Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Enchanting

Bob
Here are our initial thoughts on Enchanting. This is still very much in flux, but wanted to get our early thoughts out there so we can more easily make adjustments based on your feedback.

Enchanting recipes (which will require ranks in Spellcrafting and will be added to the standard recipe loot drops) will use a single item from their Valid Enchant Groups as their first ingredient, and the result will be an enchanted version of that specific item. The first ingredient will not count as part of the standard calculation for the final plus of the output, but the final plus of the output must match the plus of the item being enchanted.

Enchanting recipes will use up to 3 other ingredients. The first of those ingredients will be one or more crystals, like those used in the recipes for various charges. The other ingredients will be refined largely from rare raw materials obtained through a mix of gathering (each raw material restricted to a single small area of the map, no gushers allowed) and looting (each item restricted to a single escalation). The final plus of the enchantment will be calculated in the standard way but based purely on those 1-3 additional ingredients, and again must match the plus of the item being enchanted.

Azoth will eventually be allowed eventually be allowed to increase the upgrade of the enchantment from 1 plus below the item being enchanted to the required matching plus, but that won't be part of the initial implementation.

The enchanted item will be renamed based on its enchantment (e.g. a Fine Circlet +3 could be enchanted to a Lesser Iconographer's Fine Circlet +3). It will continue to do everything it did before being enchanted, and will also gain some kind of effect for the character equipping it. The strength of that effect will be based on the plus of the enchanted item (e.g. at +2, a Lesser Iconographer's Fine Circlet might grant 9 bonus points to your Iconographer skill, while at +3 it might grant 10 bonus points). These effects will sometimes have limited maximums based on a character's capabilities prior to enchantments, so that characters can't take too much advantage of tiers and pluses that aren't really appropriate for their current level of advancement (particularly for crafting/refining enchantments that can be easily traded out when starting related projects).

Each enchantment might also add a keyword to the item, which could be taken advantage of by any feats that check that item's keywords (e.g. attack feats would notice weapon enchantment keywords, armor feats would notice armor enchantment keywords, utility feats would notice miscellaneous gear enchantment keywords), and eventually by magic item feats (when they're added).

Enchanted Items will each be worth (ItemTier-1)*6 + ItemPlus + 1 Enchantment Points, and characters won't be able to equip items that would bring their total Enchantment Points above their Maximum Enchantment Points. Characters will be able to increase their Maximum Enchantment Points by training ranks of the new Enchantment Points feat, which will be largely gated by Role Level. Characters could choose to wear just a few very powerful enchanted items, but because enchantments will generally have diminishing marginal returns, they'll usually be better off wearing a greater number of lower tiered/plused items.

Edit 1: The original plan was to allow enchantments to be upgraded up to the upgrade value of the item being enchanted, but the actual implementation requires that enchantments match the upgrade value of the item being enchanted.
Edam
Sounds good.

What I am unclear on is what the advantage of enchanting a a +4/+5 item versus a +3 item actually is. Do we actually get +4/+5 keywords ?
Bob
Edam
What I am unclear on is what the advantage of enchanting a a +4/+5 item versus a +3 item actually is. Do we actually get +4/+5 keywords ?

The keywords would be added regardless of the plus, so there's no big benefit there when enchanting a +4/+5 item. Instead, the benefit comes from the effect, usually a stat boost, where the formula for how much of an effect you get would generally be (ItemPlus x A) + B. For example, a Costume Ring +0 enchanted into a Lesser Costume Ring of Precision +0, assuming A is 1 and B is 3, would provide a bonus to Base Attack of 3. At +3, the bonus would be 6, at +4 the bonus would be 7, and at +5 the bonus would be 8. The biggest bump comes at +0, since B is more than A, and then there are diminishing returns after that, but there are still improvements all the way to +5.

For armor and weapons, the bulk of the upgrade advantage comes before enchanting, purely from the keywords, but enchanting at +4 and +5 does still give you a better result than enchanting a +3. Also, since armor and weapons are likely to add keywords as well, I'd likely reduce their B values in that formula since the keyword is already giving a big boost at +0 that doesn't increase at higher pluses. That would make the effects side feel less like it has diminishing returns, at least in a direct sense, though overall they'd still be diminishing since the keyword side wouldn't be improving.
Bringslite
Hi Bob,

So I am getting that some enchants will give bonuses to "skills" (such as those listed on the character sheet) and some will give bonuses to scores like "resistances", "defense bonuses?" and "attack bonuses" (such as those also listed on the character sheet).

Is that correct or not? Will there be some bonuses/scores from those that can't be improved via enchanting?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Also, will certain items be limited to only one possible "bonus type"?

and

will there be a limit (besides Enchantment Points) on how much of a certain bonus (from enchanting) that a character can stack? i.e. can I stack up a bunch of fire resist or attack bonus?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
Hi Bob,

So I am getting that some enchants will give bonuses to "skills" (such as those listed on the character sheet) and some will give bonuses to scores like "resistances", "defense bonuses?" and "attack bonuses" (such as those also listed on the character sheet).

Is that correct or not? Will there be some bonuses/scores from those that can't be improved via enchanting?

That's basically correct. Stephen worked up a preliminary list of enchantments that's pretty comprehensive, but I haven't done a full audit to see if there's anything it doesn't cover. In general, the kinds of bonuses provided are pretty similar to those provided by various feats, and a large number of those appear to be covered. The only exception I've noticed so far is that I don't see any that offer a bonus to Power. Of course, there's nothing preventing us from adding more

Once I've reworked the enchantments spreadsheet based on changes we're already planning, I'll post it so you can all see the specific enchantments we're planning to do first. I'm not sure we'll release all the planned enchantments at once, since some may require more work/testing and can be added later as they become functional. My priority is to get the ones that improve refining and crafting skills out first, since we want those out well before +4 and +5 structures are required. They're also some of the most straight-forward to implement and test. Fortunately, once those are working, a bunch of others are similar enough that they'll follow quickly after, hopefully in the initial release. Others may take a bit more time.
Bob
Bringslite
Also, will certain items be limited to only one possible "bonus type"?

Each item will have a list of Enchant Groups, and each enchantment can only be applied to certain Enchant Groups. For example, a Lavish Ring is considered Finger 3 and Ring 3 (the 3 being its tier), while a Silvered Iron Dagger is considered Weapon 1, Dagger 1 and Martial Weapon 1. The ring could be enchanted to a Superior Ring of Protection (Base Defense Bonus) and the dagger to a Thundering Silvered Dagger (adds Sonic damage). However, you can't make a Superior Silvered Dagger of Protection or a Thundering Ring.

Which items are allowed to receive a particular enchantment can range from general (weapons) to specific (shortbows), and in-between (ranged weapons). There won't be coded restrictions, but the initial list tends to group things as follows:

• Attack Bonuses: Belts, Rings
  • Encumbrance Bonuses: Pouches, Packs
  • Recovery/Regeneration Bonuses: Neck, Rings
  • Resistance Bonuses: Armor, Neck, Rings
  • Profession/Knowledge Bonuses: Hats or Circlets(some use one, some use the other, none use both), Rings
  • Stealth Bonuses: Hats, Cloaks, Rings
  • Damage Bonuses: Weapons
  • Critical Resistance or Hit Point Bonuses: Helms, Rings
  • Defense Bonuses: Helms, Rings, Cloaks

I've simplified things there a bit, but that should give you an overall idea of how the enchantments are spread across different items.
Bob
Bringslite
Will there be a limit (besides Enchantment Points) on how much of a certain bonus (from enchanting) that a character can stack? i.e. can I stack up a bunch of fire resist or attack bonus?

Good point. There will be a new Enchanted channel, and most of these effects will be applied there and thus won't stack with each other. The only exceptions listed so far are the Encumbrance bonuses, which are intended to stack. On the other hand, only Packs and Pouches can get those bonuses, so you can only equip 2 at a time.
Jazc
Boots & Gloves?
Bringslite
Thanks, Bob. Looks like a good start! smile
My only concern being that, with very limited stack ability, enchanted items may not feel very impactful.

Any plans for multiple enchantments capability? Could you base that off of +4 and +5 items?

Any plans to name some of the enchanted items after PFRPG specific items? Edit: I know this would be tricky as the two systems are not much alike.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post