Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

How to make PFO more "Pathfinder"

harneloot
Demiurge
Biggest current difference. Pathfinder TT does not have PvP.

I disagree. TT certainly does have PvP - some of our most memorable sessions came from my TT party encountering a rival adventuring party and having to deal with them with diplomacy and/or armed conflict. Certainly livens up the usual fight the monsters loot the treasure. Every good TT game has humans (and elves, dwarves etc) opposing the party's goals and activities at some point.

I like every single idea Maxen threw out there! The ideas are dynamic and involve the players in the game world using the lore from Golarion in a way that brings the whole setting more to life. My own small contribution (in the same vein) is to rename some of the buildings and trainers in TK with names from River Kingdom and Golarion lore. Put a bartender behind the bar in the tavern and have him occasionally say something river kingdoms related. Have a crier next to the Thornguards along the major roads into and out of TK telling of the ruler's decree against violence in TK instead of just the Absolute security message.

Paizo owns all the IP of the Pathfinder setting, leverage it to make the world feel more alive smile
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Harad Navar
I like the idea of people playing monsters, but I hesitate to agree that current players be those monsters. I think the objective of "Pathfinder-ing" PFO is to make PFO more attractive to new players. There are lots of coordinators for the Pathfinder Society organized play. What if Paizo arranges for venture captains to put together some players to be a group of intelligent escalation NPCs? It would allow word of mouth advertising in organized play. Also It would be a hoot for players to suddenly have dark elves REALLY challenging.

To carry this a step farther, what if it was discovered that dark elves (organized players in elf skins) were going to break out from under the Emerald Spire to ravage the countryside at a specific time?

What if the dark elves that get away started popping up in Broken Lands Hexes to raid?

How would we do against with a Gathering of Legends who had skin-ed players?
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Bringslite
I think that it would be a most interesting project to ask Pathfinder Society Coordinators to take a look at PFO. For those willing, task them with a mission: Take what PFO CAN DO (existing tools) and figure out how a Story can be told for players to experience and influence within the context of PFO.

Ask them: What tools would you need, that are realistic, to make it even better and more easy to do this?

Really, what is PF TT? It is a vehicle for someone to lay out and help others play out a story in a certain setting.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
WxCougar of KOTC
One of the benefits listed under the alpha account was being able to play monsters during events. So based on that, the idea of players playing monsters was something in the design at least at some point - so could be a likely thing. And it would be rather fun - even for those of us who are really inexperienced when it comes to pvp.
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Bringslite
WxCougar of KOTC
One of the benefits listed under the alpha account was being able to play monsters during events. So based on that, the idea of players playing monsters was something in the design at least at some point - so could be a likely thing. And it would be rather fun - even for those of us who are really inexperienced when it comes to pvp.
Plus you just don't see such features very often(if ever) in MMOs. There is at least one game upcoming that has plans for this. It might be a neat attractive feature for the list of why PFO should be given a try.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Bringslite
WxCougar of KOTC
Plus you just don't see such features very often(if ever) in MMOs. There is at least one game upcoming that has plans for this. It might be a neat attractive feature for the list of why PFO should be given a try.

LOTRO handles PVP this way. Free Peoples (all normal characters) aren't allowed any PVP beyond sparring, so for true PVP, characters (freeps) can fight player monster characters (creeps) in the Ettenmoors and a version of Osgiliath. Options are limited to warg, spider, and a few orc variants, but they can rank up and can get traits to make them tougher.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Bringslite
Other thoughts that tie some of these ideas together:

Live events that include interesting NPCs from PFRPG played by real humans, include variant PFRPG recipes/expendables/stones/etc… as rewards. Anything from killing off the NPC to performing a series of tasks for them to whatever the imagination can cook up.

Generate some new and different reasons to log into and play this game. Aside from attracting and keeping new players, you need to keep up the interests of current players.

@Lisa You are likely swamped by the various Paizo projects that are ongoing right now but you did say that you would share some of your own thoughts on How to Make PFO more "Pathfinder". Will you have any time to do that soon?

Thanks! smile
BL
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Lisa Stevens
Bringslite
@Lisa You are likely swamped by the various Paizo projects that are ongoing right now but you did say that you would share some of your own thoughts on How to Make PFO more "Pathfinder". Will you have any time to do that soon?

Define soon? smile

I will hopefully have some time in the next few weeks to type something up. This thing called PaizoCon has me a bit busy at the time.

-Lisa
Bringslite
Thanks Lisa. Looking forward to any ideas that you have. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post