Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Taxation and Fees

Stilachio Thrax
NightmareSr
What is the "OP" ?

In this context, Original Post.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Bringslite
I like the overall system. Not just for the AH fees but for crafting and upkeep. The sinks are set with a "flat tax" and there is a set range player operators can add to both help offset their own costs to operate and also to encourage other players to join or ally to enjoy better prices.

We are still supposed to want more players to join "our group" or at least "ally" to "our group" aren't we?

Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
We are still supposed to want more players to join "our group" or at least "ally" to "our group" aren't we?

Absolutely, though there should also be mechanics pushing ambitious/ideologically-opposed characters to coalesce into oppositional groups, which should also want to grow in size. If too many benefits accrue from large alliances, then we'll wind up with one huge alliance ruling the map and not enough incentive/ability for anyone to break away.
Bringslite
Bob
Bringslite

Absolutely, though there should also be mechanics pushing ambitious/ideologically-opposed characters to coalesce into oppositional groups, which should also want to grow in size. If too many benefits accrue from large alliances, then we'll wind up with one huge alliance ruling the map and not enough incentive/ability for anyone to break away.
Right! We do not want one Global State. That wouldn't be any fun at all for a sandbox.

We do not, I assume, expect Bandits to live with Paladins and be happy together. Like all things, these systems that you are forging need a healthy player population to work right…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
harneloot
Bob
Bringslite

Can anyone say Deities, alignment & factions?
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
NightmareSr
Stilachio Thrax
NightmareSr
What is the "OP" ?
In this context, Original Post.

Wow should have figured that out.
Looking at the edits, I didn't realize the range can be set from 0-100% wow that makes the default of 5% for NPC towns even lower than I first thought.

Bringslite
I like the overall system. Not just for the AH fees but for crafting and upkeep. The sinks are set with a "flat tax" and there is a set range player operators can add to both help offset their own costs to operate and also to encourage other players to join or ally to enjoy better prices.

I do agree that I like it but seems like TK AH is getting used more than any other AH and for that purpose I thought maybe the sales tax might be to blame. Maybe not, since it could be it's location or the culture/habit.
The training tax of NPC settlements has little impact cause they are capped. Crafting tax in NPC settlements don't seem to matter since most crafters just caft in their own settlements. Mule tax in NPC settlements doesn't seem to be a huge deal but maybe I am off base on this.
Now that I look at it though the Training and Mule taxes are at 10% of the max allowable for NPCs, but Sales tax is 5% of the maximum. It hink that should be raised to encourage people out of TK AH and give Player AHs a wider range to still be better than TK.
And yes we probably are suppose to want players to join us, but I am just a greedy little gatherer that has no interest in the settlement politics. smile
Although this all might just be a side effect of the low player population.
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Azure_Zero
I've started going through the settlement Taxes,

Training is just what the settlement sets.
The Auction house does have an additional +5% which I didn't know about as it is NOT mentioned in the Tax option form.
It should be as is Seen, so folks setting the taxes can see the taxes as is and if asked can give a correct answer.
Bob
Azure_Zero
The Auction house does have an additional +5% which I didn't know about as it is NOT mentioned in the Tax option form.
It should be as is Seen, so folks setting the taxes can see the taxes as is and if asked can give a correct answer.

That's a good point, it would be helpful to explain the additional 5% on the Settlement Taxes UI. I'll file a bug to look into that when we have a chance.

I don't think we can just show the total sales fee on that UI, since that could just lead to the opposite confusion of settlements thinking they're collecting the full amount for themselves, when the first 5% actually just disappears into the void. However, we can probably find a way to show what you're collecting for the settlement, an explanation of the additional 5%, and the total sales fee/tax that sellers will be charged.
NightmareSr
Bob
Azure_Zero

That's a good point, it would be helpful to explain the additional 5% on the Settlement Taxes UI. I'll file a bug to look into that when we have a chance.

I don't think we can just show the total sales fee on that UI, since that could just lead to the opposite confusion of settlements thinking they're collecting the full amount for themselves, when the first 5% actually just disappears into the void. However, we can probably find a way to show what you're collecting for the settlement, an explanation of the additional 5%, and the total sales fee/tax that sellers will be charged.
I have never seen the Settlement Taxes UI, now this makes way more sense why Leaders keep arguing with me over what the sales tax is. smile
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post