Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Evolution of Premium Items - the Hideout and the Lodge

Harad Navar
This may be jumping ahead to EE16, but I think that with the inclusion of social companies some new premium items may be warranted.

Hideout
With the approach of settlement warfare and more PvP, I would like to see a structure that can be used by companies, rather than individuals or parties, for covert surveillance. My proposal would be to provide a modified base camp that accepted companies rather than individuates/parties with essentially a stealth skill rating by being invisible on the maps (as are shrines).

I think this would have value in several ways:
1) It could be a forward base for scouting the intended target for attack.
2) It would serve as a forward storehouse for equipment for a siege/attack.
3) It would add some surprises when wandering to suddenly come upon something new on the map.
4) With a short duration like the base camp (limiting its power to a reasonable level) the hideout would be of a real asset during a feud or the beginning/subset of a siege.
5) It could be an incentive for new players who want organized play without having to initially join a settlement as they build to 9th level. This could be very appealing to new players who are unsure of dealing with the established (old and powerful) players who have been here such a long, long time and control the settlements. In particular, this could be seen/promoted as a way for pseudo-factions to be viable in game before a game structure for factions is formally deployed.

Lodge
In the same vane as 5) above, a pseudo-faction might need a more permanent base of operations to be viable in game (imo). If players get their training and support from settlement based companies, and if social companies are not settlement based, factions are essentially pan-settlement. Therefore, establishing a faction smallholding in a settlement may be counter-indicated.

A Lodge would be a smallholding that is accessed by a social company (pseudo-faction) rather than an individual or that individual's party. This would give a pseudo-faction a legitimacy in game when faction mechanics are not in game. I think that a lot of people who are not in game as yet but are dedicated to organized faction play (as in the Pathfinder Society) would find this a strong draw to join the game.

Just some thoughts.

"Ah, the crystal balls. The left one is the sun and the right one is the moon. Put what you want between them and your future will unfold." - We're All Bozos on this Bus - the Firesign Theater
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Giorgio
+1

Looking forward to more conversation on ideas like this, of making companies more useful, and actually developing social tools and factions based systems.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Fiery wind
There's definitely more room for p2w - I mean, more cash shop items. One thing I'm not sure has been discussed, but maybe race changes? I'm sure there's people who regret the race they chose, but have millions of xp invested, and would be willing to pay for a change. Not to mention when new races come out in the far future.
Tyncale
It was in the plans to allow a race change at some point, because GW realized so many Races were to follow later, and people had to make do with the 3 we have now. I do not think this has a priority now, but I expect them to come back to this once the game goes into open release/gets more success/more revenue. This is what I recall, Bob may correct/confirm/add to this. smile

As far as Race change as a permanent Store item goes: in my experience, such a change is never, or hardly ever offered in the Store of a MMO, whereas name-changes, Class-changes, Gender changes, Skill-Respecs, Reputation-respecs and Cosmetic do-overs are pretty much always offered. I think a Race Change is just asking too much of the Suspension of Disbelief of both players and devs. smile Lets face it, even a Gender change is more realistic then a Race change. Also in many cases, the Race choice brings certain perks/restrictions/faction-issues with it so that straightening that out may be too much of a hassle. I am sure this is a reason for Everquest, where Racial Factions are a big thing and has an influence on gameplay and access to content in the world.

I mean it is all correctable but still.

To be sure, I am big fan of player-choices so I think it should be considered. You could argue that a Faction change in PFO should be a lot harder, since Factions will be ingrained in so many other systems in the game, like skills and such. Not sure if there are purely Racial Factions that tie into certain skills, I am not enough Pathfinder buff for that.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Bob
Tyncale
It was in the plans to allow a race change at some point, because GW realized so many Races were to follow later, and people had to make do with the 3 we have now. I do not think this has a priority now, but I expect them to come back to this once the game goes into open release/gets more success/more revenue. This is what I recall, Bob may correct/confirm/add to this. smile

Pretty much. I believe one of the ideas thrown around was to allow one-time changes to new races, on the principle that the new race was what you really wanted to be but hadn't been available when you made your initial choice. For example, you could switch a character from dwarf to gnome if you created your character before gnomes became available, but you couldn't switch from dwarf to elf because elves were available when you made the original choice. However, you couldn't switch to gnome when those become available and then to halfling when those become available.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Tyncale

Pretty much. I believe one of the ideas thrown around was to allow one-time changes to new races, on the principle that the new race was what you really wanted to be but hadn't been available when you made your initial choice. For example, you could switch a character from dwarf to gnome if you created your character before gnomes became available, but you couldn't switch from dwarf to elf because elves were available when you made the original choice. However, you couldn't switch to gnome when those become available and then to halfling when those become available.
That is what I remember.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Edam
You could always make it a reincarnate with a random roll on the race table and a chance of becoming a nonplayable race resulting in a character you cannot log in … and having to keep buying more reincarnates until you eventually roll up something that is actually available as a player character in game (which if your luck is out may be your original race).

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post