Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

How to make PFO more "Pathfinder"

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Not directly "more Pathfinderish" but maybe almost instantly more interactive and "roleplayish"

• Create a handful of well equipped level-appropriate-characters for each escalation type that reset with each login. Make them allied with the escalation and unable to trade with PCs or interact with buildings or guards, but do allow them to deplete harvesting.
  • Confine those NPCs to hexes where the appropriate escalation is currently running or infecting.
  • Create a settings flag and notification that lets interested players know: “There are characters currently combating NPCs in a hex, do you wish to play an NPC?
  • Alternately, let them play a limited number of NPCs per day at any time, assigned to escalations at random. (To prevent using it just to interfere with gathering.
  • Watch players freak out when the mobs don’t all leash.
  • Watch players work to clear escalations a little quicker to prevent PC-NPCs from messing up their preferred hexes.

"Level-appropriate" might need to be flexible. Players maybe shouldn't occupy the top few spots in the escalation hierarchy, unless it's a low-mid-level escalation, but could inject some serious danger if they are moderately high placed NPCs who can freely move about the hex (and maybe bring agro with them to a degree).
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Caldeathe Baequiannia
It has the advantage of being PvP content while appearing a little less PvPish to the averse. It instantly makes the mobs a little bit more capable without improving their AI.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Azure_Zero
Great Idea Cal, that is the best idea I heard of yet,…. no seriously…
It gives PVPers the PVP and lets those that like PVE a better challenge and it looks PVE.
Harad Navar
I remember one update where the number of monster encounters doubled as well as the number of monsters in each encounter. Couldn't move out of the settlement (Keeper's Pass if I recall) without getting killed quite a lot. We had to stay in the settlement till the next server reset for the corrected patch. It was exciting until the 4th or 5th time you died trying to move more than 50 meters even in stealth.

What if monsters changed periodically. E.g., at night monsters with dark vision could have their threat radius increase by 50%.

What if with (supposedly) intelligent monsters that their threat radius doubled during certain phases of the escalation when higher bosses appeared because they were more aware when the boss is around.

What if camps drew monster encounters from the surrounding terrain (but not as bad as gusher harvesting) because they smelled the smoke from the campfire.

What if "intelligent" monster encounters (in wilderness hexes without an escalation) had a 200% threat radius because "scouts" are scouting?
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Maxen
TL;DR – I like Pathfinder and I’m here to the end. Skip to the bottom half for my thoughts on how to make PfO more “Pathfindery”.

Let me start by explaining why I chose to play and continue to play this game. Yes, I am a table top player, starting with Tunnels and Trolls when I was in the 4th grade. I’ve played original D&D, AD&D, Rolemaster, Star Wars (WOTC version), Deadlands, Mutants and Masterminds, D&D up to 3.5, and finally Pathfinder. I also grew up enjoying the AD&D Goldbox computer game series and other high fantasy computer games like Baulder’s Gate and Icewind Dale. I cut my teeth on MMOs with City of Heroes. I never played Ultima Online, Eve, or WoW. I played Guildwars 2 for a short time. (Talk about a “pretty” game.) I was a founding player of Star Wars: The Old Republic and still play occasionally.

I don’t tell you all these things because I wear them as some badge of honor. Frankly, my wife would just as soon throw my PC and TT gaming collection out the door. She’s an understanding woman, but I know it still bugs her how much time I spend online.

But I tell you this so you understand that I am a tabletop gamer AND a PC gamer. THAT is what attracted me and my gaming group to this game and THAT is why I continue to support its development and hope it is successful.

My tabletop gaming group (6 of us) all got in on the Kickstarter. We also all played City of Heroes, so we were familiar with the MMO scene. What excited us about the concept of Pathfinder Online is that we could move from pen and paper and into a more virtual setting. It would also allow our poor GM a chance to play a hero for once.

We were heavily into the Kingmaker campaign and thought it would be really cool to be able to be part of a larger world where you didn’t have to rely on box text to have an adventure.

One of the most exciting elements was that we would be able to pit our characters against other players. Not some A.I. from a computer game. Admittedly, the thought of PvP didn’t excite everyone. And frankly, not everyone is good at PvP. Getting spanked time after time is a major de-motivator.

Pathfinder Online has a number of things going for it. It has a neat crafting system. Character advancement is challenging but fun once you get the hang of it. Warfare will add an interesting spin on things if we can get a population large enough to support it. On the other hand, the graphics and animations are sub-par. XP over time is a blessing and a curse. If I’m paying a sub for three character slots and I can only gain XP over time, then all those slots should be earning. After all, I still have to break the gates by adventuring and not having the XP available when I finally break a gate is ridiculous simply because that character wasn’t “training”.

But the biggest thing this game has going for it is the potential to support online role playing, and that’s where it’s currently missing the boat because there just isn’t enough Pathfinder flavor in the game. Yes, factions and deities will help with that, but there need to be other ways to participate in the world, while keeping it a sandbox.

Lisa started this thread asking for ways to infuse more “Pathfinder” into the game. Here are some of my thoughts.

NPC caravans that can be raided

Gives lawful or mercenary characters something to defend as the caravan ventures through the Crusader Road area. Gives bandits something to raid.

Perhaps these caravans are from Cheliax or Varisia. When caravans reach their Thornekeep and Fort Inevitable destinations, they would have unique one time recipes (unique to the region from which they traveled) to bid on (not buy outright, so it would be an extension of the auction house concept), but selection may be severely limited if bandits do significant damage to the caravan. This could use similar capture mechanics to holding raids, but the caravan would always be moving, so it would be a moving battle that would require coordination. Bandits would be rewarded a unique or rare recipe if they successfully take down the caravan. Defenders would receive a similar reward for successfully getting the caravan to its destination. This would certainly promote PvP and PvE content (since monsters along the road would also attack.)

Emerald Spire event

We have this fantastic looking structure that does nothing but look green. Set up a raid event similar to the Ritki mothership event from City of Heroes (and I’m sure other MMOs have similar raid events.)

Mordant Elven forces are massing at the Spire for a raid of some random settlement. Defeat the elves to prevent the settlement raid. If unsuccessful, the randomly selected settlement loses a small percent of stored bulk. (Talk about a motivator to cooperate take it down quick!)

Reward for successfully defeating the raid would be a guaranteed stone drop and unique or rare recipe.

This type of event would require a mechanic that would allow multiple 6 character teams to group up.

Traveling notable figures

Notable Iconic characters (like Seoni or Shalelu Andosana), delegations from cities from around Golarion, or a traveling party (Shoanti barbarian hunting party) will visit the Thornekeep and Fort Inevitable.

They will have some quest assignment. For example, a delegation from Daggermark visits Thornekeep. It is rumored that Ogg is planning to raid local villages around Daggermark. Kill Ogg’s minions to help cull his numbers. Bounty could be 5 coppers per head.

There could be any number of possibilities to bring pieces of Golarion and Pathfinder lore into the Crusader Road area.

War in the River Kingdoms

Brevoy and Mivon are at war!

Traveling dignitaries from both sides would like Crusader Road settlements to donate bulk to the war effort in exchange for something. (Influence for attached companies? One-for-one trade of another bulk resource which they have in ‘excess’?)

Depending on which side is supported will determine the outcome of a particular battle. Updates are posted in the Taverns in Thornekeep and Fort Inevitable.
Suave
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Not directly "more Pathfinderish" but maybe almost instantly more interactive and "roleplayish"

"Level-appropriate" might need to be flexible. Players maybe shouldn't occupy the top few spots in the escalation hierarchy, unless it's a low-mid-level escalation, but could inject some serious danger if they are moderately high placed NPCs who can freely move about the hex (and maybe bring agro with them to a degree).
++1
Suave
Maxen
TL;DR – I like Pathfinder and I’m here to the end. Skip to the bottom half for my thoughts on how to make PfO more “Pathfindery”.
Lisa started this thread asking for ways to infuse more “Pathfinder” into the game. Here are some of my thoughts.

NPC caravans that can be raided

+1
Traveling notable figures
+1

War in the River Kingdoms

+1
Depending on which side is supported will determine the outcome of a particular battle. Updates are posted in the Taverns in Thornekeep and Fort Inevitable.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I like a lot of the ideas here. Although I wonder if we would do best to focus on ones that may be more realistic rather than the ones where resources were not a factor.

Example, we know alignment and deities will ve coming in but we know factions will not be in for the foreseeable future. I dont see a point in focusing on something we know we wont get. Thats why I made two lists, one for what may be a realistic request and one for a much larger wish list.

I like the idea of NPC events that players can compete for depending on if it can be done with current resources. I definitely agree that emerald spire and other locations should have special events and escalations.

I still think other smaller changes need to be made as well. Little things like making the enchanting system work well, generate special weapons or options for weapons and armor based on pathfinder ones, and other small things that make things seem less cookie cutter. Some sort of symbol representing deities of different temples and cathedrals, and other little things that bring more of a pathfinder look and feel. These smaller things should not be overlooked and those little things go a long way in building an atmosphere that feels like Pathfinder. Right now all the settlement buildings, armors, weapons, locations, and other existing assets look very generic. In my opinion I would focus on making existing things look and feel less generic and make those feel more like Pathfinder assets first before building even more new systems.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Demiurge
Biggest current difference. Pathfinder TT does not have PvP.
Bringslite
Lisa once said that "hobgoblins" had been very well along the development cycle… How far along that actually are they? How tough would it be to create the ability to "skin" player avatars as different things like goblins, ogres, duergar, skeletons, lol "bandits", Mordant Spire Elves, etc… for random PVP?

One of the challenges I see here is getting new players to feel along the lines that random PVP can be seen as simply challenging "Random Encounter" situations. That's, essentially all they really are. NPC's that are more capable than the average "creature" they represent, isn't too different from PF TT at all, is it?

I think that PVP is too ingrained as a feature in PFO already. Changing that completely would truly be a change for the worse and alienate an important market segment, wreck an important content feature set, and be too far of a step away from a more balanced (give-take) thematic and workable MMO. (Not that I think anyone is pushing for that, anywhere here). It still would be beneficial to buff up the TT "feel" by using many of these suggested features… There have been some really good ones from start and so far in this thread.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post