Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Finding Additional Revenue

Flari-Merchant
Iram Thelbane
I think that Harneloot is right. Because as a new player that is playing for few month, i am not interested in all solutions discuss there, except turning account into DT ones…

For me, the real way to earn money for the game is to finish all developements that are planned and do perhaps more, in order to allow new players to have fun! If new players enjoy the game, they will subscribe for months!
One important thing will be to allow a huge number of new players to try the game when it will be finished, and then you will have ToT and more money…

Some other posts let me think that the Goblinworks team aggree with that.
I like your comment, Iram. The best solution is to make that game playable AND attractive(bang for buck) AND most important, more fun.
+1
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Flari-Merchant
Giorgio
Flari-Merchant
Such a solution would not help NEW PLAYERS but only periodic on/off subscribers of which there are a limited number and so would be a limited revenue boost….

It is not an either/or situation, this can be offered in addition to the various proposals aimed at new players.

Also, I think you are seriously discounting the amount of lapsed subscription/accounts that could potentially take advantage of this option if made available, especially day one/Kickstarter accounts, and inactive accounts. GW should have those numbers, and it would be better yet if GW had a system for buying/selling accounts in house, so they can make it legal, user friendly, safe, and more importantly profitable to them.
E
Edit: You know what though? If all of the objections about Pay-to-win, character power, and being able to use xp with unfair hindsight could be overcome, COULDN"T BACKDATED "xp-catchup" be done on a player by player basis without having to write code and spend GWinvest$$$ to make it happen?
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Giorgio
Flari-Merchant
Edit: You know what though? If all of the objections about Pay-to-win, character power, and being able to use xp with unfair hindsight could be overcome, COULDN"T BACKDATED "xp-catchup" be done on a player by player basis without having to write code and spend GWinvest$$$ to make it happen?

XP catch up on a player by player basis? That's a good question to ask Bob. smile

As for your previous post, the answer is yes I would gladly pay the amount you listed, or buy "blocks of XP" if offered at different price points, up to a set limit. More details later, say after 8 hours cause I really need to focus on my University classes right now… smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Bob
Giorgio
Flari-Merchant

XP catch up on a player by player basis? That's a good question to ask Bob. smile

If this were something that would only come up a few times, then maybe it could be handled player by player. However, I suspect there'd be enough demand for this over time that we'd be better off investing the time in an actual system for it. Assuming we decided to go down this road, I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to implement the kinds of restrictions that would likely be designed into it.
Zax
Flari-Merchant
As for respecs and "meaningful choices", that argument has less weight when you are dealing with a game that is evolving and your choices change their functions enough times that they no longer mean the same thing when you bought them or NEVER reached the stage/function that they were supposed/assumed they should to reach, i.e. GATHERING UPGRADES, SENECHAL, etc…

Then wipe and start over if respec becomes a viable option that GW wants to implement. GW will never appease all of the players with any decision they make if the players cannot let certain things go. I have mis-spent plenty of XP and would pay for backdated XP and DT'ifying my accounts (started a half year later than I wanted but life happens) but I have gone down the PTW road before and continue to support PFO because it does not favor those type of players. Just like the XP over time vs. The Grind, I support PFO because of XP over time.

DDO had a moment when they had changed certain spells or feats (I cannot remember which they changed exactly) and they allowed every player one Respec token. That game also allows for Reincarnations (a chance to redo your character with another play through and you gain past life benefits) All for a cost. I see no translation of that to PFO except maybe a one-time Respec token.

Meaningful choices are what should drive this game, be it social interaction, which group you join, what class you play, which escalations\resources you hunt and more and more of these choices are being eliminated by "fixes" like resource redistribution or a possible respec.

In summary of all my posts in this thread, I agree with Iram, more and better content will gain more players.

Backdated XP seems like an ugly, dirty mess and a lot of work for an already booked staff for not that much reward other than a little bit of $.

DT's seems like something to entice new players, Triple Toon accounts (all three toons earning XP at the same time) for money might be an option.

Respec with a one-time token might work. Making it part of the game seems wantonly wasteful.

Just my 2 cents
Bob
Giorgio
I want to pay for XP I am missing on my active accounts for this months where I couldn't pay the $15 subscription fee due to financial difficulties.

If GW knows:
_ The day I first activated an account.
_ How much XP I should have accumulated from then until today, if I had paid the monthly fee every month.
- How much XP I actually have spent/accumulated, that I paid for.

Then it can take the max XP - actual XP = XP not accumulated/paid for, and give me an option to pay for that missing XP?

I will not be adding or gaining any additional XP above that what I would have earned if I could have paid my monthly subscription without any interruption.

No respect needed, no extra advantages, just want to pay for XP I couldn't pay for in the past, but now I have the income to do so now. Is this possible?

There's probably a way to figure out for each character what their theoretic maximum XP would be if they'd stayed active ever since they were created, and then to let players add XP up to that maximum. However, it would probably be easier to just make one system that let anyone purchase XP within certain limits, and we would probably want any such general system to let new players who just created accounts catch up. It might not let you catch all the way up to where you could be if you'd stayed active from day 1, but it would probably let you eventually get close enough.
Giorgio
Bob
There's probably a way to figure out for each character what their theoretic maximum XP would be if they'd stayed active ever since they were created, and then to let players add XP up to that maximum. However, it would probably be easier to just make one system that let anyone purchase XP within certain limits, and we would probably want any such general system to let new players who just created accounts catch up. It might not let you catch all the way up to where you could be if you'd stayed active from day 1, but it would probably let you eventually get close enough.

That sounds reasonable, would it make sense to offer "blocks of XP" at different price points?

And would that be per account (regular or DT) or by character?

How would this work with my DT accounts since they gain the same XP?

Could my DT accounts with that third "1K XP" alt get access to that sweet, sweet, XP?

Can I add additional characters for $5 each , and also get XP?

And so forth the questions , and cries of PTW, and "make all accounts DT accounts" , and concerns for new players, and back dated XP, and catch up XP, and respect debate, and so many, many more related matters. Why do I have the feeling this thread might turn into a multi page affair before I get out of classes tonight. smile

Oh an for @BL: yes, i favor a holistic approach to all these topics that strikes a fair balance for GW, current players, new players and future players while keeping the goal of making PFO the game that many of us old timer KS backers hope it can be. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Bob
I think we're starting to get a little too deep into the details of what a backdated XP system might look like. A little detail is good, enough to see that there are promising ways to implement it that most of us could feel comfortable with. Before we spend more time designing it out, we need to see where it might fit as we reconsider the Road Map. Overall though, I think it's clear that there's a lot of interest in such a feature, and that at some point we'll want to take a more serious look at it.
Edam
I do not see the issue as particularly to do with "pay to win" as the game already allows the selling of accounts with unspent XP and settlement ownership. Any large group actually interested, with cash behind them, could easily buy up a couple of settlements and a batch of characters day 1 with optimal builds or backdated XP and dominate the game if they wanted.

For me the issue is more changing the game from one that currently rewards dedication and sticking with your settlement and characters to a more conventional "instant gratification model" based around pulling fast cash by churning players.

It is probably a personal quirk I have, but I prefer games that support long term commitment. When EVE introduced an XP purchasing system that saw within a few weeks people taking characters to max trained in all feats (previously 25 years training in EVE) I lost interest and unsubbed my 5 year old characters shortly after. I saw little point investing time and effort to achieve long-term goals that cashed up people could achieve instantly. Nor would it have been particularly fun or interesting to me to pay real cash (I have plenty) to instantly leap forward to where I envisaged the characters being longterm.

Which is not to say turning the game into a more conventional churn game that lets you do stuff like pay to respec whenever a new PvP combat Doctrine becomes a thing, or maybe unsub your characters for a year then pay to catch up when your settlement batphones to say "we are doing a big PvP push to take out those nast xxx guys and need everyone back online" etc may not be good for the game financially and numbers wise. Its just not personally going to be my sort of game.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

The thread was titled "Finding Additional Revenue". There was other talk about small easy cosmetic things that could possibly be done by your small team, such as color schemes for buildings-companies-characters.

Do you have the ability to alter buildings with alternate "skins" or is that sort of thing out of reach without "artists"?

How many hexes do actual separate servers control on the "network"? Any idea how much it would cost to pay an "artist" to spruce up a n individual hex? Could an "Adopta hex" system work at all and be funded by players?
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post