Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Social Features

Bob
You are a Troll
I think the whole *applying to belong to a social company* thing is kinda silly and redundant with a Friends list. I just need to know/remember who the friendly people I met were (as a new player) and when my non-settlement friends are in game (as an established player). Another whole layer of potentially confusing company affiliations is totally unnecessary.

There's definitely some redundancy between friends lists and social companies, but there are things we could do with social companies that we can't do with friends lists, or at least not easily. For example, if A is friends with B, and B is friends with C, then A isn't necessarily friends with C. As a result, if we tried to do something like a Friends chat channel, each person would see a different set of messages and there wouldn't be clear lines of conversation to follow like there are in your Settlement channel. However, if we made it possible to open up a channel for a specific social company, then every member of the social company would see the same messages in that channel and could easily follow the flow of conversation.

It's similar to the differences between what we've currently implemented for Alliances and our longer-term plans to create Nations. Alliances are reciprocal between two settlements, but there's no requirement that allies of allies are also allies. As a result, we can't really implement anything that feels like nation vs. nation mechanics, because the possible webs of alliances are too complicated.
Bob
Bringslite
#3 A category between "Allied" and "Member" or a category between "Allied" and "Unaffiliated". I would also argue that it IS a social feature because it affects all players on a social level.

Those categories are all defined by existing social links. Members means any member of that settlement, Allied means any member of an allied settlement, and Unaffiliated just means everyone else. Is there an existing social construct you'd want added as a category (e.g. member of the settlement's founding company, member of a company not affiliated with a settlement, not a member of a company at all), or another social construct you'd like created that could be reflected as a category (e.g. VIP)?
Bringslite
I feel like a "National category would be good as there are in fact groups now in game that consider themselves as Nations and it would be nice to be able to set singular fee/tax setting equally for them without having to necessarily include outside "Aillied" groups in the same category.

Mostly though I think that it would be nice to be able to differentiate "New Players" from "unaffiliated" at least up to a certain level of skills trained. While I realize that new player training costs are low and increasing them by a % is still probably going to be low, cost wise, it is true that New Players cannot earn coin nearly as fast as experienced players.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
WxCougar of KOTC
I agree that there should be a way to differentiate from members of a nation and allies for taxing purposes as well as accessibility. Not that it will be something my group needs, but I can see others needing it.
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Bringslite
PS- Also it would be nice if we were able to spread out the income from fees/taxes so that the burden of them would not have to fall so heavily on 2 or 3 (seems like mostly 2 or 1) so another social construct would be worth the effort if not too much work on your end.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Harad Navar
Bob
Of all the things mentioned so far, by me or by others, what's the one thing that each of you would most like to have working soon?

To directly answer your question, I would like to see social companies developed soon and with a little more functionality then as stated in the OP.

The thing that is bothering me the most is when we get to OE and (hopefully) new players start pouring(?) in. My concern is what is there to do that would keep them in game? If we had that now we would have a much larger player population right now. I agree that social companies shouldn't own/control territory. But small holdings do not control territory. If social companies could access a small holding as a social company rather than an individual or member of the individual's party then new opportunities for play become possible.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Bob
Nations are certainly possible, but they require a new system for creating them and managing their membership, so they're not a trivial addition. We also have a lot of long-term plans for them, so there'd be some research and design work involved to make sure that any partial implementation sets us up for the additional things we'd want to get to later. Worth considering, but potentially more of a full feature to be scheduled on its own.

New players is a bit easier to define with existing data, though there are some issues with identifying alts vs. truly new players (specifically, even if we know which they are, we can't tell you). Overall though, taxes should be a pretty minimal portion of a new player's expenses, particularly since the early ranks for most feats are coin free and therefore don't involve taxes at all. I'm not sure new players will really notice the savings, and we do want to be careful not to add complications to the system if they won't lead to noticeable differences. However, if settlements being able to offer discounts to new players or other specific categories feels like a real driver for getting those players to visit or join those settlements, it could be worthwhile. If it's really just something where folks feel like new players need even more of a break, then maybe we should just look at ways to reduce costs for some of the lower-end stuff.
Bringslite
Well, I am happy if you can look into it and add something if you are able. Until then, Player Groups will simply have to make their own choices about fees/taxes and live with those. Choices/settings will, I am sure, evolve and change depending on how successful those settings turn out to be. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Giorgio
It is good to seeing "social features" finally getting the attention it so desperately needs. smile

Bob
Of all the things mentioned so far, by me or by others, what's the one thing that each of you would most like to have working soon?

In general, anything that lets me see what alliance and/or settlement members are online and/or offline and allows me to communicate with them directly in game (without having to use a third party system like a voice chat, email, or website PM system)is something I would like to see be prioritized.

After that, being able to communicate settlement related information in game to those players who don't use forums or voice coms would be a big help.

Friends list and an in-game communication system (I really enjoy LOTRO mail box system)would be nice.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Giorgio
Bob
Web Site Direct Messages: A very popular request. Can't guarantee we could actually add these to our web site in a reasonable amount of time, but we could take some time to look into it and figure out what would be involved.

The lack of the above annoys me greatly as a settlement leader for so many reasons (which I know I have stated many times before), but I need to ask if we are still on track to abandon the GW website and move over completely to the new Paizo forums website? And if so, when?

If soon, then the above is not worth spending time on.

If not soon, then yes please spend time on this and the other long awaited requested feature: a search option for the forums.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post