact upkeep requirements for that, but they'll be roughly double the current settings, plus a coin cost. For the sake of this example, let's say that's 1500 wood, 1500 food, 1500 ore, 1500 stone, 1500 trade goods and 1500 copper coin.

So the difference between what you're already paying for the +3 garrison and your Target Settlement Level is 1436 wood, 1436 food, 1372 ore, 1436 stone, 1500 trade goods and 1300 copper coin. Half that is 718 wood, 718 food, 686 ore, 718 stone, 750 trade goods and 650 copper coin.

Add your structure costs back in and your total upkeep for the week is 782 wood, 782 food, 814 ore, 782 stone, 750 trade goods and 850 copper coin.
Flari-Merchant
Okay. There will be a certain upkeep cost for your "target settlement level" that is there regardless of whatever buildings you might have at whatever upgrades.

That is what I was missing. That is why you could "possibly" pay more total upkeep(with some buildings) than your "Target Level" normally will cost without any building costs.
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
*If that isn't in the vaults, the computer will try and find a lower "Support level" which I can pay for.

We won't actually try to lower your Target Settlement Level down to what you can afford. We'd originally planned to do all kinds of automated things where we'd reduce structure upgrades and shut down structures until we hit a number the settlement can afford, but ultimately decided that settlements are better off being allowed to change the settings themselves, then manually pay some pro-rated upkeep to reactivate their settlement as they want it.
Bob
Flari-Merchant
Okay. There will be a certain upkeep cost for your "target settlement level" that is there regardless of whatever buildings you might have at whatever upgrades.

That is what I was missing. That is why you could "possibly" pay more total upkeep(with some buildings) than your "Target Level" normally will cost without any building costs.

Exactly right.
Flari-Merchant
From your example, what is paid for the Garrison +3, will any or all go toward the total upkeep for "Target Level"?

Apologies if I am just being dense. smile
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
From your example, what is paid for the Garrison +3, will any or all go toward the total upkeep for "Target Level"?

In effect, half of what you pay for your structures goes toward paying for your Target Settlement Level.

Using the numbers from the previous example, if you had no buildings, then you'd pay 750 wood, 750 food, 750 ore, 750 stone, 750 trade goods and 750 copper coin to get Settlement Level 20 (the difference between zero and 1500 being 1500 for each thing, and you pay 750 as half that).

However, since you already have to pay 64 wood, 64 food, 128 ore, 64 stone and 200 copper coin for the +3 garrison, you get to reduce that by half those values, or 32 wood, 32 food, 64 ore, 32 stone and 100 copper coin.

End result: 718 wood, 718 food, 686 ore, 718 stone, 750 trade goods and 650 copper coin for Settlement Level 20, plus the 64 wood, 64 food, 128 ore, 64 stone and 200 copper coin for the +3 garrison, to total 782 wood, 782 food, 814 ore, 782 stone, 750 trade goods and 850 copper coin.
Flari-Merchant
Thanks! I THINK I'm done. smile
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post