Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Finding Additional Revenue

Bob
From another thread, slightly re-ordered:

Giorgio
All of these subject's have to do with finding additional revenue for PFO so that more staff can be hired and the game can improve faster and add content that you want to add but cant (say, for lack of an art team). Id like to hear you thoughts on all three of this topics in a separate thread so we can have another conversation about this, all in once place (and so as to not derail this thread).

1- Multiple subscription models (# of PCs per account at different price points)

This is something we've always wanted to look into, but there are a fair amount of technical complications involved. We even considered including stuff like this in the Road Map, but it's always hard to decide whether this is the kind of thing that would move the needle now, or that is better delayed until the other features that made it into the Road Map are completed. In this case, we felt it was important to make the game feel more complete before looking into changes to the account model.

Giorgio
2- Backdating XP (to make up lost XP from lapsed subscriptions due to financial constraints and/or lack of uncertainty on the games future pre-road map)

This is another thing we've talked about, though it has larger balance implications and would require lots of discussion. I think there would be plenty of argument on both sides, but I suspect there'd probably be a balanced way to do something along these lines.

Giorgio
3- Cosmetic customization options (for settlements, companies and individuals)

There's probably some simple stuff we could do here, along the lines of offering more color combinations for armor and banners. However, even that would require some art help to fix issues where colorization isn't working right, and other customization options would require even more art help. These also were considered for the Road Map, but didn't quite make the cut.
Giorgio
Bob
From another thread, slightly re-ordered:

Giorgio
2- Backdating XP (to make up lost XP from lapsed subscriptions due to financial constraints and/or lack of uncertainty on the games future pre-road map)

This is another thing we've talked about, though it has larger balance implications and would require lots of discussion. I think there would be plenty of argument on both sides, but I suspect there'd probably be a balanced way to do something along these lines.

There are multiple threads on this, I wouldn't mind going threw the effort of making a list of them, summarizing them all and creating a new thread, and liking it here for reference. Its a lot of work, so I can do it… next week. smile

This is something I think will make a difference, so I will get to it as soon as I can (but not this week, as it is the first week of my new university semester).
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Stilachio Thrax
Bob, what about cosmetic slots? Something that isn't using new art, just different existing art. For instance, when my Unbreakable fighter was using General's Banded +2, the art used was the Ornate Steel Plate and it looked great and appropriate. When he upgrade to General's Banded +3, the art was something else entirely and looked nothing like the very appropriate Ornate Steel Plate look. I even joked with my settlement brethren about how embarrassed my character would be in that armor. A cosmetic slot that could set the armor to look like the Ornate Steel Plate would be a godsend. You could set those slots for armor, helmet and and back.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Giorgio
Bob
From another thread…

Bob, thank you for taking the time to clearly lay out GWs positions on these financial related topics, I greatly appreciate the effort and clarity! smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

Bob
Stilachio Thrax
Bob, what about cosmetic slots? Something that isn't using new art, just different existing art. For instance, when my Unbreakable fighter was using General's Banded +2, the art used was the Ornate Steel Plate and it looked great and appropriate. When he upgrade to General's Banded +3, the art was something else entirely and looked nothing like the very appropriate Ornate Steel Plate look. I even joked with my settlement brethren about how embarrassed my character would be in that armor. A cosmetic slot that could set the armor to look like the Ornate Steel Plate would be a godsend. You could set those slots for armor, helmet and and back.

I filed a bug to find a solution to that armor suddenly switching appearance at +3. I just need to make sure that any temporary fix I put in won't cause too much data confusion down the road.

The biggest issue with letting characters look like they're wearing one type of armor when they're really wearing another is that one of the ultimate purposes of visually upgrading armor is to give attackers some clue about how high-level a target is. If a character is wearing T3+3 armor, then you have some guess as to how tough that character is likely to be. Of course, we're currently undermining this because we have to reuse T2 armor visuals for most of the T3 armor, but the eventual goal was to have unique visuals for every upgrade of every armor. If we allow players to have the visual look of lesser armor while still having the technical advantages of better armor, then we'd need to rethink that and plan for other ways to give hints about how tough a player opponent might be. Those methods would likely be less intuitive or immersive than seeing what someone's wearing, but could be a worthwhile tradeoff.
Edam
Customisation is good. I will pay real money for an eye patch any day for example.

If you give new players the ability to pay cash and create an optimised "day one" character without all the sidetracking that took place as the game changed (archers that now craft etc) you are going to have to give existing players the ability to totally respec their builds or their will be a riot. This could open quite a can of worms. Its not as if gaining achievements is going to limit anyone that is part of an active group. Not only that the ability to respec would need to become a permanent option in the game.
Bob
Edam
If you give new players the ability to pay cash and create an optimised "day one" character without all the sidetracking that took place as the game changed (archers that now craft etc) you are going to have to give existing players the ability to totally respec their builds or their will be a riot. This could open quite a can of worms. Its not as if gaining achievements is going to limit anyone that is part of an active group. Not only that the ability to respec would need to become a permanent option in the game.

That is a distinct concern with backdating XP, and part of the reason why it would need so much discussion. Another option is for us to regulate the rate at which players can apply backdated XP, so that new players couldn't just catch up immediately. We could even limit things so that they can't catch all the way up. I'm pretty sure there's a balanced way to include backdated XP, but it will be tricky to get right.
Smitty
@ Edam

Disagree-

If they just put a hard cap on xp that can be purchased per character – what is the problem?

Can create a cap 2 ways that I can think of that wouldn’t affect my month 1 characters -

Option 1 hard cap 1 million xp- ( can do a ton on a single character with$1 million xp)

Option 2 - floating target of max xp based on total of a day 1 character - 25% - that way day one characters always have a 25% advantage… harder to keep up with but could sell more of them to same character
 Either option - sell packs of xp 10k , 50k 100k 250k 500k 1million.. character cant claim more than the cap …

Either of those things means little to a character that was around for the start of the game ( they would never catch up in xp )-
To the I would riot if this allowed crowd ….
We knew what we signed up for - even with the changes - and rebalancing …
Our biggest gain for dealing with all that…
Settlements- the way we got them was 1000% easier than what any new group will have to do to take one over..
You demand a respec/riot because XP is on sale to new then those new comers have every right to demand Goblin works rework the settlement takeover rules / land rush .. so they can claim one as easy as we had it in the past..

And this game needs players - the game needs new money - this would be a way to do that- it gives new comers a chance to be vested in the game - and not sitting around for 1.5 years before than can put plans into place —
This is something that needs to happen -
The only question I would have is when it should happen.. my guess would be after early enrolment is declared over- and they do a marketing push- to try to get more folks playing ..
Flari-Merchant
What a totally wonderful coin sink if players could respect once every 6 months or so but had to repay coin for training skills… smile

What a great revenue stream and way to silence the grumbling of new players if they thought that they could become relevant for buying XP in chunks or at an excelerated amount for $x.xx.

They really can't expect to be where a 2year player is without having bought the amount of xp that a 2 yr character has.

Look, time to face reality. This game needs life and revenue to be a real game. People need to see players when they log in to this game. This can be achieved with subscriptions or a FTP model that sells cosmetics or a FTP that sells cosmetics and PTW items or some combination. Try the less horrible options first…

So much of the game's problems are because there is not a large and healthy population.
Giorgio
I want to pay for XP I am missing on my active accounts for this months where I couldn't pay the $15 subscription fee due to financial difficulties.

If GW knows:
_ The day I first activated an account.
_ How much XP I should have accumulated from then until today, if I had paid the monthly fee every month.
- How much XP I actually have spent/accumulated, that I paid for.

Then it can take the max XP - actual XP = XP not accumulated/paid for, and give me an option to pay for that missing XP?

I will not be adding or gaining any additional XP above that what I would have earned if I could have paid my monthly subscription without any interruption.

No respect needed, no extra advantages, just want to pay for XP I couldn't pay for in the past, but now I have the income to do so now. Is this possible?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post