Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Finding Additional Revenue

Flari-Merchant
Giorgio
I want to pay for XP I am missing on my active accounts for this months where I couldn't pay the $15 subscription fee due to financial difficulties.

If GW knows:
_ The day I first activated an account.
_ How much XP I should have accumulated from then until today, if I had paid the monthly fee every month.
- How much XP I actually have spent/accumulated, that I paid for.

Then it can take the max XP - actual XP = XP not accumulated/paid for, and give me an option to pay for that missing XP?

I will not be adding or gaining any additional XP above that what I would have earned if I could have paid my monthly subscription without any interruption.

No respect needed, no extra advantages, just want to pay for XP I couldn't pay for in the past, but now I have the income to do so now. Is this possible?
Such a solution would not help NEW PLAYERS but only periodic on/off subscribers of which there are a limited number and so would be a limited revenue boost….
Zax
How about new players get to buy backdated xp, capped, like a year's worth, to help the whole "I feel relevant" issue, just not fond of the idea that this gives the existing players another "leg up" if they too can buy backdated xp, or maybe a more scaled xp buy for the existing player base but at a greater cost, otherwise the balance will continue to be out of whack.

As far as respec, there has to be penalties other than coin loss, otherwise meaningful choices are once again driven from the game.

And now…..the dreaded DT topic.

New players should be given the chance to DT their account for a cost. If the Day one players with DT's want their third toon earning, it should also cost, but more than a new player making their account a DT. Day One'ers are already promised things (yes they have not been delivered, yet) and have so many legs up an octopus would blush. Time for those people to grow up, not be so greedy and realize that this game needs new people more than it needs to satiate the existing elite. Give the game a chance to friggin' grow without draining it with personal, selfish needs.

All in all, not a real big fan of where this seems to be headed. Though the game needs revenue and new players, all topics here dangerously flirt with "pay to win" players and all that comes with them. Hopefully, GW can dance along the line without crossing too much to the dark side.
Flari-Merchant
I don't disagree, Zax. I do think that the whole thing should be kept as minimally confusing as possible though. IMO. smile
WxCougar of KOTC
I agree that folks should be able to pay for having multiple characters gaining xp at once. A DT from kickstarter could continue to be a perk by making it two for the price of one as I had always assumed it would be.
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Giorgio
Flari-Merchant
Such a solution would not help NEW PLAYERS but only periodic on/off subscribers of which there are a limited number and so would be a limited revenue boost….

It is not an either/or situation, this can be offered in addition to the various proposals aimed at new players.

Also, I think you are seriously discounting the amount of lapsed subscription/accounts that could potentially take advantage of this option if made available, especially day one/Kickstarter accounts, and inactive accounts. GW should have those numbers, and it would be better yet if GW had a system for buying/selling accounts in house, so they can make it legal, user friendly, safe, and more importantly profitable to them.
E
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
harneloot
I think making all new accounts DT accounts is an excellent idea. It would help new players feel like they are getting more for their money and give them added flexibility within the game. This also seems like it should be a fairly simple thing to set-up, rather than all this messy back-dating or buying of xp. I also agree (strongly) that WE, the current player base, do not need any more boosts or boons to our power curve (including buying back-dated xp) over new players beyond what we have already earned and paid for.

As to how to help new players feel relevant, well, not sure….how do other games do that? If I started playing Wow or Eve today (I have never played either btw) would the game do anything special for me to make me feel rapidly as powerful/relevant as someone who has been playing regularly for three years? Remember too, that the population right now is VERY small, so small that we will be in the vast minority once the ToT come in and get up to speed (and to T2) in about 60 days.
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Iram Thelbane
I think that Harneloot is right. Because as a new player that is playing for few month, i am not interested in all solutions discuss there, except turning account into DT ones…

For me, the real way to earn money for the game is to finish all developements that are planned and do perhaps more, in order to allow new players to have fun! If new players enjoy the game, they will subscribe for months!
One important thing will be to allow a huge number of new players to try the game when it will be finished, and then you will have ToT and more money…

Some other posts let me think that the Goblinworks team aggree with that.
Zax
Please remember that we are trying to tackle two very large problem areas seemingly with one overall solution, i.e. backdated xp and DT's for money and new player interest. I agree more with Iram about getting more content being the focus to attract new players and therefore more $.

Harneloot, I tried WoW a couple months ago on a co-workers suggestion. I did not attempt to join any existing players, was just checking out the game playing by myself. There are ways to start with a higher level toon, but the game has way more content. Same as with SWTOR. You can start with a higher level character but both of those games use the XP Grind methodology. And there is a bit of pay to win in both of those games. Not sure how that translates to PFO, just wanted to give some information.
Flari-Merchant
Giorgio
Flari-Merchant

It is not an either/or situation, this can be offered in addition to the various proposals aimed at new players.

Also, I think you are seriously discounting the amount of lapsed subscription/accounts that could potentially take advantage of this option if made available, especially day one/Kickstarter accounts, and inactive accounts. GW should have those numbers, and it would be better yet if GW had a system for buying/selling accounts in house, so they can make it legal, user friendly, safe, and more importantly profitable to them.
E

Considering that
#1: You are asking for specifically a monetary mechanic to catch up XP for players that had accounts from a "certain point" in the past and had to let them lapse… and just for those accounts,
#2. There probably are several thousand to 10,0000+ such accounts out there
#3. The game has improved but not enough to bring a significant amount of them back yet….

You are suggesting that there are MANY "out there" who would take advantage of such an offer. Game has been running for 3+ years. I have no idea, but let's assume that the average account would need 12 catch-up months. Would you pay $143.40+ tax RIGHT NOW for each account to catch it up? How about Day 1 accounts that had their "free year already? Would they pay $286.80+ tax for each of their accounts, RIGHT NOW to have their xp caught up? With the game as it is now? Need to be able to prove that such a narrow approach to the problem would actually pay off for the work of just one revenue mechanic.

All I am giving my opinion about is that it would be too limited an effort and too high risk. I am not begrudging that lapsed accounts should be offered a "catch-up" option. I just think that a more rounded, non multiple feature solution should be offered. Maybe a "Freemium" approach where subs earn excelerated XP.

As for respecs and "meaningful choices", that argument has less weight when you are dealing with a game that is evolving and your choices change their functions enough times that they no longer mean the same thing when you bought them or NEVER reached the stage/function that they were supposed/assumed they should to reach, i.e. GATHERING UPGRADES, SENECHAL, etc…
Smitty
I agree Zax selling xp is PTW – but would give GW $ - so am all for it –
I do like the other option ..
GW gives a high character level start option - ( new and returning sub) - other games have a start 1 character at high level option- for returning players - Star wars EQ etc .. SO That wouldn’t be viewed as PTW.. it is just something you get for having an active sub.
hand 1 million or 500k xp to a single character on an account ( make a rule no character can ever have more than what a month 1 character has.. hard cap on the XP number).

Would work well with DT idea -
extra money for the sub = character training slot -
3 training characters for old DTs - 2 for other accounts –
( only way this gives GW $ is by more subs extra DT slots on existing subs)
………

In regards to the view new people can help in T2 and they can do do stuff in T2 after 60 days -

sure - but what stuff ?
They don’t have settlements to take over ( we own all of them ), .. How high would a crafter have to be to actually make a siege engine / camp? rank 15 / 16 ? ( how much xp is that??)

So anyone that wants to play PFO as a group ..
finds out in 30 days they need to have help ..
or wait a year and half..
In order to actually take part in settlement warfare( one of the main goals of the game..).
This feels like an issue to me -
There needs to be a way for a group to be able to at least have the skills needed to compete with anyone on the map in way less time than a year.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post