Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Future of Sanctified Attacks

Maxen
I think this all comes down to what the developers intended for sanctified attacks. All weapon types have a 'sanctified' option. While I know each deity has a "preferred" weapon (i.e. scimitar for Sarenrae which doesn't exist in game yet), I would certainly hope the intent was not to force clerics to use and only use the preferred weapon of their deity to get the sanctified keyword. This is supposed to be a game where I can build whatever character I want as long as I spend the XP on it.

This is not a question of making meaningful choices. There were no meaningful choices to make. If I wanted to use a light hammer and get the sanctified key word, I was forced to take attacks for a light mace that happened to name Asmodeus in the feat description. Incidentally, to take those attacks, you are required to take the Fire Domain, which names both Asmodeus and Sarenrae.

Regardless of how Bob responds to the OP, I look forward to it.
Bringslite
harneloot
All the clerics I know/knew were planning their builds with their chosen deities in mind, and purchased (or didn't purchase) feats accordingly…sometime even purchasing feats that were sub-optimal in hopes that when Alignment & Deities came in there would be synergies or effects or bonuses or restrictions on others that it would make up the difference.

I have taken things like Touch of Darkness on some of my characters during early stages of development. For some others that I care to RP, I have gone RP style and NOT taken it. That is not the point as it isn't about me. It is more about the high price of the game and the lack of warning for anyone that didn't get the info about alignments if they started the game AFTER the announcement. They may have not had the opportunity to know this possible "restriction" but took what they saw as affective attacks/utilities/difficult feat lines.

If you all are right(about how it should go down), which you may or may not be, the communication for the game to new players has been broken and lacking. This goes without mentioning that this happens quite a lot already in other areas and does naught but raise questions concerning whether this game is even fairly finished enough to charge a premium price to play. That seriously aggravates positive retention capability.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
harneloot
Agreed - there is outdated and missing info all over the place and an *official* PFO Discord channel that is all but empty of anyone playing the game. None of that paints a very positive picture about the health and vibrancy of the game and its player base. Hopefully much of that will change before OE.
Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
Maxen
Edited a misstatement and ended up as a double post…
Bob
Here's what was posted in the release notes for EE 4.2 when these kinds of things were originally added:

Added divine attacks for Light Knife (Desna), One-Handed Blunt (Asmodeus), One-Handed Fencing (Norgorber), One-Handed Sword (Iomedae and Sarenrae), Piercing Polearm (Gozreh), and Two-Handed Sword (Gorum and Lamashtu). They are all trainable at the Seminary. These are currently trainable with the associated deity's domains as a prerequisite, but will eventually be a faction-reward for membership in the appropriate church. You will NOT be allowed to unlearn these Feats or be refunded XP for these Feats if you do not worship the associated deity and can no longer slot the Feat once church factions and alignments go live.

[Cut larger list of specific attacks with specific deity/weapon info, see original blog post for details.]

Added Channel Positive Energy and Channel Negative Energy utility feats at the Temple. These are currently trainable to anyone who meets the requirements, but will eventually be a faction-reward for membership in the appropriate church. You will NOT be allowed to unlearn these Feats or be refunded XP for these Feats if you do not worship the associated deity and can no longer slot the Feat once church factions and alignments go live. Channel Positive Energy will be available to Good aligned Deities, Channel Negative Energy available to Evil aligned deities, and both will be available to Neutral aligned deities.

So yes, the intention has always been that deity-specific feats require that you essentially be a follower of that deity with good (or even exceptional) standing with that deity to make use of them, and that's a large reason why the deities made it into the roadmap.

The points made above that all those statements were made with an expectation that all players were paying close attention to the blog posts, and that those deity restrictions would be in the game sooner rather than later, are well taken. The feat descriptions for the sanctified attacks on the trainer window do at least state that they're faction attacks for specific deities, but don't go into detail about what that means, and there isn't any mention of good/evil on the channeling feats.

We haven't decided exactly how this will all play out, but I can pretty much guarantee that learning deity-specific feats for deities you don't plan on following will turn around and bite you to at least some degree. Exactly what degree is still to be decided, and we'll discuss that in more detail when we get closer to implementing deities. Until then, I'll take a look at adding more warnings to the feat descriptions.
Maxen
Thank you Bob for providing that research. Received and understood. But one more question. If I want to be a hammer wielding cleric of Sarenrae, will I eventually have access to the sanctified keyword, or should I just continue training the mundane hammer attack feats?
Bringslite
Thanks, Bob!
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
Maxen
Thank you Bob for providing that research. Received and understood. But one more question. If I want to be a hammer wielding cleric of Sarenrae, will I eventually have access to the sanctified keyword, or should I just continue training the mundane hammer attack feats?

Channel Smite and Channel Force are multi-weapon attacks that have the sanctified keyword.
Bob
Maxen

It's more about whether or not you'll still have access to specific feats than to specific keywords. As a worshiper of Sarenrae, you'll certainly have access to the sanctified attacks associated with her (including both those specific to her and those for any deity favoring one-handed swords), and through those access to the sanctified keyword, but they won't do you any good since you can't slot them with your hammer.

In terms of existing sanctified hammer attacks, it seems unlikely that a worshiper of Sarenrae will have much access to those feats in the future. The ones associated with Asmodeus are particularly probematic, first off because they'll eventually be restricted to light maces, and secondly because Asmodeus and Sarenrae don't exactly get along and are too far off alignment-wise for us to ever let clerics get support from both of them (assuming we ever ever considered something along those lines, which is a bit of a stretch to begin with).

The more general one-handed blunt sanctified attacks are a little more questionable, in that all we've really said about those is that they'd require a deity that uses one-handed blunt weapons. Sarenrae doesn't obviously qualify, and overall it looks like we meant to restrict her to one-handed swords, so support seems unlikely to come from there. Should we eventually include Torag in our deities, and in turn allow you to be favored by multiple deities, then maybe (really, just maybe) some support could come from there. However, though they are relatively close in alignment, there's enough friction between Torag and Sarenrae that we might consider them antagonistic and not allow you to be favored by both factions at the same time. Perhaps some other deity would eventually do the trick, but that's really grasping at straws.
Bob
Azure_Zero
Channel Smite and Channel Force are multi-weapon attacks that have the sanctified keyword.

Good catch. Those are interesting because they're not actually designed as faction feats, and you're not specifically focused on a particular weapon when learning them. As a result, they don't really fall in the deity-specific category. Looks like they were meant as generic sanctified attacks that clerics could use for multiple deity/weapon combinations, so they're safe to learn.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post