Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Frozen Attacks

Bob
Over the last few months, we've had occasional reports of players finding their attacks temporarily frozen until they switched weapons or exited combat. I've tried off and on to replicate the issue without success, but finally managed to do so today. It happens when a character has either one or zero pieces of ammo loaded and tries to attack a target that's outside either Line of Sight or Range. If the character then switches targets before the attack goes off (which would happen when the original target comes into LoS and Range), then the character is stuck thinking that a reload is needed. Switching weapons or exiting combat kicks things loose again, allowing you to start attacking again.

Now that we've figured out the cause of the issue, it should be pretty easy to fix. We'll try to get that into the next build. Meanwhile, if this is happening to you regularly, your best bet is to carry enough ammo to avoid constant reloads (makeshift ammo means reloading after every attack), to try to avoid attacking out-of-range/out-of-sight targets unless you're going to leave the attack queued up until back in range/sight, and to be prepared to switch weapons as soon as you notice your attacks failing to go off.
harneloot
Thanks, this has been a big bug-a-boo for me since ammo came in. Just a FYI note: I always carry PLENTY of ammo and this seems to happen to me several times an evening anyway.
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Bob
harneloot
Thanks, this has been a big bug-a-boo for me since ammo came in. Just a FYI note: I always carry PLENTY of ammo and this seems to happen to me several times an evening anyway.

Carrying lots of ammo makes it so that it can only happen on the last piece of ammo from each reload, so it's probably making it happen less often for you than it would otherwise, but it definitely doesn't eliminate the problem. You might be able to reduce it further by generally trying to get targets back into line of sight and range so that the attack actually goes off, instead of switching targets. That's obviously not always possible, and isn't necessarily the best instinct to operate on most of the time, but it might help for now.
Iram Thelbane
Thanks Bob, good news!
Maxen
Thanks Bob. I expect that's exactly what was happening to my cleric. At the time, he didn't have a steady supply of crafted ammo and was just getting by with salvage and makeshift. Now that you've defined it, running out of salvage often was triggering that condition quite a bit on him. Thanks again for your hard work tracking this down.
Edam
The main problem I have seems to be a variant of this, a long delay when switching weapons or in some cases the inability to switch at all.

Usually this happened to me when surrounded by mobs and switching to the focus to heal. Generally the weapons would not switch and instead of healing I would fire off more melee attacks which in the case of ninjas often led shortly thereafter to death. I am not sure if it is related.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post