Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

"Find Your Path" Quest

Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

I am curious about some of the mini quests. How likely are the required "kill this mob"'s likely to spawn when that hex's escalation is down? Would there be any way to add in "either, or" requirements, as you have done with other mini quests from the main Super Quest?

Thank You smile
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
I am curious about some of the mini quests. How likely are the required "kill this mob"'s likely to spawn when that hex's escalation is down? Would there be any way to add in "either, or" requirements, as you have done with other mini quests from the main Super Quest?

I tried to pick mobs that appeared in standard encounters during every phase of the escalation as well as during the fallow time in home hexes between escalations. That said, a lot of systems work together to actually spawn a specific mob, and sometimes it's hard to tell exactly how likely a particular mob is to appear, so some could certainly be more or less likely to appear at certain times. If you notice any in particular that seem harder to find, let me know and I'll look at them in more detail.

And yes, it is possible to do either/or requirements, or I could make some minor adjustments to make the required mob more likely to appear. Just have to see what the best solution would be in each case.
Flari-Merchant
Ok. I'll get back after I have done a few complete runs. Thanks. smile
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bringslite
Well I have done the "Finding Your Path" quest twice now. On the issue that I brought up (I'm Flari), I have to say that the only unpleasant part of the quest is the "Kill 5 Skeletal Wizards" task. Simply put it is damn hard to find ANY if the esc is in recycle and chancy even during an esc. I think that you halved the amount needed already? 10 kills would be fine if they spawned more often or even if they spawned more in the surrounding hexes. That would help lessen frustration. After all, "questers" have just had to run a great deal to get to it…

If I had any grumbles they would be: It's a hell of a long process and much running. I wish that you had the ability to lay the text out in a more attractive "look" to get more peeps to read it.

BUT I did find the stories, anecdotes, lore and info to be helpful as well as entertaining. The challenges were not beyond the skills that you should have by the time you are tackling them and the end reward is not a bad one. Though a "random stone" reward is a little disappointing, that is what trading is for.

Over All; I have changed my opinion. "Finding Your Path", though incredibly long and a "Hell Run" is a pretty good shot at a Newby intro if we consider the tools you have to work with…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
One further thought that I had almost forgotten: When you are sending the player to a "Player run Settlement" with the idea to train one or more skills and get next destination, isn't that kind of a roll of the dice for that player? A player settlement could be closed to them through lists, "shut down" or simply not have the buildings that offer the training.

Questers already have enough running to do don't they? Might be better, for "training tasks" to always send them to an NPC Sett. Or maybe "instruct" to ask in Gen Chat to be sure there is a nearby Sett with the buildings they need?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
I filed a bug to look into the Skeletal Wizards. The lowered requirement was actually just me fixing the text to say Kill 10, since the coding said to Kill 5, but clearly when it was written I knew there wouldn't be a lot of them around, and it wouldn't be too surprising for more to be needed during the fallow time.

Glad the quest worked for you overall and was reasonably entertaining, especially given that we could only make minor tweaks to the quest system while developing it. We do hope to improve on it as we get better tools, but this should give new players a pretty thorough introduction until then.
Bob
Bringslite
One further thought that I had almost forgotten: When you are sending the player to a "Player run Settlement" with the idea to train one or more skills and get next destination, isn't that kind of a roll of the dice for that player? A player settlement could be closed to them through lists, "shut down" or simply not have the buildings that offer the training.

Questers already have enough running to do don't they? Might be better, for "training tasks" to always send them to an NPC Sett. Or maybe "instruct" to ask in Gen Chat to be sure there is a nearby Sett with the buildings they need?

I tried to only send questers to player settlements when those feat ranks aren't available at NPC settlements. Ideally we'd have some in-game ways for players to see which player settlements would work for them, but for now giving them some advice on finding one is a good idea. I'll file a bug report to look into that.
Giorgio
@Flari

Thanks for running the beginner's quest for us old timers who haven't done any in over 2 years, it is good read that the system keeps improving. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
harneloot
I spent 3+ hours over two days this weekend trying to find *magic using skeletons* in the Skeletal Uprising Home hex where the Finding Your Path quests sends you. I tried both simply running through every group on the map to see which ones attacked with spells (which didn't work - there was only a single skeletal caster in the whole hex) as well as killing every skeleton I came across. I finally found and killed 5, but not until I would have become very frustrated as a new player. Maybe 3 would be a better number since they seems so rare?
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Edam
harneloot
I spent 3+ hours over two days this weekend trying to find *magic using skeletons* in the Skeletal Uprising Home hex where the Finding Your Path quests sends you. I tried both simply running through every group on the map to see which ones attacked with spells (which didn't work - there was only a single skeletal caster in the whole hex) as well as killing every skeleton I came across. I finally found and killed 5, but not until I would have become very frustrated as a new player. Maybe 3 would be a better number since they seems so rare?

My hunch is the skeletal mages only appear when the home hex escalation has dropped in percentage. Problem being, that is a very good hex for running gushers and people keep killing off the home hex boss to reset the escalation thereby making running gushers easier smile

Overall, the main complaint i have heard concerns the continual running home to TK to hand in the quest and get the new quest. Something easily solved. Simply have the initial quest giver send you to talk to someone in a nearby town who gives you the local quest and when you report back to them sends you to the next location.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post