Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

EE16/Roadmap

Bringslite
Nonsense. We have a sort of working "respec" system in the Support System. If you do not have the support, you lose use of some of the skills that you had before. Skills are like Gates also in most case for other skills. Lose the use of some and you can already lose the use of others. Skills are "bought gates" while other gates are "worked for" gates. There is nothing mandatory that "worked for" gates need be affected at all in a "respec" feature.

There are many, let's call them "original concepts", that were and are great ideas and good for the game. In turn, there are others that are not really that great or necessary. The concept of not allowing respecs and not thereby charging a fee for them is a pigheaded, missed opportunity for an INCOME STREAM. Time has changed the MMORPG market. Clinging stubbornly to EVERY old Dogmatic policy is only a recipe for a slow death.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Sorry … but respecs in an unlimited XP - no XP cap game is probably one of the most poorly thought out ideas that regularly gets suggested on a forum that is renowned for poorly thought out insanely stupid suggestions.

1) it instantly converts to pay-to-win . Anyone that is cashed up simply completely rebuilds there character everytime there is a nerf or change to the game mechanics. The poor suckers with limited cash get stuck with whatever they had trained before the change
2) It gives older vet players a massive advantage over new players. If a new powerful role or system comes in the vets can INSTANTLY respec and max it out whereas new players have to struggle for XP and take months. Currently we are all in the same boat.
3) it makes exploiting broken mechanics even more tempting … "well they might nerf this shortly but who cares I will train it now and respec later"
4) unlike level capped games which NEED respec options because what you train now will eventually lock you out of stuff later there is no way they are even slightly necessary here. No level cap means that: nothing you trained in the past in PFO will ever prevent you maxing out something else later on.
5) the dynamic nature of this game and the way achievements and abilities work as gateways make PFO particularly unsuited to the OCD types that want a neat tidy min/max character with no wasted feats or skills. Respeccing is not ever going to really help them much its just the wrong game for them
Azure_Zero
Edam hits a number of points on the head and that is JUST the tip of the iceberg of the damage/cheats/exploits/Problems that Allowing Respecs in the will bring.

As adding respecs will bring Unforeseen Consequences to the game, and I don't think anyone involved can or will be prepared for the Consequences that it'll bring.
One of these Consequences could be lead to the Final Nail in the coffin for the game and it dies with no chance of recovery.
Remember some ideas seem great and look to lead to prosperity, but are the worst ideas and lead to ruin.
Bringslite
Meh! If you do not open your mind to suggesting better ways for Paizo to generate income, this game will not get anywhere populated within a reasonable span of time.

We are here generating pros and cons of ideas while giving predictions of the results of those, positive or negative. All the while we don't really have a clue how Paizo would implement them. Neither side has data to back up our gut feelings about long term results.

Like anything, if done wrong, it will cause problems. If done right it adds options and playability to a game.

I see some persons suggesting things to try and make the game better, more lucrative so there can be improvements made, and so there might be players that stick around more than a few months when trying it out. I see others who seem to be so afraid of changing the "status quo" that they are unwilling to recognize that change (especially cash generation) is needed.

At least I think that Paizo can take ideas and work them through on their own as I don't have the will to rebut every argument and stay sane. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
BlackMoria
Respecs could work if all the gateways and feats/skills were reset to zero, which makes the most sense because with a respec, who knows how that XP is being reallocated. In short, pay a respec and your character gets reset to zero so the character is in essence essentially a new character with a huge pool of XP, who then has to grind all the achievements and gateways again. I am fine with that. If the suggestion is a respec where you keep all the gateways and achievements, then my two cents is not only NO but HELL NO to the suggestion.
Bringslite
BlackMoria
Respecs could work if all the gateways and feats/skills were reset to zero, which makes the most sense because with a respec, who knows how that XP is being reallocated. In short, pay a respec and your character gets reset to zero so the character is in essence essentially a new character with a huge pool of XP, who then has to grind all the achievements and gateways again. I am fine with that. If the suggestion is a respec where you keep all the gateways and achievements, then my two cents is not only NO but HELL NO to the suggestion.
Not my favorite end result of such a feature but at least it would both make it a more meaningful choice and give something to do with other players for some group activities.

Not sure it would sell as well but that is a personal choice.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
Resetting the achievement Gates is Not enough, as that WILL be abused for influence generation if that is the case.
Recall the 1000 point alts being made then deleted for easy influence production in the early start of influence in the game it was exploited to Heck by a Large Number of people and or groups.
If they go the reset gate route then they'll need to forcefully set the influence gain to the slowest to hinder the thought of abusing the influence system with respecs.
Maxen
Make it a one time purchase option per character. There, no abuse.

Make it affordable, but a meaningful cash item. $10.99? Spare me the “not everyone can afford it” argument. If you can afford a monthly sub to play the game, skip a pack of cigarettes or a couple supersize meals from McDonalds and just pay for it. Sacrifices can be made.

Don’t offer it until 6 months to a year after Open Enrollment to allow for final tweaks and game stabilization. Now all future feat rebalancing or feat additions impacts the entire OE subscriber base. Respec now, or save it. It becomes a meaningful choice to decide when you want to pull the trigger.

And most importantly, reset ALL gates. As someone pointed out, a Day One respec character is no different than a brand new OE character, except that they have a boat load of XP. They still have to play the game and break the gates again, but they can erase all of the trial and error and mechanics rebalancing mistakes made throughout Early Enrollment. New and future players are already reaping the benefits of veteran knowledge and (hopefully) not making the same trial and error missteps that we made. Knowledge that we paid real cash to earn.
Maxen
Azure_Zero
Resetting the achievement Gates is Not enough, as that WILL be abused for influence generation if that is the case.
Recall the 1000 point alts being made then deleted for easy influence production in the early start of influence in the game it was exploited to Heck by a Large Number of people and or groups.
If they go the reset gate route then they'll need to forcefully set the influence gain to the slowest to hinder the thought of abusing the influence system with respecs.

Again, you make arguments that can be solved through programming. Yes, abusing systems for influence generation is bad. Hence, goodbye trial accounts. Make it so that a respec character can’t begin contributing to influence again until they reach their incluence contribution level at the time they respec’d their character. Surely that number is stored in a spreadsheet somewhere. If it’s not, the devs can draw a reasonable line in the sand.
You are a Troll
Maxen
And most importantly, reset ALL gates. As someone pointed out, a Day One respec character is no different than a brand new OE character, except that they have a boat load of XP. They still have to play the game and break the gates again, but they can erase all of the trial and error and mechanics rebalancing mistakes made throughout Early Enrollment. New and future players are already reaping the benefits of veteran knowledge and (hopefully) not making the same trial and error missteps that we made. Knowledge that we paid real cash to earn.

I agree with Edam that Respec is not a good idea - after all we are always earning xp, so why the need to respec instead of just accumulating more to buy more feats?

BUT - your point above that I highlighted is a good one and one I think could help retain subscribers and be an interesting new twist on the xp over time mechanic rather than the grind and level mechanic. However it needs this twist: front load all xp purchases! You pay for a month - you get ALL that xp up front. Pay for a year? SAME DEAL - you get ALL the year's worth of xp at once in your account. If you are afraid of abuse, then limit the amount of XP that can be gathered at one time to 6 months or l month or whatever but give people the total amount of xp when they pay for it. Even on a 1 year subscription, give the total month xp at the beginning of each month. This will give players - especially new players - a reason to kill goblins or use a focus, so they can spend all that lovely xp on the feats that killing the goblins opens up to them.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post