Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE 15 Status

Bob
We're making lots of progress toward EE 15, but it's proving more complicated and less predictable than we'd hoped. I'm starting this thread to keep you all updated on our progress, and to explain a little bit about the process we'll be going through while getting EE 15 ready to deploy.

A few weeks ago, we finished up all the known, planned work for EE 15 and began testing the work done so far. That testing is done on our local machines, running simplified servers on the same machine as the client, with generally only one hex running at a time. At that stage, we're looking primarily to see if updates are operating as expected, and if there are any big chunks of work remaining that we hadn't originally realized would be needed. Because EE 15 was dependent on a lot of untested assets, and on a lot of existing code features that hadn't yet been tried out with structure upgrades active, we weren't sure exactly what we'd find. Unfortunately, we found more problems than anticipated, but we should have all of those issues closed up within a week or so.

At that point, we'll be ready to move on to the next stage, where we start making full builds and running them on our internal server. That server runs a fairly small chunk of the world, about 63 hexes near Thornkeep, and makes it a lot easier for us to test out multiplayer scenarios, or issues where companies need to hold multiple hexes, like when we want to test out different DI scenarios. At that point, we're usually looking for more obscure bugs, or things that feel like they need more polish. We anticipate that we'll spend a week or so testing on the internal server, with any changes getting a quick local test before being re-deployed to the internal server. Again, EE 15 has been very unpredictable, so there's a good chance it will take longer there than hoped.

Once we're satisfied that the build is ready to be seen by everyone, we'll move it up to Zog, our official test server. We generally try to avoid going to Zog until we have what we consider to be a Release Candidate, meaning a build that doesn't have any known issues serious enough to prevent it from going to Live. However, sometimes we'll put something a little rougher up if we really want to get more feedback upfront, and we may do that in this case. Many of our updates only need to spend a few days up on Zog, though we usually assume that big updates will 1-2 iterations as new issues are uncovered. Each of those iterations gets tested both locally and on the internal servers before being re-deployed to Zog. Depending on how tricky the issues are, builds may go up the day after an issue is found, or several days later, particularly if multiple issues come up. In the case of EE 15, given how complicated the update is, there may very well be more iterations than usual, or the issues may require longer periods between builds if particularly tricky issues are found.

We usually try to leave the last Zog build up through at least one Daily Maintenance, no matter how small the changes are between that and the previous build. Overall, I'd anticipate another week or so on Zog, but we'll generally know within a couple days of the first Zog deployment whether we're just looking at a few quick issues to track down or at deeper issues that will require multiple large iterations.

I'll keep updating this thread every 2-3 days to let you all know how things are progressing, and feel free to ask questions along the way.

On a related note, I've contacted all the settlement owners at this point about distributing any remaining structure kits. If you think you should have been contacted but haven't heard from me yet, send email to customer.support@goblinworks.com and we'll get things sorted out. You'll definitely want at least your Keep Structure Kit +0 ready to place on the first day of EE 15. I'd also recommend grabbing whatever territory you need and upgrading your holdings before the first day so that you can maximize your initial DI and get the DI you need to upgrade your structures as quickly as possible.
Maxen
Bob,

Isn't the +0 Keep already in place? Several of us thought that we would be receiving the +1 Keep. Has that changed? Thanks for clarifying.

Maxen
Maxen
P.S. Thanks for the update. smile
Flari-Merchant
Thanks for the update, Bob.
Bob
Maxen
Isn't the +0 Keep already in place? Several of us thought that we would be receiving the +1 Keep. Has that changed? Thanks for clarifying.

The Keeps currently in all the player settlements are effectively +0 Keeps, but they're static (like the Bank or Tavern) and therefore can't be upgraded. In switching them to dynamic structures, we have to replace the static Keeps with a slot for placing a Keep. We could have done a bunch of extra coding work to automatically place each settlement's initial dynamic +0 Keep, but that would have been quite a bit of work that would only have been useful this one time. Instead, since I'm already handing structure kits out to nearly all the settlements anyway, it was easier to just give everyone a Keep Structure Kit +0 as part of that distribution. All settlements that got the standard structure kit distribution for EE 11 will also get a Keep Structure Kit +1 as part of this follow-up distribution. Those that didn't get the EE 11 distribution won't get a +1 Keep for free, but they will get the +0 for free to replace their current static Keep.
Flari-Merchant
Hey Bob,

So you think that Bulk costs will roughly be 2x what they are now. I doubt that you plan such for DI but what about coin upkeep? Will that be 2x what is listed in the wiki?

Thanks
Bob
Flari-Merchant
So you think that Bulk costs will roughly be 2x what they are now. I doubt that you plan such for DI but what about coin upkeep? Will that be 2x what is listed in the wiki?/quote]

The Bulk/Coin/DI costs listed in the wiki for the individual structure upgrades should all be accurate now. I've got what I hope are final numbers for the settlement level upkeep, which are as you say roughly 2x the current numbers for settlement level upkeep (more than double at the low end, less than double at the high end). However, since you only pay half the difference between what you're already paying for structures and what you need to pay for your targeted settlement level, that essentially means that an empty settlement can get support bulk upkeep roughly similar to what's currently being paid.

For coin, if memory serves, I think it's around 1 SP per week for level 9, ramping up to around 24 SP per week for level 20. Again, you'd only pay half that if you skipped the structures and just paid for the support. I'm pretty sure those numbers are close, but don't quote me on them quite yet. I've left myself a reminder to post them on Monday morning when I get back into the office.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Flari-Merchant
So you think that Bulk costs will roughly be 2x what they are now. I doubt that you plan such for DI but what about coin upkeep? Will that be 2x what is listed in the wiki?/quote]

The Bulk/Coin/DI costs listed in the wiki for the individual structure upgrades should all be accurate now. I've got what I hope are final numbers for the settlement level upkeep, which are as you say roughly 2x the current numbers for settlement level upkeep (more than double at the low end, less than double at the high end). However, since you only pay half the difference between what you're already paying for structures and what you need to pay for your targeted settlement level, that essentially means that an empty settlement can get support bulk upkeep roughly similar to what's currently being paid.

For coin, if memory serves, I think it's around 1 SP per week for level 9, ramping up to around 24 SP per week for level 20. Again, you'd only pay half that if you skipped the structures and just paid for the support. I'm pretty sure those numbers are close, but don't quote me on them quite yet. I've left myself a reminder to post them on Monday morning when I get back into the office.

When you have a wee bit of free time, could you show what a specialty settlement that wanted lvl20, a keep and a large building would cost? I hate to be a pest but I still don't feel confident I grasp every thing.
WxCougar of KOTC
Bob, are the numbers for the support level 20 based on 1500 bulk per bulk good type? I was originally calculating based on what our own settlement would cost at training level 20.

Using that assumption, I can take a crack at your question Flari:

Fictional town wants a Keep +0 and a University +0 with Support level 20.

Keep +0 will cost in upkeep = 1 food, 1 ore, 2 stone and 1 wood.
University +0 will cost in upkeep = 1 food, 1 ore, 2 stone and 1 trade.
Total = 2 food, 2 ore, 4 stone, 1 wood, 1 trade

Support level 20 would take the 1500 food, 1500 ore, 1500 stone, 1500 wood, 1500 trade and subtract out the current cost = 1498 food, 1498 ore, 1496 stone, 1499 wood, 1499 trade.

Then you divide that by 2 = 749 food, 749 ore, 748 stone, 750 wood (round up), 750 trade (round up).

Then you add in the cost of the upkeep of Keep +0 and University +0 to equal your total upkeep of your town and support level 20 = 751 food, 751 ore, 752 stone, 751 wood, 751 trade.

[Coin would use the same math but I'm still not fully sure what the support level 20 coin is exactly, unless I use 24 silver from Bob's example. I think for my own settlement I used 25 silver.]

DI structures upkeep cost would then be added afterward if your town will have them I believe.
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Edam
I am curious as to why you would want a Level 20 support town with a +0 Keep and single +0 large building.

A town with a +5 keep and single +5 building to provide training not available elsewhere makes some limited sense (though you are investing a lot into a +5 keep to support just one other +5 building) but why level 20 support in that case?

Or is this all just a hypothetical scenario to get a better understanding of the math?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post