Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Sieges Need to be Revamped Eventually

Bringslite
I would love any and all things that could be added. I'd be pretty happy with just having it plopped down plain in say Rotter's Hole too, figuring we will eventually get bored with it (like players do) so add-ons might have more value coming in over a time period.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Garric Orcsbane
Zog might be a good place as well.

We usually have Zog running the exact same build as Live, and all the NPC settlement structures are effectively part of the build. We certainly could make a special build as an experiment, particularly if we look into it further and decide we really don't want to do something like this on Live, but it would probably be more work overall to make that special build than it would be to just make the change as part of an upcoming build, then roll it back as part of a later one, since builds always have a fair amount of overhead.
Bob
We had walls for settlements early on, and even had walls at a lot of the encounters. Unfortunately, the NPCs just bouncing over them all the time was not a good look, so we removed them until we have a chance to do some significant work on the pathfinding AI. It was also one of those things where walls around the settlements looked pretty cool, but forced everyone to enter and exit through the gates. That's pretty cool when it's also serving an important defensive purpose, but when it's just making it harder to enter and exit, it's much less appealing. So again, we didn't really worry about prioritizing walls until attacking settlements directly became more of a thing, and thus forcing attackers to break through the walls/gates and enter through those chokepoints became important.
Bob
Oh, and before we added Line of Sight, you could just fire through the walls anyway. Now at least that part would largely be taken care of, though again, NPCs and mobs would just run right over them while players would have to respect them. Not exactly fair.
Bringslite
I don't think that I would really worry about NPC and Mobs as they don't chase far into Sett hexes anyway. Now if there are or were plans for that to be different some time in the future (totally awesome in the right cases) that would matter more.

Having to use certain gates to get in… could actually be annoying so I appreciate that foresight. smile

Knowing that you have some assets, in reserve, for possible use is also great!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
There are a few other NPC settlements that could be the place to go for this and since Rotter's hole was and is the only NPC settlement folks can go if their rep is tanked.
So Rathglen, Ossian's Crossing, Marchmont, and Kindleburn would make better choices for it instead of Rotter's Hole and since Marchmont and Rathglen are the only two NPC settlements that are reasonably in the centre of the map, they would make better choices for folks wanting to see it.
Bob
Bringslite
I don't think that I would really worry about NPC and Mobs as they don't chase far into Sett hexes anyway. Now if there are or were plans for that to be different some time in the future (totally awesome in the right cases) that would matter more.

The settlement guards are the main NPCs to worry about around settlement walls. We tended to put them at all the gates, so they were right there to start popping over the walls. Of course, they rarely got triggered, so it wasn't a huge problem, at least no worse than what happens if they get triggered near structures inside the settlement. If that was the only issue, we probably would have left them in. I think there were also some performance issues with that many models, and some other visual anomalies we still needed to work on. All solvable, but we felt it wasn't worth the time until walls really made a gameplay difference.
Bob
Azure_Zero
There are a few other NPC settlements that could be the place to go for this and since Rotter's hole was and is the only NPC settlement folks can go if their rep is tanked.
So Rathglen, Ossian's Crossing, Marchmont, and Kindleburn would make better choices for it instead of Rotter's Hole and since Marchmont and Rathglen are the only two NPC settlements that are reasonably in the centre of the map, they would make better choices for folks wanting to see it.

It depends on what the purpose is for placing the +5 Keeps out in the world. If it's just so people can get a look at them and see what it feels like to run around in them, then I could place them in any or all of the NPC settlements, at least temporarily. Alternatively, I could just make sure there are a bunch of them on Zog at the player settlements, which is probably already the case. If not, that's extremely easy to fix.

If the purpose is to have some battles around them with your Live characters, then Rotter's Hole makes a lot of sense because it's low security and has no NPC guards that would get involved.

harneloot
Bob
It depends on what the purpose is for placing the +5 Keeps out in the world. If it's just so people can get a look at them and see what it feels like to run around in them,

Then they could just come visit Aragon smile
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Maxen
Or Ozems…

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post