Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Demotion of unsubscribed characters

Azure_Zero
Bob
Azure_Zero
I think this part should be an exemption from the rule, and be account based, not character based.
As a inactive character does not have any of the main benefits of being active, and doing account based stops some possible headaches.

The only real headache involved is that the character has to be activated for a month to file the leadership challenge, and this fortunately isn't a very common occurrence. I think I've only been asked to help out with similar situations a few times over the last few years. I'm also generally willing to be fairly helpful in terms of just helping players get in touch with other players in these cases, particularly when it feels like the game didn't do enough to discourage characters from getting into these situations.

Speaking of which, I was testing this all out a bit just to see what we do to prevent this kind of situation. The last leader is in fact blocked from leaving the company, though not if they're the last member of the company. Of course, they're not blocked from leaving at all if there are technically other leaders, but they're not actively playing, which can effectively leave the company leaderless. I think adding some confirmation dialogs and/or adding some hoops to the process (like requiring leaders to demote themselves first before leaving the company) would help a lot here. I've filed a bug report to look into possible improvements.

Alright Bob, I'll give a scenario as to why you'll need to do this on an account base over a character base.
Say someone has X accounts, so 3X in characters and has say (1.5+)X in companies,
but is only subbing for X or less in characters and has 1 character hopping around to keep those companies useful and manage them.
Being account based you just sank about X companies into uselessness, and can't be helped cause a character can't hop around without being locked into a company.
While if the inactivity checks based on account rather then character, All companies can be in a useful state and accessible, but now it would require that they do keep all accounts active to do so and could be counted as a bit of a compromise.
malmuerta
Azure_Zero
I think this part should be an exemption from the rule, and be account based, not character based.
As a inactive character does not have any of the main benefits of being active, and doing account based stops some possible headaches.

… so and could be counted as a bit of a compromise.

And Elsa belts out a song: "Let it go, let it go, let it go…"
Bob
Azure_Zero
Alright Bob, I'll give a scenario as to why you'll need to do this on an account base over a character base.
Say someone has X accounts, so 3X in characters and has say (1.5+)X in companies,
but is only subbing for X or less in characters and has 1 character hopping around to keep those companies useful and manage them.
Being account based you just sank about X companies into uselessness, and can't be helped cause a character can't hop around without being locked into a company.
While if the inactivity checks based on account rather then character, All companies can be in a useful state and accessible, but now it would require that they do keep all accounts active to do so and could be counted as a bit of a compromise.

You can actually do all of that without any active characters, not that the mercenary side of me would recommend it. You just need to make sure at least one of the characters remaining in each company is a leader to keep letting you back in. My recommendation would be to have at least one perpetual leader in each company, and at least one perpetual non-leader, regardless of activity status. This will help keep you from accidentally taking the last member out of the company while the jumping character isn't there, and will always leave at least one leader in place to let the jumping character back in. Just make sure not to delete these characters, since that bypasses a lot of the safety measures.

I'd also recommend using leadership challenges to clear out all the leaders that aren't under your control. Otherwise, there's still a small risk that you might jump the last of your leaders out of the company. That might take a little longer if you don't have an active character for each company, but you can still tackle one company at a time with each of your active characters.
Maxen
And let’s keep in mind that these rules and mechanics need to be written for a population of way more than however many we have now. The lead company of a settlement in a well populated game *should* never run into this problem. At issue right now is that a small player population with a limited number of characters is trying to run the world. The fact is that we are simply spread too thin to effectively operate the game as we want to.
NightmareSr
Maxen
And let’s keep in mind that these rules and mechanics need to be written for a population of way more than however many we have now. The lead company of a settlement in a well populated game *should* never run into this problem. At issue right now is that a small player population with a limited number of characters is trying to run the world. The fact is that we are simply spread too thin to effectively operate the game as we want to.
To that end should there be more discussions in here about ideas to grow the population? Not sure I have any great ideas but maybe someone else does?
- Wandering gatherer (NightmareSr#2669 on discord)
Paddy Fitzpatrick
You know guys, you may wanna leave some room for us old folks to come back later smile

Especially true when they hear that maybe others may come back and the pricing model has changed drastically.

*sigh*

Kids these days…
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Maxen
Paddy Fitzpatrick
You know guys, you may wanna leave some room for us old folks to come back later smile

Especially true when they hear that maybe others may come back and the pricing model has changed drastically.

*sigh*

Kids these days…

Would love to see that happen (and even create a little PvP conflict to regain settlements that were lost.)

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post