Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Training level 9 at NPC settlements?

Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yes, I am 100% serious with this request. I certainly hope it wouldn't take much work to do this and I think if no other change requests make it for consideration I truly hope this one does.

As I said in another thread, for some key mechanics like unaffiliated companies having the ability to do anything to establish themselves it ia vital to have this. To have a slight fighting chance to get themselves a home to call their own it is absolutely necessary to have at least a basic tier 2 fighting capacity and crafting capacity. The effort will still be astronomical but it would at least be viable, however unlikely such an endeavor may be to succeed.

That is the big thing. Just having a real possibility to do anything and perhaps get a home or some territory without being forced into another guild is a major game changer and I cannot stress enough the importance of that in amy healthy mmo.

I want new players to join our settlements and alliances becuase they truly want to, not because they have to. Giving us all the power and making the players experiences, freedom, and the ability to determine their own destiny in any real way has never sat well with me. It makes everything solely dependent on a settlements benevolence to allow anyone to exist in this game at all. This can have a very negative effect on player retention. If they are forced to join us or else and/or do not have a good first impression of whomever they are forced to join, people will leave.

It needs to be opened up somewhat to allow players have more control of their own destinies. They still wont be able to get beyond trainer level 9 without joining a settlement but consider one last thing. Tier 2 is where a lot of the action is really at. Players will spend the most time in that level and having them experience it and learn the ropes of tier 2 life could be a big help in keeping players around. Getting to tier 2 for the first time was quite an amazing feeling. We all remember that.

So I appreciate it if this is given any serious consideration. I would like to ask how big of a change would it be to add this into the roadmap?
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Flari-Merchant
I have always believed that alternative paths from loner to company to holding and all the way up to Settlement would be vital to new player retention. It is just simply a "sandbox" expectation that any player can be "King/Queen" or someone with major standing, even if that is a farm holding in some place. It should be feasible through more ways than forced apprenticeship with established powers.

If they get bully rubbed out, they will learn that it takes more than a bit of Bulk to maintain that and get into politics more. But I digress
Bob
Just changing the base trainer/support level from 8 to 9 would probably be pretty easy. There'd probably also be some work figuring out other things that affected, like parts of the tutorial quest that currently tell players they need to go to player settlements for trainer level 8 feats, which might require a little reworking to really make sense. Still, all in all not likely to be a huge amount of work.

Of course, a new player doesn't currently have to join a settlement to get those feats. They just need to go to a player settlement that allows unaffiliated characters to train, and they have to pay a small surcharge for training beyond their support level. However, since those would only be at most one rank beyond what they have full support for, they'd still get to round up to support those new ranks. That said, they do have to leave the safety of Thornkeep.
Garric Orcsbane
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yes, I am 100% serious with this request. I certainly hope it wouldn't take much work to do this and I think if no other change requests make it for consideration I truly hope this one does.

As I said in another thread, for some key mechanics like unaffiliated companies having the ability to do anything to establish themselves it ia vital to have this. To have a slight fighting chance to get themselves a home to call their own it is absolutely necessary to have at least a basic tier 2 fighting capacity and crafting capacity. The effort will still be astronomical but it would at least be viable, however unlikely such an endeavor may be to succeed.

That is the big thing. Just having a real possibility to do anything and perhaps get a home or some territory without being forced into another guild is a major game changer and I cannot stress enough the importance of that in amy healthy mmo.

I want new players to join our settlements and alliances becuase they truly want to, not because they have to. Giving us all the power and making the players experiences, freedom, and the ability to determine their own destiny in any real way has never sat well with me. It makes everything solely dependent on a settlements benevolence to allow anyone to exist in this game at all. This can have a very negative effect on player retention. If they are forced to join us or else and/or do not have a good first impression of whomever they are forced to join, people will leave.

It needs to be opened up somewhat to allow players have more control of their own destinies. They still wont be able to get beyond trainer level 9 without joining a settlement but consider one last thing. Tier 2 is where a lot of the action is really at. Players will spend the most time in that level and having them experience it and learn the ropes of tier 2 life could be a big help in keeping players around. Getting to tier 2 for the first time was quite an amazing feeling. We all remember that.

So I appreciate it if this is given any serious consideration. I would like to ask how big of a change would it be to add this into the roadmap?

University Commons does not have any restrictions on who can train at or use our facilities and welcome everyone who wants to use them. With the introduction of taxes some of the fees will be going up (out of alliance tuition rates ya know) but we will remain open to all as long as they can be civil while visiting. Stop by and chat, visit the tavern, train all only a few hexes from Thornkeep.
Edam
One alternative would be to allow adventurers cottages to be placed at NPC locations. There will be a shortage of places but that may see the old starter settlements suddenly getting more use.

Another alternative would be to allow faction membership to boost the training available to you at a NPC settlement.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Garric Orcsbane
University Commons does not have any restrictions on who can train at or use our facilities and welcome everyone who wants to use them. With the introduction of taxes some of the fees will be going up (out of alliance tuition rates ya know) but we will remain open to all as long as they can be civil while visiting. Stop by and chat, visit the tavern, train all only a few hexes from Thornkeep.

Forgot to ask, does University Commons have all the class training facilities? It's been some time since I've been over there and I don't remember what is there.

Either way I support this idea. It makes me feel a little better knowing that there may be a way for independent players and companies to forge their own destinies. At least it is possible for some kind of free company movement to develop in the game.
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Lisa Stevens
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Forgot to ask, does University Commons have all the class training facilities? It's been some time since I've been over there and I don't remember what is there.

University Commons covers all the class training facilities except for the Temple for clerics.

-Spider
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Lisa Stevens
Paddy Fitzpatrick

University Commons covers all the class training facilities except for the Temple for clerics.

-Spider

Interesting. Who is the current point of contact for the UC these days?
Find us on PFO Discord
Lisa Stevens
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Interesting. Who is the current point of contact for the UC these days?

That would be either Nactillius or Garric Orcsbane.

-Spider
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Alrighty, so what is their contact info?
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post