Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

EE16/Roadmap

Bob
There are potential ways to get externally-produced art or other content into the game, but doing so tends to be tricky for a variety of technical, logistical and legal reasons. We've yet to figure out a way to get around all those issues that's resulted in new published art, but we do keep considering various opportunities for adding more art as they arise.
Nails
XP
I like the idea of a hybrid XP system, current model + achievement/play time variable XP. But if this was done, I would suggest that all things that XP is used for go up in XP cost on a sharp, almost exponential curve at higher levels. Same for gates,crafting, expendables, etc.

Right now a wizard can learn a level 7 spell for about 20K XP, level 8 for 29.5K XP and level 9 wizard spell for 49K XP fro 41.3K. If you you go with a steeper curve, level 7 might cost 50K, level 8 120K, and level 9 280K.

Game Costs

There are too many games out there today that are free to play, but have options of purchasing things in game.
Personally I think the game should be free for 1 toon, limited to tier 1. Going to T2/T3 costs $5/month, adding a 2nd and 3rd toon costs an additional $5/toon.

Then sell something like life insurance for $2/month/toon. If you die, all the current rules apply to your toon such as item durability dropping, but maybe you spawn closer, without life insurance you have to wait 5 or 10 minutes before respawning and maybe your are farther away. With life insurance you spawn instantly and closer to the point where you died. You could also increase the durability of items if you have life insurance.

I would advocate selling basic items for real money at a goblinworks store, but things people may need in a pinch including weapons, mules, harvesting kits, implements, potions, but these items have limitations, maybe a durability of 5 or a recipe that you can only use 1 time, and none of the purchased items can be enchantable. Player crafted items must be of a higher quality.

You could also offer things for crafters, like an extra crafting queue for your current refining/crafting skill for an additional $5/month or maybe the $5 doubles the rate of crafting for an item which effectively does the same thing. You could also offer crafting insurance that increases the odd of getting crits on crafted items.

I am sure if we all thought about it, there are plenty of ways to generate revenue in game without making it seem like it is pay to win.

Player Crafted Content

If there is any way to add player crafted content, do it, you will gain a group of people who would love to craft quests, dungeons, etc and then play them. You could have a group of people who get on the test server and evaluate the player made content and then when they are good with it, pass it off to Bob and Cole to test.

Nails
Starchild
1. Pathfinder flavour. I'm not a tabletop Pathfinder player although I do play several traditional RPGs so I'll stay out of the "Make it more Pathfinder-y" discussion as that wasn't what appealed to me. I came here like most of the other Golgothans to found an empire and hold it by force of arms. That needs population and so that is my main requirement.

2. XP Method. I like the current system to be honest - maybe just rename achievements as XP and rename XP as "Training Points" if it helps. Change the achievement level 10 cap to be in keeping with the earlier progression levels and increase the cap to 20 (or whatever) so that people can keep earning achievements even if they are no longer required. Remove the 30 point stat cap too and let people increase stats beyond that (the extra doesn't need to do anything initially people will still want to increase it). Oh and give us an elite wolf slayer achievement please!

3. Store Content. No bright ideas here really, just to agree with the idea of character renames, re-spec options, character appearance/race changes, and other stuff that would require art so I'll shut up smile

4. Subscription Model. I am no expert in this area but FTP doesn't appeal to me at all. A lower level of subscription with a reducing incremental charge to subscribe 2,3,4+ toons per account seems like the logical way to go. Having some free component either time-limited or limited to tier one skills seems like a sensible option as long as it is monitored for abuse.

5. What else to put in? I quite like the idea of having some fluff like the alcohol suggestion already mentioned. I'd like to see the broken hexes that can't have holdings in them, fixed - or stick a blue shield in them and pretend they were meant to be that way smile. Maybe take out the "blank" player settlements as that density of settlements would never work with anything like the current system. I'd keep the NPC settlements as a bit of random flavour but maybe tweak them a bit - maybe one could be populated by goblins if that works with the lore?

6. PvP Rewards. Some kind of ranking/renown system might be nice to see but I appreciate that would be a coding headache. Settlement warfare doesn't seem to work too well but I think we need more players back playing to know this for sure.

I'll give it some more thought and append anything else I come up with but was nagged into responding quickly!

Starchild
Doom! Nightstalkers, evil crafters and bandits, Oh my!
Edam
Starchild
1. Pathfinder flavour. I'm not a tabletop Pathfinder player although I do play several traditional RPGs so I'll stay out of the "Make it more Pathfinder-y" discussion as that wasn't what appealed to me. I came here like most of the other Golgothans to found an empire and hold it by force of arms. That needs population and so that is my main requirement.
"Make it more Pathfinder-y" can mean many things … more like the Tabletop game in terms of rules … or more like Pathfinder in terms of the setting and the roleplay … or maybe even more like pathfinder society and the organised play. One thing that Pathfinder tabletop is NOT however is PvP focussed and especially not in the male focused nerd-gate fashion many PvP games are. In some ways the PvP aspirations of the game have always been at odds with the pathfinder roots.
    Starchild
    2. XP Method. I like the current system to be honest - maybe just rename achievements as XP and rename XP as "Training Points" if it helps. Change the achievement level 10 cap to be in keeping with the earlier progression levels and increase the cap to 20 (or whatever) so that people can keep earning achievements even if they are no longer required. Remove the 30 point stat cap too and let people increase stats beyond that (the extra doesn't need to do anything initially people will still want to increase it). Oh and give us an elite wolf slayer achievement please!

I also like the current system. It is not actually broken and nor am I in favour of anything that lets people accelerate character development by either playing heaps OR by paying heaps of cash. The biggest issues seems to be the baggage the term XP brings with it.
      Starchild
      3. Store Content. No bright ideas here really, just to agree with the idea of character renames, re-spec options, character appearance/race changes, and other stuff that would require art so I'll shut up smile
      The current shop with the adventures cottage buffs etc has a slight Pay to Win spin to it.

Fortnite makes an absolute fortune out of selling battle passes that just give players the OPPORTUNITY to get access to cosmetic stuff like outfits, funny weapons skins, character emotes and victory dances. Just saying.
        Starchild
        4. Subscription Model. I am no expert in this area but FTP doesn't appeal to me at all. A lower level of subscription with a reducing incremental charge to subscribe 2,3,4+ toons per account seems like the logical way to go. Having some free component either time-limited or limited to tier one skills seems like a sensible option as long as it is monitored for abuse.
        FTP is very much a quantity versus quality approach to player population. Some limited FTP mode that is not exploitable by the existing crew might work.
        Smitty
        Think you guys are way missing the point of the xp..

I really like the idea of reusing those quest guys that gave out coin - for an xp quest –
        Its not like going out and killing 200 or certain type of creature for 500 xp is going to break the game- or make things super cheap to T3 characters - when most are waiting months to buy the next rank of ____.

What killing 200 goblins for 500 - 1000 xp is going to do- is give the new players something to work on-
        If yall or worried about it - turn it off once you have 100k banked/spent xp - but YES! Giving players something do while logged in is a very good idea- it puts them in the game and lets them interact with us and other new players .. instead of feeling like they entered a ghost town..
        /
        We want people that log in and do stuff - and accelerate their characters as much as they can - that means they are playing and hopefully having a good time.. That means they have a better chance at playing the game for more than a month …
        current system is log in get 1k xp - try to figure what you want - kill some things - hit a road block of needing to get rank 2-3 attacks for a weapon - and then realizing it will take a week to learn all 6 attacks to rank 3 - or that it will take a week to get to t2 gathering .. accelerating that is precisely what should happen - if folks are playing a ton to do that - then the system is working..

I agree after a certain amount of total banked/ or spent should end those quest - but that number in my mind should be like 250k .. getting people to play and play a lot is a good thing ..
        Lisa Stevens
        Smitty

I really like the idea of reusing those quest guys that gave out coin - for an xp quest –
        Its not like going out and killing 200 or certain type of creature for 500 xp is going to break the game- or make things super cheap to T3 characters - when most are waiting months to buy the next rank of ____.

What killing 200 goblins for 500 - 1000 xp is going to do- is give the new players something to work on-
        If yall or worried about it - turn it off once you have 100k banked/spent xp - but YES! Giving players something do while logged in is a very good idea- it puts them in the game and lets them interact with us and other new players .. instead of feeling like they entered a ghost town..
        /
        We want people that log in and do stuff - and accelerate their characters as much as they can - that means they are playing and hopefully having a good time.. That means they have a better chance at playing the game for more than a month …
        current system is log in get 1k xp - try to figure what you want - kill some things - hit a road block of needing to get rank 2-3 attacks for a weapon - and then realizing it will take a week to learn all 6 attacks to rank 3 - or that it will take a week to get to t2 gathering .. accelerating that is precisely what should happen - if folks are playing a ton to do that - then the system is working..

I agree after a certain amount of total banked/ or spent should end those quest - but that number in my mind should be like 250k .. getting people to play and play a lot is a good thing ..

Hmmm, I will have to think about this for a bit, but I think you may have hit onto a good idea. We have to focus on that first 30 minutes of the new player being in the game, and after that, their first month. If they can play the game and get up to speed a bit faster, it may just invest them in the game enough to make them stay longer. I will talk with Bob about this on Monday.
        harneloot
        Smitty

/

Great idea. I also think front-loading the first month's (or first week's?) xp will help people feel like they are progressing at a pace in the beginning that will help them want to stay.
        Xyzzy - gatherer, yeoman archer, swamp monster.
        Bringslite
        Great point, Smitty.

Eventually tie these little quests into the gaining of "Faction Favor" or whatever you want to call it. Players always love to be able to add numbers to things that make their characters seem "more" powerful, influential and important to the world that they romp about in.

There should always be ways to grow character power that are not completely limited by having to wait for time to pass but rather by being active in playing the game. Piling up ore is great but there needs be more avenues.
        Virtute et Armis
        -Unknown
        Azure_Zero
        There is a Problem with that Great Idea Though

The New Player will then be expecting that Kills will always Generate Exp, and if told that it only applies until they reach X Exp, then they'll whine, ask why doesn't it apply all the time and push for high Exp caps for this system.
        Then your also setting a precedent for changing the system to a Kill = Exp System (with or without time giving Exp).
        And soon or later it'll be raise then raised more and after a while it'll be raised to the point where it'll be at or above what Day 1 characters have as Exp.
        Bringslite
        There will always be pressure to change things, There is in every game. Sometimes change is important and sometimes not. Some change is important at certain times and sometimes it is detrimental. The Devs have to decide when and how much it is needed.
        but
        You always need players in an MMO unless it is run by a very rich person for friends, like a personal private playground. I don't think that is the case here.
        Virtute et Armis
        -Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post