Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Friends Lists

Bob
Here are our initial thoughts for this:

Friends Lists help you keep track of other characters you'd like to interact with regularly in-game, along with providing tools to make those interactions easier to initiate. Each character maintains separate lists for Friends (you both agreed to be friends) and Admirers (characters who asked you to be friends). These lists can be managed by clicking on the new Friends Lists icon at the top of the screen.

On the Friends tab (default), a list of characters you've friended is displayed, along with their online status, settlement membership, company membership and company rank. Clicking on a character will bring up a pull-down menu with multiple choices, including Unfriend (remove each other from Friends), Whisper (opens Chat with whisper command and username prefilled) and Invite (sends invitation to join party). There are also buttons for Add Friend (brings up a new window for entering a character name and sending a friend request to that character), Export (creates a file listing all current friends) and Import (reads a file of character names and tries to friend them as appropriate).

On the Admirers tab, a list of characters who've asked to friend you but you haven't yet reciprocated is displayed, along with whether they're new to the list since the last time it was displayed. Their settlement membership, company membership and company rank are also shown. Clicking on a character will bring up a pull-down menu with multiple choices, including Friend (moves them to Friends and adds you to their Friends), Decline (removes them from Admirers), Whisper and Invite.

Pull-down menus will be added to the top bar where the name of a selected character is shown and to the UI showing party members. These menus will include commands for Friend, Unfriend, Accept Friend, Decline Friend, Invite, Trade and/or Whisper, as appropriate. Friend status will also be added to those UIs so you can tell if you're already friends with each character.

If a character receiving a new friend request is online at the time, they'll get an immediate alert through which they can either accept or decline the request. If a character logs on and has new friend requests since the last time the Admirers list was viewed, then they'll get an alert that links them directly to the Admirers list or can be dismissed.

If a character being friended is online at the time, they'll get an immediate alert that links them directly to the Friends list or can be dismissed. If a character logs on and has new friends since the last time the Friends list was viewed, then they'll get a similar alert.

Friends Lists can also be managed using the following chat commands:
  • /Friend <optional CharacterName>: Sends friend request to CharacterName if specified, or else to currently selected character. Accepts friend request if that person is already an Admirer.
  • /Unfriend <optional CharacterName>: Unfriends CharacterName if specified, or else currently selected character. Declines friend request if that person is already an Admirer. Will also withdraw an outstanding friend request.
  • /AcceptFriend <optional CharacterName>: Accepts friend request of CharacterName if specified, or else of currently selected character.
  • /DeclineFriend <optional CharacterName>: Declines friend request of CharacterName if specified, or else of currently selected character.
  • /ExportFriends <optional FilePath>: Exports the list of friend names to the specified file, or else to a default file.
  • /ImportFriends <optional FilePath>: Imports the list of friend names from the specified file, or else from a default file.

Thoughts?

Edit 1: Fixed copy/paste typo saying /DeclineFriend accepted a friend request, when it in fact declines the request. Also, /DeclineFriend won't withdraw an active friend request from you to another person, though /Unfriend will.
Gross
Good first step… highlights the need for a persistent messaging engine as a next step so as to be able to message as well as whisper.

Like the additions to the party menu especially, ability to trade / whisper handy
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).
Bringslite
+3!

These are the kinds of things that are expected in current MMOs and will help with retention. It is never too late to improve UI, "Quality of play/life" features, stimulating content, etc… as long as the lights are still on.

Thank You! smile

PS: Not just the fact that you are proposing it is great but that you are proposing it with cool features.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Maxen
If I had a RL “Admirers List” it would be pages long… smile

Great start Bob. My one immediate comment is that I would like to also see a ‘global friends’ option that allows you to friend and see a player regardless of which of the three characters they are playing. I may not always be on Maxen, but I’d want certain global friends to be able to reach me and ask if I’d like to group. (This is assuming I interpreted your post correctly that “Each character maintains separate lists…”)
Maxen
One more thing, and this is tangential to the friends list capability, but it would also be nice to see if settlement company members are online, perhaps by simply highlighting their name on the company roster. They would not be a ‘friend’ but at least you could whisper them to see if they’d like to team up.
Bob
Maxen
Great start Bob. My one immediate comment is that I would like to also see a ‘global friends’ option that allows you to friend and see a player regardless of which of the three characters they are playing. I may not always be on Maxen, but I’d want certain global friends to be able to reach me and ask if I’d like to group. (This is assuming I interpreted your post correctly that “Each character maintains separate lists…”)

You interpreted that correctly. We're hoping to work an Also Plays As concept into this eventually, but we probably won't be able to get to that before we need to move on to Enchanting. For now, your best bet will be making liberal use of export and import to synch your friends up between accounts.
Bob
Maxen
One more thing, and this is tangential to the friends list capability, but it would also be nice to see if settlement company members are online, perhaps by simply highlighting their name on the company roster. They would not be a ‘friend’ but at least you could whisper them to see if they’d like to team up.

We are indeed planning to extend things like online status and a commands UI to other places like company membership lists. Don't want to make any promises on exactly when we'll be able to get to that until we see how long it takes to get them on the friends lists first.
Demiurge
It is not a feature I would use. I like being able to pop on and do a bit of quiet gathering without anyone knowing I am around.
Maxen
Demiurge
It is not a feature I would use. I like being able to pop on and do a bit of quiet gathering without anyone knowing I am around.

Oh, right. To that end, we need a “hide” feature. City of Heroes had that option, which I exercised when I got on for a bit and didn’t want to be bothered.
Bob
Maxen
Oh, right. To that end, we need a “hide” feature. City of Heroes had that option, which I exercised when I got on for a bit and didn’t want to be bothered.

That's another bit we'd like to get to, but may not go in right away. Currently, anyone can check to see if you're on by whispering at you, so we'll initially be fairly consistent with that, though admittedly in a way that makes it even easier to check in on people. On the other hand, this will at least be restricted to Friends at first, and perhaps company members soon after. However, we intend to add a privacy feature eventually that covers every way to check someone's online status.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post