Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Enchanting

Lisa Stevens
Bringslite
Any plans to name some of the enchanted items after PFRPG specific items? Edit: I know this would be tricky as the two systems are not much alike.

Yep. I believe that this is only a part of the Enchanting plan. The easiest to get out the door while the team works on the rest. Bob and I have talked at length about putting in recipes for all kinds of PFRPG specific items. Some we could do with the tech we have. Some would require new tech to make them work. Think of Enchanting as something that will grow and evolve over time. This is just the start.

-Lisa
Bringslite
Lisa Stevens
Bringslite
Any plans to name some of the enchanted items after PFRPG specific items? Edit: I know this would be tricky as the two systems are not much alike.

Yep. I believe that this is only a part of the Enchanting plan. The easiest to get out the door while the team works on the rest. Bob and I have talked at length about putting in recipes for all kinds of PFRPG specific items. Some we could do with the tech we have. Some would require new tech to make them work. Think of Enchanting as something that will grow and evolve over time. This is just the start.

-Lisa
Great Move! Thanks, Lisa. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Jazc
Boots & Gloves?

Looks like Stephen hadn't gotten to the Boots and Gloves yet. There's a note in the design docs that he was considering having them add effects that were triggered when using associated utilities, but he clearly didn't have a chance to work through all that. I'll have to put some thought into it, see what makes the most sense.
Bob
Lisa Stevens
Bringslite

Some of the planned names are already based heavily on PFRPG items. For example, the encumbrance enchantments all result in [Lesser/Greater/Superior] [Item Name] of Holding, though the full names are certainly more complicated than just Bag of Holding. Similarly, the stealth enchantments result in [Lesser/Greater/Superior] [Item Name] of Elvenkind.

That said, we may want to reconsider and reserve some of those names for later use with more specialty items. All the currently-listed names are from an unfinalized draft, so everything's subject to change, and our interest in bringing more PFRPG items into the game might push us toward some of those changes.
Bob
Bringslite
My only concern being that, with very limited stack ability, enchanted items may not feel very impactful.

Any plans for multiple enchantments capability? Could you base that off of +4 and +5 items?

Multiple enchantments per item wouldn't really help with the stacking issue, and would generally increase the likelihood of stack issues, since you'd still only get the best of each specific bonus and would have more bonuses to conflict with each other. It would, however, make it possible to have more bonuses overall, and there are a lot more possible bonuses than there are equipment slots. It might be a little tricky to specify which enchantments are compatible with each other, and the naming could get weird, but it could be made to work. There'd be a lot of details to work through.
Bringslite
Bob
Bringslite
My only concern being that, with very limited stack ability, enchanted items may not feel very impactful.

Any plans for multiple enchantments capability? Could you base that off of +4 and +5 items?

Multiple enchantments per item wouldn't really help with the stacking issue, and would generally increase the likelihood of stack issues, since you'd still only get the best of each specific bonus and would have more bonuses to conflict with each other. It would, however, make it possible to have more bonuses overall, and there are a lot more possible bonuses than there are equipment slots. It might be a little tricky to specify which enchantments are compatible with each other, and the naming could get weird, but it could be made to work. There'd be a lot of details to work through.
I haven't played TT for a really long time but aren't there more options in TT for specific bonus types (in more than one channel) than are available in PFO? I mean, for example, if I could source a different defense bonus from a different channel I could stack my defense bonus total higher than possible here in PFO.

Do you think that, considering the much wider numbers range in the D20 system and the PFO system, the total bonuses available are close to equivalent(as impactful)? Or can they/should they even be?

My concern is will it be worth it to invest in enchanting our gear or will all bonuses be = to practically not having any at higher levels?

Edit: Hopefully these questions even make sense… hehe
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
I haven't played TT for a really long time but aren't there more options in TT for specific bonus types (in more than one channel) than are available in PFO? I mean, for example, if I could source a different defense bonus from a different channel I could stack my defense bonus total higher than possible here in PFO.

Do you think that, considering the much wider numbers range in the D20 system and the PFO system, the total bonuses available are close to equivalent(as impactful)? Or can they/should they even be?

My concern is will it be worth it to invest in enchanting our gear or will all bonuses be = to practically not having any at higher levels?

It's hard to make a direct comparison between TT and PFO for this. TT has a lot more bonus types than we do channels, but it also has a lot more exceptions to the standard rule of "same type doesn't stack, different type does stack." The underlying math/numbering systems also work differently enough between the two to make comparisons difficult. I do think overall that we shoot for smaller differences with our bonuses, as well as less chances to stack bonuses, and part of that stems from our desire to keep PvP combat relatively balanced. However, we do try to make sure that every bonus counts, and I think the ones planned for enchanting will be noticeable.

Because the bulk of the bonuses from enchantments will go into the Enchanted channel, they won't stack with each other, but they'll stack with everything you're getting from your other channels. The only real risk you face is that the enchantment bonuses will start running up against the various maximums for things they're effecting, like the 300 maximum for the skill ratings. Or they may get you so close to those maximums that various buffs you like to use would take you over them and thus won't be as useful any more. In those cases, you're just better off wearing things that provide bonuses in things where you're not so close to the maximums, and wearing a mix of things that benefit different things. There should be enough different bonuses available that you'll be able to find something different for each slot that's still giving you a useful bonus. As long as you avoid going over your maximums, it should always be worth at least something to wear an enchanted item rather than a regular one.
Bringslite
Thx, Bob. I get what you are getting at here. Edit: Took back the questions here. I think that I am getting a wee bit too analytical and messing with balance in systems that I don't have a good grasp on.

Fact is, I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
Thx, Bob. I get what you are getting at here. One of my questions is, with the current math, does a "+6 to mining" really make a difference to the result realized by a miner(or any skill check) with a score of 215 already or are the results spilt by larger number differences when that high?

There are indeed diminishing marginal returns at that level, but even small numbers do still make a difference. In particular, for T3 crafting and refining, only your skills over 160 are taken into account for refining crits and crafting upgrade bonuses. As a result, extra points at the high end make more of a difference there than for lower-tiered crafting/refining.

Also, while these numbers aren't final, the planned bonuses can be a lot better than just +6 to mining. If you're enchanting a T1/2/3 item with Lesser Profession: Miner, the current bonus formula is ItemPlus + 7, so even the minimum bonus on mining is from 7-12. But if you enchant a T3 item with Superior Profession: Miner, the formula is (ItemPlus x 5) + 25, for a range of 25-50. That'd be an expensive piece of gear, but worth it for a high-level miner.
Bringslite
Thank You. Those numbers and info make me feel better. I am going to quit bugging you now so you can have a Friday night if possible! smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post