Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE16/Roadmap

Paddy Fitzpatrick
Alright well I am not so much of a pie in the sky kind of guy that I am unwilling to accept anything else. So if the things I suggest aren't viable in the near term (even though you can adjust the achievement system so you cant learn every skill in three months time). So here are some revised thoughts, and I do admit I am taking a shot in the dark here since I dont know all the numbers…

So if we must keep passive xp and must keep a sub model, here are some ideas…

1) Go with the suggestion of free trial for one month, $5 per month after that per character slot. Maybe increase the max slots for folks who like controlling 5+ toons. That way it satisfies people like me who wanna stick to one or maybe two toons tops and leaves room for people who like going hog wild on alts to not have to buy many accounts.

For DTs, have their subs be a two for one deal. They can tack on more slots too, which then enables a DT account to have more than just those two characters gaining xp (which if I understand correctly the inability to change the toon getting the xp was a bug for some time).

2) You could tweak the rate of XP gain perhaps. Or another idea, once you get an achievement gate to max level you can gain a smidgen of supplemental xp by doing the task that maxed it out. Maybe get a bit more xp per 1000 kills with a maxed out weapon. It shouldn't be much but would certainly be an incentive for sticking with a primary weapon and reward further use of it. Same with maxed out crafting or gathering.

3) Do NOT put the ability to get raw mats, recipes, or get past gates on the cash shop for ANY reason. I say this as someone who abhors the gates required for crafting and if the system was adjusted I may enjoy the crafting system. Believe it or not I do like crafting in some MMOs as much as I like PvP and I would like to see this aspect changed.

But not like this. Paywalls are the very essence of pay to win.

4) In the same vein, no loot boxes. Just dont, period.

5) Yeah I know art stuff will not be quick to come out but do your best to do so. Even if it is just more color options for our gear or color changes for weapons. Maybe some silly stuff like glitter particles for some spells or something. Yes I would buy it and totally run around dressed like a villain out of a vampire movie while sporting a magical unicorn staff that shoots sparkles with its spells. Or maybe go let some fighter go full black metal or something. I know I am getting ahead of myself to say the least but just some long term ideas that may be worth shooting for in the future.

6) Alcohol. Put alcohol in the game, I am serious. Have a cash shop brewery place to make it, come up with mats and recipes and maybe make it part of alchemy or apothecary. I dunno what you want booze to actually do once made but hey it could give those kickstarter breweries that people got a function. If different kinds of alcohol do cool stuff then it could be a nice thing to sell on the AH. Naturally you gotta go around and find the recipes in game and you can have different tiers of booze for each type. Think of it like Amstel Light as T1 beer (cause Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light and the like aren't actually beer), Yuengling or Sam Adams as T2, and a good full bodied porter, IPA, or imperial stout at T3.

Hell you can make one for each type. A brewery for beer, winery for wine, and distillery for hard liquor. Have those kickstarter taverns and things at level do them all.

I admit number 6 isnt essential but it would be awesome and more importantly something just to get the creative gears turning. Here is something that is in the spirit of crafting studios, adds something new, and adds functionality to a kickstarter reward. Obviously dont go beyond what you guys are capable of doing but if nothing else consider 5 and 6 more of an inspiration for something that you guys might be able to do.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Bringslite
I can hardly wait to see if anything comes out of all of this. Would be interesting. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Smitty
Things I agree with that should be done - and some other stuff

1. reduce the sub price to $5 … ( already said and should be looked at seriously - the competing products for $15 don’t make sense for most consumers)

2.Make trial accounts / free accounts active and able to be played for free ( already said)
- limit all transactions to T1 only
- no leadership in any company/ settlement
- no use of skills than T1 - no use of equipment higher than T1
- if you can swing it - no or very reduced influence generation for non subbed accounts.

3. finish the core races/classes–
-. we need the core races ( even if gnomes look like skinny dwarves, and half elf’s look human, Halfling can be short elf ?), the stats are easy enough to enter on a spread sheet . ( add art assets if we pick up players, but at the very least make them an option to be played )
- Same the core classes ( even if a druid doesn’t have a pet. etc . ) put them in the game somehow, give them some abilities that match what we are able to provide. But make them an option even if it is a shell of what the option is.

4. (rehash of idea from a long time ago) - Let new players pick a package of feats and abilities - right now if I want a necromancer - I need to know to go to 3 different places spread over thornkeep - and then figure out how to slot all that - along the way don’t spend all my xp on the 80 other cantrips that I don’t want. - and hope that doesn’t take the first hour of play time ..

Think part of the problem - is a player comes in and says I want to be a _____ . then has to work for an hour to find what abilities are considered ______. (I think in the long run the freedom and mixing and matching of the features and attacks and variations among the roles is a strength of the game). But for a New player - We need to Give them a package- I want to be a ____ . and include everything that allows them to hit the ground running to be a _____. The first of playing should be about running around and fighting stuff / gathering some perhaps .. not looking at a map and reading a wall of text about what to buy/ who from and where they are - so they can feel like the ____ they wanted to be when they installed the game .
-
5. for additional XP rework all those npc quest - make some of the repeatable - have them tiered - and instead of coin - give them xp rewards - that way if a new guy comes in gets a package - decides to try cleric - but then switches to rogue - they have an option to go out and kill stuff to get the xp they need to start rogue stuff – as opposed to hearing in general well if you wait 2 days you will have xp to spend.. put some limitations on how many you can have - how often you can request same one - etc . But instead of reworking the entire XP system- This would fill the pathfinder feel of go out kill monsters get XP void..
Have some more but think those are a good start - not sure if they have huge impacts - but could get us pointed in the right direction.
Krillnar
I agree with core material and "archetype" packages for faster character creation. It makes me think of 2e ancestry/class feats.

It's been awhile since my last new character, are there any "become a cleric/fighter/rogue/wizard" starting quests?
Bringslite
Krillnar
I agree with core material and "archetype" packages for faster character creation. It makes me think of 2e ancestry/class feats.

It's been awhile since my last new character, are there any "become a cleric/fighter/rogue/wizard" starting quests?

Yes, kind of. Right when you start the game. Talk to the NPCs in that very hex. In four corners of the hex you can find more NPCs with small series of quests that are for the core roles.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Maxen
To put a slightly different twist on Paddy's XP suggestion, what about XP scaling with each max gate you hit. Not a flat XP award, but a 1% bump in your XP per hour. Max out 10 gates, now your earning 110xp per hour. That's not pay to win. That's play to win.
Gross
Maxen
To put a slightly different twist on Paddy's XP suggestion, what about XP scaling with each max gate you hit. Not a flat XP award, but a 1% bump in your XP per hour. Max out 10 gates, now your earning 110xp per hour. That's not pay to win. That's play to win.
+1 would give me an incentive to actually go to L10/11/14/20 - I currently don't bother hitting max as the increasing cost per level makes it a no brainer to spread it around for me at present.

I am assuming attacks / defensives / reactives / expendables are excluded (as I have a lot more than 10 things at L5/6/9 and it is nowhere near the effort / focus / time of feature / upgrade to max)
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).
Lisa Stevens
Btw, I just wanted to let everyone now that I am reading all these ideas. I don't want to weigh in on them as I love the creativity that has been engendered, and me weighing in could squash somebody's great idea. I may ask questions like I did with Bringslite, just so I understand what is being proffered. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write your thoughts.

-Lisa
Bringslite
Lisa Stevens
Btw, I just wanted to let everyone now that I am reading all these ideas. I don't want to weigh in on them as I love the creativity that has been engendered, and me weighing in could squash somebody's great idea. I may ask questions like I did with Bringslite, just so I understand what is being proffered. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write your thoughts.

-Lisa
Thanks for saying so, Lisa. I've slowed down because I don't want to argue with everyone and I don't want to repeat the same points over and over. Good, in that case, to know that you have read them.

Plus we appreciate knowing that you are looking our efforts over just in general. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Naia
Sure hiring artist to make new game art costs a lot of money, but there are a lot of ordinary people out there, who are very good at this kind of stuff and are already doing it for fun. Why not try and reach out to them ?

Here are two examples. First from the game Morrowind. A comparison between the original game assets and a modded version. Just watch the video, the guy explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxzi3GnwMB4

Second example is the game Kerbal Space Program. While this is a fairly popular game, it's really not that special, and yet it got 44 pages of mods ranging from simple retextures of original game assets, to huge mods whit several new mechanics, parts and functionality.

https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods
Now these are both single player games and of course things have to be different for an online game. The point I'm trying to make, is that there is a resource here you could try and tap into. People who are already doing these kind of things, for free, because they enjoy it and like to show off their work to other gamers.

I think some of these people would be intrigued by the idea of having their work added officially to a game. Especially if you as company would approach this in a humble manner and ask for help to make your game. It could perhaps generate some positive attention among a wider audience.

Start out whit something simple. I believe Bob at some point mentioned having visually different models for different tier armour. That could be a good starting point.
You guys know what programs you use and what format you would need it in.

Several way you could approach this so it's not going to create a lot of new work. Submissions to the forums and having people vote for the winners, a sort of screening panel whit a few trusted people to verify things are as specified and finally forwarding a few submissions to the team for final approval. Or however else that would make it easy for you guys.

Some simple legal agreement so you get the rights to anything submitted, and even if people are doing it for free, you could still reward whit things like custom forum titles, an in game monument whit peoples names, whatever. Possibilities are endless.

Of course it not going to happen overnight, but considering almost no new art have been added since 2015, even small and simple stuff would be progress.
If it's successful you can raise the bar and look for people who can do landscaping or building art, eventually even new character and monster models whit animations.
Or how about some new sounds.

What have you got to loose ?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post