Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Low Pop Managing Big Cities

Bringslite
@Bob
Even though I am sure that many of us are appreciative of the "6 month" build up for Settlement expenses, there aren't that many players to do the work. Can't speak for everyone here but the constant drain on "FUN" of having to #1 Run multiple companies and #2 Having to move the bulk to and fro is getting to me.

I realize that "Moving Bulk and so risking loss" was an important concept in the original setup for the game, but is it really still relevant? Is there something that can be done to eliminate some "CHORE" and add some "FUN" or at least just dump the "CHORE" part?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Stilachio Thrax
Its not just settlement management that has this problem. Right now a lot of the game systems might be fun with a large population, but without a large population they just wear on you- escalations, for instance, no one want to do the low level ones as they are a terrible return on time investment and as a result someone always draws the short straw and has to sleepwalk through another Goblin Raid to clear it out. Expendables and recipes only available by RNG drop, only crafted gear available, no remote auction sales/item pickup, no fast travel for long distances- all add up to making things a bigger chore than they need to be right now.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Azure_Zero
@Bringslite
I agree that the Bulk moving is a royal pain and very unfun given the current population.
Thankfully I only run two companies one for each settlement, but it is still a pain when you only have one great combat character and need to defend two settlements from monster raids.

If you want to add a fun factor to your Bulk runs you could always lower the security level and tempt the bandits into the area to break the boring same old, same old.
While I would agree losing stuff sucks, but the excitement of something unexpected happening keeps me on my toes.

Stilachio Thrax
I don't mind having the Low end escalations since I then don't need to worry about being monster raided as much and I don't mind doing the T1 and Raid escalations since equipment can get expensive to replace for me since I can only make T2 stuff and my settlements can really only support T2 training, though I hope to at least give entry level T3 support at a later time since my nation is the smallest of the 3 nations on the server, even if the AL is came back.
Bringslite
Azure_Zero
@Bringslite
I agree that the Bulk moving is a royal pain and very unfun given the current population.
Thankfully I only run two companies one for each settlement, but it is still a pain when you only have one great combat character and need to defend two settlements from monster raids.

If you want to add a fun factor to your Bulk runs you could always lower the security level and tempt the bandits into the area to break the boring same old, same old.
While I would agree losing stuff sucks, but the excitement of something unexpected happening keeps me on my toes.

Stilachio Thrax
I don't mind having the Low end escalations since I then don't need to worry about being monster raided as much and I don't mind doing the T1 and Raid escalations since equipment can get expensive to replace for me since I can only make T2 stuff and my settlements can really only support T2 training, though I hope to at least give entry level T3 support at a later time since my nation is the smallest of the 3 nations on the server, even if the AL is came back.
I like the idea behind your suggestion. Unfortunately there has been more live play time without Security settings than there has been with Security Settings… During all of this previous play time there were more active players than there are now. Where were the bandits back then?
It doesn't seem like bandits are interested in Bulk Resources as loot. Yeah Bulk is more important now but there is still lots of territory that I pass through now which is lower than "High Sec" and no bandits show up. Likely because of the near impossibility of finding someone.
It doesn't seem like it is a relevant feature for the game at this point. More like just a chore that could be removed for the sake of more "FUN" time doing other things.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
You are a Troll
Sounds like you need to downsize rather than ask the Devs to tweak the game to your specific liking again.
Demiurge
Whilst I can understand the desire to be able to logon once a week and still manage to maintain 12 settlements without hassle … ummh no
Bringslite
I manage one settlement. I just do not find spending much of my play time hauling slow mules as fun. If that isn't an unpleasant way to spend time for anyone else, I'm cool with it staying as is. Should never change game mechanics for just one player. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Get a medium or large mule, put on some nice music, get some snacks and a beer and treat it as a meditative exercise ?

The groups like Keepers, PFU etc that have taken the sensible approach of focusing on a single settlement until population picks up are generally doing fine as is. I would be wary of changes that mainly benefit the groups out there that seem to have taken on more settlements then they have players.

My personal interest is more in terms of missing things we were promised like the ability to attach characters with relevant skills to holdings to boost their production - or more general features like multiple craft queues and basic contracts (basically our current trades but extended to work with remote or offline characters).
Bringslite
What I really want to examine is- What is the purpose behind us having to do this hauling? Is the purpose really still relevant and will it ever be relevant?

Will Bandits ever be into intercepting Bulk Resources? Are Bulk Resources even worth the trouble? They are perfectly safe to transport across High Sec hexes so why need they be hauled by players? Will bandits ever initiate feuds to be able to attack and take them?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Bringslite
What I really want to examine is- What is the purpose behind us having to do this hauling? Is the purpose really still relevant and will it ever be relevant?

Will Bandits ever be into intercepting Bulk Resources? Are Bulk Resources even worth the trouble? They are perfectly safe to transport across High Sec hexes so why need they be hauled by players? Will bandits ever initiate feuds to be able to attack and take them?

Pretty sure feuding another company on the highly remote chance of finding a mule from a character in that company would be a complete waste. All the guy with the mule has to do is hop companies anyway. This assumes you would even know who to feud in the first place.

One thing to fix this is to change how the hi/low/mid sec hexes work, but muling is still a bore even with just focusing on one settlement at a time (which I agree with Edam is the best way to go).
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post