Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Holding Taxes

Bob
Giorgio
This idea has merit, but I feel like it tyes to a bigger pictures of companies being not very useful in general (there is no real incentive to stay in a company and not "hop around", except for Feud and Warfare requirements) as everything seems to be geared to "settlement" level systems.

Agreed, and we do plan on revisiting those systems to bring back more advantages to joining and staying with a company. The original plan based Max Influence on company size, with some vague thoughts about eventual ways to discourage company hopping. When we get a chance to look at bringing back some form of the Max Influence system again, we'll certainly talk a bit about how changes to that affect those design goals, and possible other ways to make companies more useful.
Flari-Merchant
Its just low population and out of proportion upkeep requirements (for the low population) in all from building to support to war and to just existing. There are not enough players available in any one company to fill all those needs at the moment. We hop to fill those spots for short times to make those costs/body numbers.

Ideally, we shouldn't have to…
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Flari-Merchant
I have a question and then I will fall silent on this subject as well as the other that I promised to stop posting in.

Have any of the Dev team tried the life (in this game) of playing The Merchant? The cycle of gathering and refining and crafting, to sell, or trying to fill some of those aspects of the cycle with AH purchasing? I doubt that you have because it is very time consuming and you have none to spare.

If you have, you would immediately understand that it is not easy nor does it really feel rewarding at this point for the effort. Creating an atmosphere with hundreds of more places to have to travel to will not improve things.

If I am right and you have not tried this for a decently lengthy period, why will you not give serious consideration to those who do play that type in THIS GAME? Forget other games with larger populations. These proposal may be fine for games with large pops. Just not here and now.

Look at the feed back in the "For Lack of an AH" thread. These days, how often do you get that much negative feedback across all spectrums of player groups? Implementing Holding selling will just be a terrible idea on top of AHs for all. I am not saying that the whole game will immediately collapse. I am saying that it will damage the economic play of the game and make it less than it could be. It is counter intuitive to AHs being important. It is counter intuitive to Premium Player Housing and I don't even own one.

Now I am done here too.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
I have a question and then I will fall silent on this subject as well as the other that I promised to stop posting in.

Have any of the Dev team tried the life (in this game) of playing The Merchant? The cycle of gathering and refining and crafting, to sell, or trying to fill some of those aspects of the cycle with AH purchasing? I doubt that you have because it is very time consuming and you have none to spare.

If you have, you would immediately understand that it is not easy nor does it really feel rewarding at this point for the effort. Creating an atmosphere with hundreds of more places to have to travel to will not improve things.

If I am right and you have not tried this for a decently lengthy period, why will you not give serious consideration to those who do play that type in THIS GAME? Forget other games with larger populations. These proposal may be fine for games with large pops. Just not here and now.

Look at the feed back in the "For Lack of an AH" thread. These days, how often do you get that much negative feedback across all spectrums of player groups? Implementing Holding selling will just be a terrible idea on top of AHs for all. I am not saying that the whole game will immediately collapse. I am saying that it will damage the economic play of the game and make it less than it could be. It is counter intuitive to AHs being important. It is counter intuitive to Premium Player Housing and I don't even own one.

Now I am done here too.

Lisa does a lot of this, and I've toyed with it from time to time. As you say though, it's a time-consuming endeavor, so there's a limit to how much time any of us can spend playing that way while dabbling in other playstyles as well. Of course, that's why we asked for feedback, to supplement our own experiences.

As for sales at holdings, I doubt we'll get to that anytime soon unless we become convinced that's a great short-term idea (clearly the feedback so far doesn't agree with this), and we'll certainly put some thought into whether there are other auction improvements we should implement before doing so.
Lisa Stevens
Flari-Merchant

As Bob said, since the very beginning of the game, I have made it a mission of the Bloodstone Swords to stock the Thornkeep Auction House with a very wide variety of T1 and T2 crafted goods. I currently sell 95% or so of the available crafted goods there. The exceptions being ammo (Maker seems to be covering this aspect) and harvesting kits, and T2 spell books. I believe I cover everything else, though it could be out of stock for up to a month as I gather, refine and craft replacements.

I agree that it is hard and time consuming. I am currently out of iron ore, coal, pine, wool, lodestone, and a few other things trying to keep up with demand. But I actually find it highly rewarding to have this as a goal and it has kept me actively engaged in the game since the beginning. Sure, I wish I could buy more mats and not have to just gather them, but that will come with time once all the settlements are built up.

To date, I have sold well over 1 platinum's worth of stuff in the Thornkeep auction house.

-Lisa
Flari-Merchant
This is off topic so doesn't count ;P

An AH setting that allows lower grade materials to be included as buyable on Bid orders. Like I might accept all grades of Tansey leaves with a single buy order.
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
An AH setting that allows lower grade materials to be included as buyable on Bid orders. Like I might accept all grades of Tansey leaves with a single buy order.

I long ago filed a feature request for something along these lines, and ideally for being able to place bids and view offers by stocks instead of by specific item. Just haven't been able to get it to the top of the priority list. If the lack of it is causing lots of you problems, let me know and we'll see about bumping it up.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Flari-Merchant

I long ago filed a feature request for something along these lines, and ideally for being able to place bids and view offers by stocks instead of by specific item. Just haven't been able to get it to the top of the priority list. If the lack of it is causing lots of you problems, let me know and we'll see about bumping it up.
Well it is causing convenience problems for sure. A bid buyer has to put in multiple bids at varying grades and that is bothersome, though I have done it when I had the patience. A seller may want to sell his tansy, but it is just a grade too wilted. He can list it and an attentive buyer will notice. I suppose it is mainly a bid buyer's inconvenience. Certainly worth checking out if you have the time.

It was mentioned today in Gen chat and struck me as a good point.
uotopia@msn.com
Bob
Flari-Merchant
I suppose it is mainly a bid buyer's inconvenience.

This actually bothered me as a buyer before there were bids. I just wanted to buy the cheapest Weak Antiseptic I could find and didn't want to have to check 16 raw materials and 2 salvage items each time.

It was also problematic as a seller, since it was harder to figure out the price for an item that hadn't been listed much if I couldn't quickly see the prices other items of the same stock were going for. And of course now it means sometimes staring at a bid for one item, knowing the buyer would probably be perfectly happy with my alternative item from the same stock, but not being sure the buyer will ever see my offer to consider it.

Yes, this is one of my biggest personal pet peeves, why do you ask?
Fiery wind
I'm not sure what the easiest way to implement this would be, but my suggestion was a new category of item listed on the AH, an (All) quality, that you could set bids for. Perhaps a toggle option of some kind would be easier, though, and would likely be the better solution.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post