Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Unity platform update

plopmania
Since Unity 2018.1 is officially out, I started wondering:
How painful would a Unity platform update be? There are a lot of improvements that would yield benefits now and in the future.

I do remember that Ryan mentioned licensing the source code of Unity 4.x and this leads me to believe that there must be some super-pesky alterations (network code + havoc?) that quite likely make this move unfeasible. Even so, is there even a possibility to load some subset of the assets to the newest Unity engine and see, if the immediate gains would be enough to warrant further investigation?
Azure_Zero
Since I've worked some with the previous Unity versions (4.x -> 2017.3), I can say there would be quite an upgrade in functions and tools.
That and the workflow is a bit better.

Though I do recall when Unity 5 came out I asked Ryan if they would upgrade and he said no since they made the features themselves that were included in Unity 5 that were not in Unity 4, including updating parts of the rendering pipeline.

Now I do kinda hope they do upgrade it to get more features and performance,
but at the same time I don't want the Duke Nukem Forever engine switching to happen eating; time, cash development, bug fixing etc.
Bob
Unfortunately, even the work we're already aware of in upgrading to the latest version of Unity would require investing a significant amount of time and resources. Throw on the uncertainty inherent in any major engine upgrade and it's unlikely we'll be able to look into upgrading any time soon with our current resources.
Bringslite
@Bob We waited a long time for EE15. Do you think that it would take Cole and yourself that long to get Unity 5 integrated and working?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
@Brings
It'll take longer then you think to port from one version to the other,
I learn that lesson when I ported a OpenGL project to DirectX.

Porting is NEVER quick and easy when using a modified engine, Heck we have the Historic example of Duke Nukem Forever as an example of that.
Bringslite
Azure_Zero
@Brings
It'll take longer then you think to port from one version to the other,
I learn that lesson when I ported a OpenGL project to DirectX.

Porting is NEVER quick and easy when using a modified engine, Heck we have the Historic example of Duke Nukem Forever as an example of that.

Makes sense. I was just hoping that MAYBE the original hadn't been too chewed up by customization…. smile

Anything… new engine, new classes, a drive toward being more like PFRPG… something to tag onto any future OE release…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
A New Engine doesn't make a great game.
Look at Ion Maiden that released into Early access on Steam this year in 2018,
it's using the Old Build Engine, although a upgraded version of it,
And it was and is selling well.

I can understand the wanting of new content and it to be more like the Tabletop Pathfinder we love,
But this is NOT tabletop pathfinder, it's Fantasy EVE Online….
Bob
It's always possible we'd get lucky, but I'd be surprised if it took us less than 6 months of focused work, and unsurprised if it took quite a bit longer. There's just too much stuff we did on top of the engine that would need to be rethought to make it compatible with Unity 2018. And all that work is just to get things working pretty much the same as they are now. Really taking advantage of the opportunities the latest version of Unity offers would require even more work, some preferably on the art side. On the positive side, it would set us up nicely for a number of improvements, but we'd be going a long time before we could deliver something noticeably better than the current game, and a long time before we could get back to working on other unfinished systems.
Bringslite
Azure_Zero
A New Engine doesn't make a great game.
Look at Ion Maiden that released into Early access on Steam this year in 2018,
it's using the Old Build Engine, although a upgraded version of it,
And it was and is selling well.

I can understand the wanting of new content and it to be more like the Tabletop Pathfinder we love,
But this is NOT tabletop pathfinder, it's Fantasy EVE Online….
No, a new engine doesn't guarantee anything. These guys have been struggling with an outdated version of a modern engine that was heavily chewed on before they took over the wheel.. They have done pretty good with that and delivered much more than I thought was possible in this time frame.
I can't help but wonder what they could do with a cutting off of past hinderences(software workarounds, old ideals, etc..) and a modern MMO engine.

Can't help but wonder if a sacrifice in time/resources to give them better tools might make a huge difference down the line for Paizo, them and us…

PS-There is still much desire for a PFO version of PFRPG from PathFinder customers than many of us may think. At least I get that from having talked with a few over the last few days. Paizo should do a poll of some sort. Gauge how much support there really is out there.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Paddy Fitzpatrick
If the game is to be completed at all some time anywhere close to where they want to there doesnt seem to be time for engine upgrades. That would be something to do after OE when the game stabilizes.

As far as feeling like Pathfinder goes, there are ways to do that even in the context of a PvP EVE like sandbox. Think of it like The Battle for the River Kingdoms if that helps. There are abilities, content, and mechanics that can be added that mirror Pathfinder ones and give it more of a Pathfinder feel. However, it will still remain a high fantasy sandbox game either way. It wont ever be the tabletop. This wont be like a Neverwinter Nights style game.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post