Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

How to make PFO more "Pathfinder"

Giorgio
Lisa Stevens
I look forward to your ideas!
-Lisa

@Lisa,

Would it be of help if I go back threw the forums and post links of the various threads where this subject has been repeatedly brought up and debated? (Lots of good ideas in many of those past conversations…smile

The idea being that everyone can see what has already been said and debated, so as to leave space to bring up good ideas again and also start a conversation on new ideas.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Bob
Giorgio
Would it be of help if I go back threw the forums and post links of the various threads where this subject has been repeatedly brought up and debated? (Lots of good ideas in many of those past conversations…smile

Assuming those older posts aren't clearly obsolete (i.e. already added to the game) or beyond our potential scope (e.g. dungeons), then reminders of previous threads would definitely be helpful.
Huran
Stilachio Thrax
* Factions that are attached to known Golarion organizations.
* Get Deities up and running so that choosing alignment, feats and expendables matter to clerics. Include more Golarion Deities.
* Lootable, single-use recipes for unique equipment found in TT. Things like Mithral Full Plate of Speed or Sunblade.
* Features that duplicate archtypes or prestige classes found in Golarion.
* Known NPCs from River Kingdoms scattered about, perhaps even moving around to different places. They don't even need to do anything specific other than maybe have a few bits of dialogue. You could throw in some of the characters from the novel that was a Kickstarter reward.
+1

I really like this list. To add to it with me dreaming and if time and money were not an issue:

* AI mobs that actually move rather than stand still and wait to be attacked.
* Random NPC events in the wild - something simple like you come across a campfire with a mob that may or may not be friendly depending on what faction you are or are not part of.
* Banners that allow us to show individuality through heraldry.
* More use for stealth and perception that allow sneaking near someone to either pick pocket or backstab them.
* The stand and deliver features that have been proposed in other threads.
* Blackmarket NPC shops that sell random unique items that require social skills, perception, special quests or hard to make refined items to find.
* Falling damage, horses and caravans.
* I also liked it back when heavy and medium armor slowed movement compared to light and cloth. I think the endurance bar was used for running at that time as well. (Though I am most likely the minority on this one).
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Let's see, I'll take a stab at a wish list that may be realistic…

- Deity and alignment, like everyone else has suggested
- Fall damage
- Some kind of stick em up/stand and deliver ability
- Some additional abilities that do more than just direct damage for all classes.
- Add some more utility feats for all classes based on the class abilities from Pathfinder TT
- More unique escalations that have Pathfinder NPCs or pull from the more unique elements of Golarion
- Make the Emerald Spire do something besides simply being there. Maybe make it a home hex for a completely unique escalation that can only appear there.
- Have all the locations found in those location achievement awards serve some functional purpose. Maybe a slight bonus to something while in hex, recharge power, or something else entirely. Also have them show up on your map once discovered.
- Have the different Cathedrals have some sort of marking, bust or some other relic of the various Pathfinder Deities that would be associated with them.
- Buff channel negative energy. Could use more incentive to try using it.

Wish list if money and time were not an issue:

- Give players the ability to post quests/contracts/bounties on a billboard. Perhaps in their settlement or new player settlements. Give them the ability to create their own content and create their own stories.
- Banners, guild tabbards that can be worn over our gear (without affecting stats).
- Customizable buildings
- Summoning, making undead, creating walls, and other wizard abilities from the specific schools of magic
- Heavy and Medium armor wearers move slower than light and cloth (you aren't the only one Huran)
- Enchanting system expanded to add additional resistances to armor instead of additional keyword if they wish
- Enchanting system expanded to add/change to different damage type to weapons instead of a keyword
- Fighters should get a unique attack or two if they choose to use a specific weapon specialization fighter feature. Either that or give a weapon specific expendable that works differently and has different keywords depending on the weapon chosen.
- Fill in the rivers with water
- Have being in water have some sort of effect
- Potential for drowning
- Make swimming a thing, and make it somewhat more difficult in heavier armors
- Horses
- Mounted Combat abilities
- Horse Barding
- Ability to tame animals such as wolves (may wanna reserve those for future classes like ranger and druid)
- Implement the other Pathfinder classes.

On another note, perhaps also adding something to the name of the game may also help. Something that suggests that this is a sandbox fight for control of this part of Golarion. Maybe something like "Pathfinder Online: Battle for the River Kingdoms"? I dunno, could give a better sense of the kind of game it is and with some of these other changes can still keep it in the context of the world of Golarion. It's a small renaming but something along those lines may help later on when presenting it to potential new players.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Gross
hmm - looking at the wish lists there is a pair of frustrated rogues in Huran and Paddy wanting more rob people abilities…. as a frustrated ranger I have a very similar wish list except I think there is no need for medium / heavy armour to be slower than light / cloth to be more pathfinder TT like, it would actually make it less so (looking at the current PF TT campaign I am in my ranger is the fastest across the ground in almost any terrain and is armoured) as the turn based system allows different interaction than the online true simultaneous movement. A flat slow (given the other game mechanics) would just make the game less TT like / make rogue builds more OP than some people currently think they are / make the game potentially unplayable due to taking too long to travel between points in armour.

Rather if given unlimited dev resources the first things I would like to see are

speedier travel on roads vs grassland vs woods vs being in water with feats to mitigate
rideable animals with feats to better do it
water with feats to swim or hold breath
rangers!!!
2 handed axes (I play dwarves after all)
ability to group parties to make warbands
more mobile mobs
dragons (baby ones anyway)
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).
Bringslite
@Bob
Something that might tie into your idea about spreading AHs out more, Buy Orders are essentially Contracts that are available to be picked and fulfilled. If they could be expanded to include "Kill X number of Ys, for reward Z"…and even more complex, You are already halfway there.

Players might find it more useful to have many more such "locations" around. You do need incentives. Why would I hire players from outside my group to kill 10 Ogres for me? example.

Not directly "PFRPG" except in the way of readily available side quests and tasks for players…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
Something that might tie into your idea about spreading AHs out more, Buy Orders are essentially Contracts that are available to be picked and fulfilled. If they could be expanded to include "Kill X number of Ys, for reward Z"…and even more complex, You are already halfway there.

We certainly saw Buy Orders as a very small stepping stone towards Contracts. It's not clear how much code they could share as we added things like "Kill X" to them, or whether Auction Houses would be the best place for managing them, but there's definitely some potential with sharing concepts like setting aside some money for paying off the Contract and that kind of thing.

Bringslite
Players might find it more useful to have many more such "locations" around. You do need incentives. Why would I hire players from outside my group to kill 10 Ogres for me? example.

Location is going to be an interesting question when we do get to these. Will we want special buildings that can be placed out in the wilderness so characters can collect their rewards more easily? Is part of the point driving characters to settlements, so we want them to collect their rewards there? Definitely going to take some thought.

In terms of incentives, one of the main things we intended originally was that settlements would very much want to keep their nearby hexes cleared of escalations. We had multiple things in mind, like cutting into bulk resource production in infected hexes, monsters attacking buildings or even settlements, and just generally having bad things happen to settlements if nearby escalations remained unchecked. Sometimes settlements would find themselves needing a little help and would offer up bounties for helping battle specific escalations, or even just to reward their own members when they choose doing what the settlement needs over doing what they personally need.

Bringslite
Not directly "PFRPG" except in the way of readily available side quests and tasks for players…

This is one of the trickier parts of this discussion. Making the game more "Pathfinder" doesn't necessarily mean directly bringing over something from the tabletop experience. If you feel that one of the essential experiences in tabletop is the feeling of side quests and player tasks, then contracts and bounties can be a way for us get some of that feeling that works well for a sandbox MMO.

However, there are plenty of things that would make Pathfinder Online a better game, but aren't necessarily about making the game more "Pathfinder," or at least not obviously so. At first glance, adding water to the game doesn't have an obvious connection to how "Pathfinder" the game feels, unless your tabletop games spend a lot of time figuring out how to cross rivers and streams. On the other hand, if a huge portion of the draw is the flavor of the River Kingdoms, and if it's too difficult to reconcile that with empty streams, then it does become important. Then again, I could also just write more into the backstory about a mysterious drought that started recently.

What I'm particularly interested in is the "why" part for things that folks feel would make the game more "Pathfinder." Understanding that makes it possible for me to think about other ways of meeting that need that might be easier to implement or more appropriate for our style of game.

WxCougar of KOTC
In regards to the rivers not being filled in, I liked how it was sort of mentioned that it was Nhur's doing during the begginer's quest. Things like that definitely fill in the world. Maybe have it (and things of that nature) show up with other NPCs. Mention of the effects, and maybe down the road it can become an event to stop Nhur and bring water back to the rivers of our neck of the woods.
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Harad Navar
Bringslite
Azure-Zero's thread opened the possibility of special locations for factions (similar to holdings) where it might be possible to have modified auction house function for the "kill x" contract. Actually modifying crafter's studio (which has AH like function) might be a better fit. Thinking Light Shield for killing monsters and bandits, and Dark Sword for killing players.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Azure_Zero
@Harad Navar
I envisioned Light Shield and Dark Sword groups as polar opposites for PVP, and that both would help/harm certain opposing escalations.
I also setup the Guard Role to oppose the Bandit and Warlord Roles.
I set it up so there was one dead to rights Good aligned settlement role for heavy PVP with PVE support, while the evil and neutral aligned have a few settlement role options for PVP minded groups so they can fight amongst themselves.

Remember folks this is a territory control game.
Hence why I made all settlement roles have both PVP and PVE in mind, so that a PVE heavy role could fight back against a PVP heavy role should a fight start between them.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post